Nitecore EA8 tear down - Modding will be later and in a different thread.

One also needs to keep in mind, that selfbuilt’s light was a pre-production sample supplied directly by Nitecore for the purpose of a public review; therefore you really can’t trust the results because we don’t know if they cherry picked that light for the review or even IF the production light they are shipping has the same exact internal parts/design. You’ll also notice if you’ve read his reviews over the years, he carefully words them to not upset the manufactures; in many reviews if you read between the lines you’ll get the real picture.

Just like the holster on the P25 they had reviewed did NOT get shipped out in their retail production units.

One must always take these manufacture’s supplied test sample reviews with a grain of salt.

A much better test would be to purchase one from a Retailer and the retailer not be able to associate the buyers name with that of a well known reviewer.

For people mentioning a positive feedback loop and thermal runaway from Nitecore trying to compensate for lumen sag by increasing current, it’s true in a sense, but increasing current would still increase output more than the increased lumen sag would detract from it so it would still be technically possible to compensate in output terms by doing so, which is why I didn’t bring it up before. Anyway, it doesn’t really matter as while possible it is still completely implausible that nitecore would do that anyway.

Thanks for doing that more complete test relic, interesting results.

I thought self builts runtime tests used a fan. If so that explains why his runtime tests often are flat.

This heatsink doesn’t look good, but then again look at the new Cree 9.5W LED (60W replacement) bulbs from home depot. They don’t even have much of a heatsink at all. I was very shocked how they are capable of dealing with 9.5W’s and Cree stands behind them with a 10 year warranty…

Yeah the fan explains why it keeps completely flat, but cooling to the body can only work effectively if there is a decent thermal path to the body in the first place, so it was still good evidence with regards to heat sag (or lack of it) with regards to that issue.

I know what you mean about LED bulbs, they are generally press-fit into the heatsink with little contact area and run at high output and temperatures for extended periods of time way beyond what any of our torches can expect to be put through.

Honestly, Thank you for testing it.

It took someone with some knowledge, skills and some reasoning ability, to show that what I did to begin with was wrong, because I have no knowledge, no skills, or scientific reasoning ability. I just go with knee-jerk reactions and mistaken assumptions confirmed by misleading information, based with no scientific or logical testing to prove it. I do it all the time. I've done it all my life. It's a big weakness of mine, but I have no desire to change.

I edited the OP, to warn people that this thread is useless to read, because my initial assumptions are totally unfounded and just more hot air, as I like to do all the time.

I sincerely apologize, but I won't ever change, so just leave it at that.

Buy Nitecores, there's nothing wrong with them. Actually there's probably no lights out there that will hit a 130c or higher, so what does any of it matter.... See, right back to the blanket statements with no confirmation... That's me.

See ya.

I didn’t use a fan and my EA4’s output was flat for over 45 minutes both times I tested it (see graph I posted above). Considering that data was recorded every two seconds, output was very stable.

FWIW here’s how my EA4’s output declined just before stepdown. I can do it again recording every second but every two seconds still captures the essence of the decline over the first three minutes, starting with a “cold” light (room temp).

As a side note on heat sag, I didn’t use a fan with any of these four 18650 lights either and they all got HOT. Recorded light output every two seconds here too, but not temperature, and am wondering about the heat sag, especially with the Convoy M1.

I tested the Cree bulb. That heatsink gets over 100 degees C! And the light’s lumen output drops over 20%. The caps in the driver are rated at 105C. It would be interesting to get a thermocouple on them… particularly with the bulb mounted base-up…

I think most are interested with EA4 running on Turbo all the time. That is when heatsink performance is very important.

O-L, when it comes to knowledge about flashlight mods, there’s you and there’s us mere mortals, so don’t you think you’re being a little too harsh on yourself,even for you :)? We all have our strengths and weaknesses and together we collectively fill in the gaps of our individual knowledge.

Yeah but that’s abusing the light by running it beyond what it’s designed to handle because it steps down after three minutes for a reason. That doesn’t make it a bad light because the EagleTac TX25C2 and the Zebralight SC600 Mk II also step down for example. With that said, all this discussion’s motivated me to seriously think about abusing my EA4.

O-L, I can’t tell if you’re being serious or not, but if so you are being way too hard on yourself. Your effort in taking it apart and looking inside is greatly appreciated and you highlighted some genuine concerns about the heatsink design and internal quality, a lot of which is still valid.

Yeah, you probably over-stepped the mark a little in assuming the heatsink design was worse than it is, but from what it looked like I, and I’m sure most others on here too, would’ve made similar assumptions.

The thread is anything but useless, and you shouldn’t underestimate your knowledge and contribution to this forum.

To me, good heatsinking is also a matter of prestige. A little bit like with computers, I don't care if my CPU runs fine with the boxed cooler doing 60 °C on full throttle, I prefer to spend a few extra bucks, slap a huge chunk of copper and aluminum on the processor and enjoy the fact that it maxes out at 45 °C on full load.

While the heatsinking of this light may be absolutely adequate, it is certainly not ideal and therefore may not be desirable for enthusiast users - even if it's just because of psychological reasons.

^^^^^ EXACTLY what RedForestUK said.

Please keep doing what you're doing.

Please?

thats pretty much how i feel about it. i spent $30-40 on my cpu cooler, and i really didnt need it, wanted it there just incase. if i was going to mod this light, i would want a real heat sink in it. but since im not going to, what is there is sufficient.
would i rather of had them put a real copper or even aluminum heat sink in it? yes.

This thread is really interesting! And I thank Old Lumen for that!
And also Relic38 for those nice measurements!

I am still all for larger pills and better heatsinking that what is stock in that Nitecore light…

There doesn’t have to be anything wrong with a light for me to want a look inside. A well made light should allow for upgrades or modification. I begin to see the fascination of safecracking.

I agree, i like being able to upgrade with new technology as it becomes available

To Nitecore… Just wanted to tell you something…

This is NOT a hamburger!

This is

This is not a pizza!

This is

This is not an engine!

This is!

This is not a tractor!

This is!

And last but not least….
This is not a pill!

This is…. (one of many great examples found on this forum)

:smiley:

Thumbs up RaceR86! :wink:

@ Old-Lumens

Did Nitecore threaten you or something? Please don’t take this down, it gives us all a really nice view of what’s inside, most would not want to open theirs up.

Thank you