Next step with Astrolux?

Astrolux has come out with some of the better lights to date. Really designed in the BLF fashion; budget, simply and mod friendly. I have an idea for possibly the next step up over the EC-06. 4-21700’s with 9-XHP50’s or 6-XHP70’s. Bring the head up to around 80mm’s. Keep everything else that’s EC-06; electronic switch, heavy mass, charging port. Scale it up and keep the general shape. Call it the EC-09 or EC-06 Plus. Does it sound like a possibility? I really just throwing an idea out and seeing if it’s got any chance.

I thought about 2s3p with a longer body but then you need protected cells with severe current caps. Just a scaled up soda can light monster. Possible screw on handle similar to the Amutorch DM70 for our smaller handed people.

Like I mentioned I’m just thinking out loud to see if it’s a good enough idea getting have enough push to make it happen.

Personally, I think the next step is to go with high CRI LEDs :smiley:

That should be requested with each light model produced. I’m elated just to see sometimes 5700K options over the standard 6500K.

Hey, I mean with Getian LEDs now being an option in way more sizes, it is definitely possible if we ask for more :smiley:

Astrolux/BLF A6 style light with Anduril and tail e-switch.

The Astrolux MF03 never came out: Astrolux MF03 - new pictures + video

Four 21700s would be nice. Eight XHP70.3 90CRI or GT-FC60 R9080 even nicer. :sunglasses:

XHP70.3 HI!

I would like to see something like this with xhp50.3 HI, but the same as you said:

9 x xhp50.3 HI

3 x 21700

same basic shape and design as the ec06.

By using the xhp50.3 HI, in 6volt or 12volt configuration, they can sell it as 6500k / 5000k, but then it at least allows us as the consumer to later mod it to 3000k 90CRI, if we wanted.

by using a 3volt led (50.3), then there is not even an opportunity to have 5000k even with owner modifications.

at this point I'd really like to see something using 6volt or 12volt led setups.

70.3 would be fine bc then it would have to be 6v/12v, and would allow us to make a great mod later if we wanted.

just my 2 cents, but I would definitely buy it.

The only issue is that the EC06 could only sustain 1000 lumens when set at a 50°C limit, basically a bright flash and nothing else worth while. It would need a lot of deep fins to make it stand out

In my opinion, the next step, not only for Astrolux, but for most manufacturers, should be to increasingly standardize Dual channel flashlights, with flood leds and throw led/leds.

I mean, optics with a central led for throw (or more leds with designed optics), and around other leds for flooding.

Let’s see, if in the size of an Emisar D4S2 Dual Channel, with two Osram W1 in one of the channels, you can have a very good throw, in a flashlight with the size of an Astrolux MF01S you could put 4 or 5 Osram W1 in the center, with even larger optics , which would give an impressive range, and around these you can put 12 flood leds with high CRI, and you would have a light that is good for everything in terms of illumination.

There would also be the option of using LEP in the center, but they are too expensive.

I would also like to see a future anduril 3 (or whatever you want to call it), in which we finally forget about having to press a button 200,000 times to do something, and we have an interface with an OLED screen, with some buttons, doing a much more user-friendly interface. I am referring to screen and buttons for configuration, information and advanced actions. For normal use of the flashlight, once you have configured it to your liking, it would be nice to continue having a single button.

Ah, I forgot, there is also the subject of active cooling, that is, integrated fans. This is something that should also start to be standardized.

Looks like we might be getting one with 7 XHP70.3’s and 1 mystery one in the middle. Charging ports will be very well sealed. Removable carry handle.

Regulated drivers

Yes please! It can make a so-so light into a nice one.

Astrolux vs Convoy? I don’t know, it’s close. Probably pick Convoy for better quality and price. Don’t get me wrong, I have 100+ Astrolux lights. I don’t like Andruil, probably why I would go with Convoy.

Convoy has been putting out incredible lights lately, e.g. 4x18, incredible.

Whereas the MF01X is a disappointment.

Better QC.

As much as I love Convoy, I give Astrolux the nod here. Astrolux has better diversity in their product line. Convoy has yet to impress me with multi emitter lights on the order the MF01 line (esp the Mini) and fet-based pocket rockets or e-switch lights. Anduril isn’t my first choice for a flashlight UI either, but man, I’m hooked on the well-executed smooth and stepped ramping and ability to customize things. Convoys ramping has a ways to go refinement-wose. Plus, they haven’t fielded a dedicated thrower nor offered an LEP. Convoy has gotten a lot better of late, but are still playing catch up to bigger brands.

I was ready to order several astrolux FT series when they were released but didn’t buy any of them because of the same issue, after the brief turbo period the output almost completely drops to an unusable level and never goes back up, this is easily solved via firmware but somehow they simply refuse to acknowledge this problem.

Here’s a review by zeroair on the FT03 where the light wasn’t turned off but it simply drops to near zero:

Note that it takes approximately 5 minutes for the light to reach its tipping point, enough time for some actual temp regulation to take place.

If they can’t make it to work like PID, at least make it dumb and use timed output drop to a sustainable level. The SST40 in this host can easily sustain 800lm even in hot enviroments.

Flashlights are tools and this is really basic funcionality, yeah sure they can cramp dozens of high output emitter into a small flashlight to please enthusiasts but at the of the day if it can’t perform simple tasks they’re not worth buying IMO.

Thrower/flooder combo with active cooling.

Even easier and cheaper might be a Bluetooth interface and program the driver on your phone.

Personally, I don’t want any Bluetooth or screen or whatever.

I want to use the immense potential of USB-C to be able to actually flash firmware to the light.