Nitecore P12GT replacement

I would get another p12gt. On sale can get them under $50 shipped. Mine is a shelf queen mostly now.

Would be great if there was way even black market to get original nitecore hosts

Thanks for the replies guys. I appreciate it.

Bob

I just looked over the MH12GT specs and it looked great until I saw the mode spacing and runtimes:

High- 1000 lumens, 1hr 15 min
Med- 280 lumens, 3hr 15 min (Edit- my mistake, it’s 6hrs)

Seems like such a great light otherwise, but that ruins it for me. It’s really strange that they set it up like that. On almost every light like this I’ve seen with 1000 lumens there is always a 500-600 lumen mode (it’s usually High, while 1000 is Turbo).

For me, 1hr 15 min on high is just far too short (though obviously understandable given the lumens), and 280 lumens is not high enough as the option one step down from that.

There needs to be a mode around 500-600 lumens as that’s where most would find the best balance between brightness and runtime

But, looking at the P12GT, it has the same spacing so I guess your friend wouldn’t mind.

Hey Nord, I’d double check those runtimes. The 3 h 15 m runtime is for 2x CR123. The stated runtime for 18650 is 6 h.

And in practice, I think you’d find the 280 lm mode to actually be a fair spacing. Our eyes don’t interpret light linearly, some say it’s more like cube-root or something. So the 280 lm will probably appear half as bright as 1000 lm. Perfectly normal as far as mode spacing goes.

^ You’re right about the 280lm runtime, my mistake. They are both about the same.

As far as the spacing, I have to disagree. From 280 to 1000 is not common in 18650 lights that I’ve seen, especially given that 280 is Medium and 1000 is High and not a short duration Turbo. I think it’s far from ideal.

It kind of negates the benefits of an 18650- With this light you’re get a really poor runtime on High, at a lumen level that won’t be much different visually than say 500 lumens as you point out, and on Medium you are getting a lumen level that is achievable in AA sized lights for adequate runtimes. For me, these Nitecores don’t really fulfill any need in a great way.

I would recommend the EagleEye X5R, the version with XP-L HI - http://www.gearbest.com/led-flashlights/pp_345598.html

At $30 it really can’t be beat. Here’s a BLF review of the non-XP-L HI version to get a general idea (but not specs)- EagleEye X5R rechargeable 18650 flashlight with a NW LED- Review

EagleEye is really high quality for the price, I have an X2R and love it.

That’s not even close to the throw of the MH/P12GT

I’m not sure how you’re coming to that conclusion.

Both the X5R and P12GT are XP-L HI 18650 lights of similar lumens and candela and both capable of around 300 meter throw.

“Beam Distance: 150-200m ”

The MH/P12GT is 320m

Just because it has the same LED and battery does not mean it has the same throw :person_facepalming:

I never said they would have the same throw because they have the same LED. I’m saying they are going to have similar throw because they have similar specs all around in nearly every way. The nitecore doesn’t have magic throw dust sprinkled on it.

I don’t think either of the Nitecore or EagleEye listed throw are accurate, you can’t go by that, you have to look at the components.

Please point out the the spec that you believe would give the Nitecore twice the throw.

I think I’ve discovered why it lists the X5R XP-L HI with such low - and obviously incorrect - throw… they are using the same exact specs as their XM-L2 U2 version, they simply didn’t change the specs when creating the XP-L HI listing.

The X5R and MH/P12GT are going to have the same throw essentially.

1. yeah it’s accurate, go look at the reviews and tests.
    The manufacturer ratings are pretty much always an underestimate to allow for margin of error.

2) Having a higher quality reflector, higher current driver, higher transmission lens, etc etc etc all contribute to throw.
You cannot say “oh this has the same LED and battery so it must throw similarly”
Why do you think lux/cd and ANSI throw numbers exist???

Enderman, the specs listed for the X5R XPL HI are incorrect, I don’t don’t how else to help you undertstand. They are the specs for the other version. I have looked for but have not seen any review for the XPL HI version, and certainly not any that measures the throw. You are continuing to base your conclusion on the wrong light.

And contrary to what you are saying, it is not only possible it is in fact a certainty that an XPL HI would increase the throw significanty over the specs you are quoting from the wrong light.if you can show me one review of the XPL HI version with measured specs, or any other correct source of specs for that light please do. As far as I know it doesn’t exist, even the manufacturer put out the specs for the wrong light.

Again, there is no magic at play with the nitecore. The X5R has a similar enough reflector and has the same power source with a driver capable of the same output, and same emitter. The nitecore will not have significanty greater throw, possibly marginally greater throw if any at all. We don’t have the correct specs for the X5R unfortunately.

Of course all the factors you listed come in to play, I never said otherwise. But you’re not saying how these lights differ on these factors, you’re just stating general truisms that we’re all aware of.

So again, what do you base the conclusion of “significantly greater throw” on, in this case, specifically?

Eagle Eye X5R HI probaly has similar throw as Nitrcore P12GT.
Nitecore P12GT and many similar Nitecore models do note have 500 lumens mode which is not good. Visually we do not see big difference between 1000 and 500 lumens but at 500 lumens we have better runtime and stable output.
Nitecore P12GT has better quality than EE X5R, but is more expencive also.
Thrunite TC12 could be some alternative if the throw is not so important.

Exactly, at 500 lumens it would not be much less visually but you would get around 3 hours runtime, whereas the with the nitecore you get 1 hour, or you settle for 280 lunens. Which makes the whole light kind of pointless.

Show me the the official product page for the X5R then if gearbest is incorrect.
OH WAIT
There is none!

PS- the R40 is advertised at 67700cd, I measured 68000.
If you look at reviews of the P30, of which there are lots, you will see everyone’s measurements are slightly above spec.

280lm is perfectly usable, my EDC does 240 on high and it is a good brightness that lets you easily see within 100m without blinding you.

Enderman, I’m glad you see what I’m saying- there aren’t any correct lumen/candela/meters specs for the EagleEye HI version. You can only estimate by what we know about output, emitters and reflectors, and in doing so it is simple to conclude that the throw of the EagleEye would be about the same as the nitecore as it has the same output capability, similar reflector, and same emitter. Those are the factors at play, and they aren’t different enough to produce any significant difference in throw.

Regarding the 280 lumens, no one said that’s not sufficient for most uses, I just think that it kind of makes having a 140mm 18650 light pointless, especially one that touts a specialty of powerful throw. At a 500 lumen mode you would be getting greater candela out of that emitter and it would better justify the size and cost of the light, and take better advantage of the capacity and power of an 18650. If all you are after is ~250 lumens (and thus greatly reduced throw) then why go for this Nitecore? You can get 250 lumens and mediocre throw in a much smaller format for lower cost.

Personally if I’m going to carry something the size of the Nitecore I want to be able to take advantage of the driver and power source and I want it to give me a more useful balance of power and runtime, and neither the high nor the medium of the Nitecore provide that imo. It’s kind of a “best of no worlds” situation with that mode spacing, and not utilizing the main selling point of the light.

That’s your opinion.
Maybe someone people prefer having 1000lm for an hour or 280 for 5 hours.
Why should you need anything in between if 280 is perfectly enough for regular work and 1000 is good for when you need 300m+?
A 500lm mode would be too bright for working up close and not bright enough for long distance, while giving you reduced battery life compared to 280lm.
As you can see, you will never win an argument with personal opinions. That’s why specifications exist.

You keep saying that only the battery and LED matter.
Clearly you don’t understand what a significant effect a good reflector, higher current, or other features can make in a flashlight.

I would recommend you take a look at 1” head 18650 XP-L HI flashlights from other brands (ones with a real website and official specs) and you will see that almost none of them get close to 320m like the MH/P12GT.

Of course it is. In the words of great man in response to the same statement- “That’s a very clever thing to say, would you prefer I uttered your opinion? What a fatuous remark” :wink:

Yes maybe they do, but I’m not one of them that’s all, and I think I laid out a logical case at to why.

Why not is the question. What is wrong with 500? Another mode at that level doesn’t cost more money or restrict you, it just widens the usefulness. This is evidenced by the fact that almost no other single 18650 light I’m aware of has a mode spacing of 280 then 1000, with nothing in between. I don’t think I’m alone, especially on this forum of all places, in taking a critical eye to mode spacing.

This seems a case of justifying what you already have rather than looking at something with a critical eye. The 280 is fine for you, great, you made the right choice. However, if one doesn’t have a light like this it would be wise to consider these factors. To me, there is little point to SuperDuper Magic Throw Light if the only reasonably efficient mode is 280 lumens at <100 meters throw. I have a pocket AA that does that. So for me, it it isn’t size and output efficient, and I don’t know why I’d buy it in order to use it at 280 & <100 meter throw.

Says who? 500 lumens is excellent for medium to longer distances in a light made for throw. I use one at just such an output all the time in my work. I never need the 1000 lumen turbo it has, the 500 is almost no different to my eye… one could almost say it is the perfect balance of output and runtime :innocent:

You are under the impression that you can’t have both/all options, why? The Nitecore gives you fewer options for various scenarios. It doesn’t have to be that way. Similar lights have these additional options. There’s no good reason why not.

And, if you are arguing for the absolute minimum brightness necessary and the longest battery life, again I ask- Why purchase this 140mm long 24mm diameter 18650 powered throw light to begin with?? Maybe it’s silly for me to assume, but I would think if one purchases a relatively expensive Hi Intensity Thrower light that they maybe have a need or want to get some higher brightness and throw out of it- and given that intended use, wouldn’t it be great to have a (very common) mode of 400-600 lumens to get a good balance of brightness and runtime?

To go along with your argument, why be as high as 280? Why not go for 200, as it is obviously very similar to the eye as you would no doubt say, and you will gain even more runtime? And then 180 can’t be much different than 200, rite? …… Wait…why did we buy this light again?

I specifically did not say that Enderman, multiple times. Please re-read. It is getting tiring having you not read what I’m saying and instead responding to what you want me to be saying.

Again, clearly you didn’t read what I wrote. The X5R is capable of the same currents. The reflector is virtually the same diameter and depth, and while not perfectly SMO it is very close, close enough to not impact throw to a significant degree. We are not talking about wildly different size/type reflectors, or wildly different outputs. These light are very close in all the main contributing factors.

There is no magic involved in this Nitecore.

For example, an output of 1.5a in the Nitecore will be the same 1.5a in the EagelEye, and with the same emitter and virtually the same dimension & type reflector you will get very similar throw and lumen ratings. If you can explain to me why you don’t think that’s true, or what other factor besides those will give the Nitecore “significantly greater throw” please do, you haven’t yet. The lens shined by elves isn’t making any meaningful difference.

Again, there is no special sauce. A light with the same output capability, same dimension & type reflector, same emitter, same power source, will not have a significantly different throw rating. Will other various smaller factors make a differece? Sure, but not a significant one as you’re implying.

Anyway, OP- the EagleEye X5R is going to be very similar in performance, and it is well made and well priced. I think it’s a great and worthy recommendation as a replacement to the Nitecore. :+1:

I do prefer to have 500 and 250 lumen instead of only 280 lumens.
I have Nitecore MH20W and like mode separation 1000 - 410 - 230 - 50 - 1. Thrunite TC12 also had good modes.