Nichia NVSU233A-D1 U365

I am ignorant of the applications. Is this the prophecy for 2017 uV sterilization revolution that led magazine gave? Or is this a black light? Just curious, since it would take years to convince me uV kills germs fast enough to replace chemicals. Though I am interested in the claims. Does it work through glass, how long, how many watts, etc. .

Or are blacklights and uV germ killers the same?

Watched enough cri, had enough Halloween, and watched enough 20/20 to know to never take a blacklights into a hotel room where you are staying.

nichia getting interesting as always.
great thanks clemence for everything you do.

From what I know/read, UV does kill bacterias but, different bacterias killed with different UV spectrums. 365nm is way too far offfrom what usually used for sterilization (255nm - 280nm). Lower wavelenght certainly increase the risk to eye injury.
As in many UV sterilization, clarity is the key. Each passing through any medium will weakens the electromagnetic energy, thus reducing it’s power over distance. For example: those UV pass filter claimed to block any visible lights (while still passing UV) reduced the total amount of UV passed. This is also how UV block eye protection goggle works.

In my UV photo sessions, I used electric arc welder goggle. All UV rays looked yellow behind this glass, yet I still experienced tingling pain when accidentally looked too close

- Clemence

Yes, the sterilasation revolution is about 270nm leds, they have become way more powerful and cheaper over the last year(s). We still talk about only a few milliwatts (compared to 1000mW for a modern 365nm led), but it is enough to be used in affordable and portable low power water sterilisation devices.

I read about those sub 280nm LEDs they are not so common and powerful yet.
But compared to 365nm the sterelisation effectivness is about hundret times stronger and it kills everything.

Very nice LED.
I like the narrow flood / beam in particular (i dislike the S2+ UV light for its tight beam and weak spill (which is normal for a S2+ but not handy for UV i.m.o.))
Hope you can get some for a reasonable price (like $ 10.— each ‘normal’ brightness bin…? :zipper_mouth_face: )

Sure for 1/4 of the LED. Which part? The glass dome is a nice one :laughing:
It’s impossible Jeroen. I don’t think I can provide this one. The purchase risk is just too high. Unless they let me buy in much smaller quantity 25pcs or even less.

- Clemence

If you ever get a 333A sample inform me

Sure

Cancelled the purchase plan. Got info about the new NVSU233B - D1, it will be launched very soon.
Huge improvement from 1030mW to whooping 1400mW (365nm).

- Clemence

:crown: :crown: :crown:

Now i am using a 365nm LED from Hank. Would be a nice update + ~50% output increase. Is this new LED also available in 385nm? 385nm because most of the UV glue and dental UV plastics need a 385nm light source for best performance.

Yes 365nm - 405nm: UV | NICHIA CORPORATION

The new pre production NVSU233B-D4 365nm launched

I just received two of these emitters. Does anyone have a host recommendation? Is there a host that would compliment the needs and uses of a uv emitter?

1. You have to find a good non DTP board with 233 series UV LED. Current UV LED techs can only converts ~10-12% of the input power to radiant flux - double the heat compared to most white LEDs
2. Any lights with 1,5 - 2 A max output current is safer. You can’t drive them too hard
3. Definitely NOT compatible with normal PMMA TIR optics. So far only glass, quartz, and silicone TIR optics are good with UV LED. Reflector or glass aspheric based lights will do just fine.

Ok. Thanks clemence. I have the copper boards from djozz. I have two emitters. One I will use for fun and curing glue. The other will go in a host to sell probably. For every light I make for myself I have to make 3-4 to sell. You know… is there use for uv in aspheric thrower? I can see an aspheric in flood mode would give good beam distribution when searching for uv reactive materials.

Weapon mounted UV thrower light perhaps? Useful for small creatures/paper money hunting over a long distance.
Or simply to speed up the glue/resin curing.

I suppose I could them help my neighbors cure glue from the comfort of my own home. :smiley:

Whoa, smart idea! Never thought about this before! :+1: :disappointed:

But seriously, tightly focused UV should do the curing much faster than the floody one. This is how high speed ink curing is done