Next step with Astrolux?

I remember seeing his review after my first-batch FT03 was ordered and I was waiting its arrival…bothered me a little. Once I got the light I was pleased to find that it didn’t exhibit that behavior at all. First of all, NarsilM lets you configure that if you want (disable entirely, set your own temperature (default I think is 55C), or pick one of several timer options up to seven minutes (safer than disabling)). But running my light on turbo, I found that when it stepped down after a couple minutes (2-3, never timed it really) it went to the top of the ramp, not all the way down to the depths of moon. lol. I think top of ramp on this is 50% or so if I remember right. And if that happens you can just bump it right back up if you want, subject to your configuration options.

In actual use, I have no problems whatsoever with that light or the turbo duration. If you truly need higher turbo output for longer times, then yeah, a different light/driver is the answer, but if the temperatures outside are cool or cold, disabling the stepdown will allow it to keep going longer than what your battery is probably going to be happy delivering. Upgraded mine to 26800 and have been enjoying that a lot although with the right 26650 it was also great. I wonder if his particular Vapcell 21700 was maybe a poor choice in that out of the box review. I also remember him stating that lvp didn’t work, but if I recall he didn’t let it run down low enough for it to kick in. It’s pretty low, like 2.8 or maybe 2.7 (not listed in the manual), which is lower than I’ll ever take my cells on purpose. Anyway, I was happy that the light was functionally pretty awesome and didn’t exhibit what Zero’s turbo-chart does. But if it did, there are options in the firmware to help mitigate that, which apparently Zero didn’t bother with.

Banggood has gotten pretty high with their pricing on Astrolux parts and accessories, when they have them in stock. I’d like to see that bump down a bit.

Regulated boost or buck-boost drivers seem to be what everyone is clamoring for lately in cheaper lights and that would be awesome. If Mateminco could use their abilities to bring some driver designs to market without increasing the cost toooo much, they would probably get a ton of sales for whichever models use them. Seems to be a logical next-step rather than more mega-lumen lights, fun as those are.

I’m glad they embraced the 26800 format some, too, and hope they continue with that. Actually a 26800 with a regulated driver…now that would get my money fast. And if Astrolux would bring out a decent 2- or 4-bay charger that would accept 26800…on board with that, too. Looks like the Xtar one will only be 2-bay and not full zoot. Perhaps Astrolux has a better reason to do so in support of the lights they sell now, and whoever they contract with for chargers could surely accommodate.

Personally, I’m a simple man.

I’d be glad if Astrolux 3V designs started to use buck+FET driver designs.

Even just a 3A buck + FET design would make the lights a lot more usable.

So by the time you drop out of regulation, the battery is essentially depleted anyway?

Yes, so we actually get good decent regulated brightness(700-1000 lumens) throughout the whole battery range.

The new Emisar D4V2 with its boost driver shows a very large difference in runtime with the linear vs the boost driver.

I asked someone who makes lights happen if the following would be feasible.

A scaled up reflector from the Nightwatch NS59v1 for 9-XHP50’s or a scaled up head from the EC06 for 6-XHP70’s. 4-21700 cells, detachable carry handle, removable tail cap. Slight turn on the tail cap to stop parasitic drain. Complete opening for charging but with only a simple micro port. It offers true waterproofing and no rubber plugs to pop off when the light gets hot. The Nightwatch NS59v1 nice light but eats batteries like candy low capacity/high amperage. I fear that the scale up with three cells will go for low capacity/high amperage. With 4 instead 3 cells and the following described build moderate capacity cells could be used upping capacity for 3-3000 (9000mah) to 4-4200 (16,800mah) nearly twice the capacity. Granted for simple recharging the batteries would be soda can style with 4p set up. It would look like a scaled up EC06.

Would any here be interested in a light so described.

I would be definitely interested in a 4x 21700 flashlight if it has a competitive price like most Astrolux and Nightwatch flashlights.

I would prefer 8 XHP70 as with 7 outer leds you get an almost round spill shape. Make it a bit deeper like the Manker MK38 reflector for more throw.

With 4p cells you will need a boost driver for 6V leds and with 2s2p you lose the charging option.

Here’s the thing with boost/buck drivers with a FET channel: they’re expensive and complicated to mass produce especially now with rampant components shortages. It’s feasible though since Sofirn has the SP35 and Convoy has the 8 amp buck driver, but the thing is, neither has an FET channel so we’re making due with expensive lights with boost or buck drivers or budget lights with FET+7135. I’ve tested enough of both types to know that boost/buck are superior, but relegated to expensive lights for the time being.

Maybe in 2023 things will stabilize, but for now hurry up and wait and enjoy your FET+7135 drivers. I actually like the Astrolux Mf01 mini driver. Decent output and fairly good regulation on 7135.

Man 4x 21700 - Just too fat. Unless you add a handle.
Instead how about making it longer and putting the cells side by side 2 in a row.
The rectangular shape would be much easier to hold and the longer size would be better balanced.

Also scoop out some of the metal between the rows of cells to reduce weight and a better grip.
Sort of like the scallops on a revolver cylinder.
All the Best,
Jeff

I agree with Jeff, 4 is just too fat.

4x21700 is an absolute requirement for my next flashlight. And also NW, WW or 4000K, 2500 lm sustainable output minium.