Nichia 319A D440 Output test by Texas_Ace; Hex die LED gives a nice beam

XHP70s are easier to drive from Li-ions than most COBs, and I imagine he has a bunch of XHP70s just sitting around anyway. I don’t think practicality was a concern - he probably just wanted to be able to say “100,000 lumens”.

I prefer practical lights too, and nice color over raw output, hence the Nichias.

Yup, impracticality detected. Great show-off light though…
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?430717-X65vn2870-100-000-Lumen-Light

What’s the diameter of the die?

Hmmm, based on that picture he is pushing things very close to the limits at 100k lumens. I saw that he said it was a test rig but still, it appears he is driving them off of 18650 cells.

Long story short I would love to know how many 18650’s he is using and how they are setup.

Haven’t measure it yet. Bigger than 219C, smaller than XPL for sure

Has someone testet them in a parallel triple in direct drive? Will they survive?

I built a “mega-M6” with 12 of these 319A 5000k 80CRI. They work great and have a great beam and color, output is good as well, although not quite up to XP-L levels. The Low VF means that they will pull a lot of power though, so watch out if using an FET driver.

You can see it here: 13,333 lumen Nichia 319A "Mega M6" by Texas_Ace, I had to use over 6 feet of wire to reduce the power!

I built one a while back…no problem. Very floody beam.

Yeah, they are on the floody side for sure.