Nichia 519A

BTW, does anyone know of a triple/quad 519A light with a buck or boost driver?

The Convoy S12 (triple + reflector) and S16 (quad + TIR) use buck drivers.

Also, Simon literally just added a quad MCPB in a 2S2P layout, which he is likely intending to pair with his 6V boost driver for the XHP70.2.

Nice.

Iā€™m going to be buying it when it comes out :slight_smile:

Yes. I put the flashlight on low, grab my camera/phone with the other hand, go to turbo and take the measurement/picture. Weā€™re talking a few seconds here, 5 sec max. Any longer I wouldnā€™t rely on proper heat dissipation.

I put it back together again already. Maybe another day. But custom firmware might work. As far as I know turbo canā€™t be disabled by default, but probably very easy in software. Biggest problem is probably getting to the glued driver to flash it. Note that on high it still went over 7A with stock ceiling setting.

Once my 519a emitters arrive I might put 1 in the FC11. Might not get the most out of it, but easier since the gasket and OP reflector are already in place. Vf might be a problem though.

Same product page has triple mcpcb + TIR as well. Was thinking of using it with the 519a in the S12D and get a slightly higher output compared to the quad. 90 degree angle though, so output probably gets mostly spread out.

Pardon my ignorance, but you are using a 203, which is not capable of measuring DC current. By how much percent is the measurement off?

I think it says DC on screen on the left of the amperage?

It does DC and visible on screen (albeit a bit hard to read).

And from manual:

Thank you both, I found offers on AE where DC current was excluded from the specs. My fault.

You just named off my dream light!

Nice new really high CRI led. :-)

You can internally clean the potentiometer knobs of your power supply by spinning them round all the way repeatedly. Do it a good deal of times, and the fluctuations should dissapear.

A small package with 519As arrived today and I stuck one in a Sofirn SP10V3. I can see why you all like this emitter, Iā€™m joining the fanclub!

You make it sound so easy! I want to learnā€¦lol

I was in your shoes not too long ago. Wanted to do it, but terrified it would be difficult and Iā€™d destroy a bunch of expensive emitters in the process with nothing to show for. What really made the difference was one of those cheap heatplates you see on AE (e.g. like this one ). That was a game changer, for me at least. Most of the other tools I already had.
Another headache was getting a syringe with quality solder paste. Donā€™t know how it is now, but a month ago it was out of stock everywhere I looked. Btw, donā€™t underestimate how expensive this paste is. You can buy many emitters for the same cost, so might not be worth it if you only plan on swapping 1 or 2 emitters. Oh and thermal paste.
Otherwise the usual tools such a steady hand, tweezers and toothpicks (youā€™d be surprised how incredibly useful these are!). And off course a soldering iron to get the whole thing out of the flashlightā€™s head. Also recommend something to clean with (e.g. isopropanol and cotton buds), magnifying glass to inspect afterwards and a DMM for a quick check if your handywork actually lights up. Youā€™ll be on a swapping rampage before you know it.

TLDR; just bite the bullet and count on at least 1 destroyed emitter. The cost of learning :wink:

I appreciate that! It is a matter of timeā€¦ Iā€™m going to get after it and learn.

Same setup: S2+ host, clear lens / non AR, OP reflector, Convoy 5A driver at lowest mode. Length to wall: 6cm.

Taken by phone camera. (WB: 5000K | ISO: 100 | EV: ā€“1.3)

Left to Right:

1. sm273 (R9080)
  2. sm303 (R9080)
  3. sm353 (R9080)
  4. sm403 (R9080)
  5. sm453 (R9080)
  6. sm455 (R9080)
  7. sm503 (R9080)
  8. sm505 (R70)
  9. sm573 (R9080)

1 Thank

The Convoy 5A driver is a buck driver, right?

Very nice pic peyoX, is the R70 sm505 really that green or that is due to the camera (low CRI often appears greener on camera)

From what I seeā€¦ I would take a mix of:

1. sm273 (R9080)
2. sm303 (R9080)

And just see what happens!