nitecore D2 problem?

Just received my D2 from Bangood
The question I have is regarding the cut off voltage. It cuts off at 4.15v but the LCD readout says 4.20v. I have just put a cell in that reads 4.09v on my DMM but 4.15v on the D2.

The DMM is very accurate and the strange thing is when I charger my eneloops it is far more accurate (well within the 1%).

Any ideas or am being overly concerned?

Marc.

Any ideas guys?

Marc.

I can’t help you with that, it just makes me said to hear about it. I’m about to pull the trigger on one.
I’m sure some of the more knowledgeable folks will be able to help you.

Bump.

Is it during charging, or after charging?

If it is after charging, that is within normal limits (voltage sag).

What kind of batteries? (old, laptop pulls, otherwise) the internal resistance will increase with age, exacerbating the sag.

this is normal with this charger, see HKJ’s review.

It is before, during and after. I test a cell with my DMM and it reads 4.09, put it straight in the charger and it reads 4.15. When the charging is finished the D2 reads 4.20 but my DMM reads 4.14/4.15v.

The cells are 4 brand new Panasonic PFs and the rest are sanyos FMs with only 10 or 15 cycles on them.

Thanks’

Marc

Good Day Marc,

Please check Your DMM's reading with another DMM, and make sure its battery is well charged (& not on its last legs).

Best Regards,

George

Jeez, .04v discrepancy? Don’t worry about it, it’s trivial, it’s NOT overcharging, won’t make ANY difference at all in the real life operation/performance, and might actually contribute to a longer cell life. It’s within the ‘normal’ operating limits of a charger of this class and price range.

I am constantly amazed that people seem to think something that costs less than $20, does all the things a charger like this does and still should be accurate to 0.01v. Get real.

Note-checking voltage on NiMh, even eneloops is not a terribly useful exercise. Voltage numbers show almost nothing of value about available performance or capacity.

You’re still within 1.5%

From memory on some tests I did charging to 4.15v versus 4.2v only resulted in a difference of about 2% in discharge capacity tests. In real life usage it would be unnoticeable.

I think it can be argued that the vast majority of charger/dischargers are not accurate to 2%.

@ keengeorge. I have checked the DMM against my friends Fluke.

I am not overly concerned about it stopping at 4.15 as it is better for my cells. I did however feel I needed to ask the question as Nitecore say 1% and this is beyond that.

@WWW. Don’t be put off its a superb piece of kit very high quality feel to it. Just make sure you get a code.

Thanks for all the replies,

Marc.

It’s common knowledge in this group (and other similar ones) that claims of performance in Chinese electronics are often anything from exaggeration to whopping lies. What’s good about these kind of forums it the opportunity to shed light on that kind of behavior.

The point I’m trying to make is that pretty much none of this kind of charger, almost no matter what the price is THAT accurate, let alone cheap chargers. HJK’s reviews are an incredible asset to forming a realistic opinion of performance for much if this kind of electronic kit.

Yes nothing is totally accurate with them boys. I guess it just annoyed me a little so I thought I would ask you all what you thought. Apart from that I have to say it is very impressive as chargers go.

Marc

Accuracy vs quality assurance is another “Chinese” variable to contend with. Extensive reading on ANY charger will show some conflicting opinions and information. Some of that is owner expectation, which is sometimes unrealistic. Other times one unit is great, another unit not so much, and another unit a lemon.
I got a Nitecore Intellicharger D2 and I have adequate tools to evaluate performance. Kind of like yours it mildly undercharged Li-on, which I was fine with. OTOH it semi-nasty-overcharged (got hot) NiMh, which I was not fine with. Other owners did not have that experience.

I don’t mind undercharging my cells it just seems the easy bit (the voltage read out) could at least be accurate.

It charges my NiMH OK though.

Marc.

Theoretically, yes it would seem so. I think there is a lot of variation in sourcing components, quality of same, and quality of assembly, let alone quality assurance.
I’ve seen some RC Hobby chargers (IMAX B6) go from fine > terrible > and then back to OK after the word got out that they had become crap. Now they have the problem of being counterfeited with substandard components and assembly (the original is still OK). It’s a known issue but lots of unwary people end up buying them. Sadly the majority probably have no way to validate performance (many have trouble simply operating them), so may never know they are potentially dangerous or screwing up their batteries.

If people were to read HKJ's testing one would see that it is much better that a charger terminate a slight bit early than late. Terminating late is extremely dangerous and he will not recommend any that do. Are these things 100% on the money....never in a million years for these $20 chargers. :)

Regardless of the ‘other D2 thread’ it seems a nice charger. I’m happy with it cutting off at 4.15 I just wish it would say that on the LCD panel and not 4.20. Just check validation code :wink:

Marc