Nitecore TIP Review (OP Updated With The Guts)

Yeh, that storm may sit off the island for a while. Best
charge up those batteries!

Charging a bunch now. I got 20 gallons of gas for my generator. I should be ok.

Back on topic with the TIP.

I ordered one but still can’t fathom why Nitecore did not incorporate a cover for the charging port. Even my $6 TUBE has one. :open_mouth: Probably wouldn’t be able to easily charge my TUBE if it did not have one.

Also, the TUBE has come on in my pocket numerous times. So, the TIP will be its replacement. But I will fill up that naked charging hole with sumpin’.

is there a coupon for this on illumn? did i miss the group buy?

Thanks for rteview and nice pictures.

I Have an smartphone with uncovered micro-USB port and it withstands immersion in water (Motorola MotoG3).

Does the TIP linear-constant current in all modes, or the low modes are PWM.controlled?

The lack of cover for charging port makes me think twice :expressionless:

What he said. A bit to expensive for not beeing waterproof.

I cut a small piece of electrical tape and put it over the opening.

Good idea. I was thinking maybe a small piece of the expandable foam from a shooter’s earplug. Maybe? Or heck, just buy some micro usb plugs they’re cheap enough. However, IMO, Nitecore dropped the ball here and needs to step up and correct this issue.

You listening NiteCore?!

I think the plugs are going get rubbed and fall out. I was going to post a pic but I can’t, because of low post count I think. If you cut a finger off a nitrile glove, you can slip it over the light then trim around bezel with razor blade. I did post a pic at CPF.

I’m using Koam over there.

No, there isn’t a problem of low post count. The picture posting capability here is pretty good but can be weird at times. Above the comment box, there is a button to Insert Image. Click that, and a box opens up with some parameter fields. The first one is where you put the URL for the online location of the picture.

If you have any more trouble, or want more information, you can look here.

Thanks! Let’s try again…

Nice! That looks like it would work really well!

yes the TIP has NoPWM

and fwiw today is the last day for the Labor Day 25% off sale at Andrew&Amanda
Coupon Code: laborday2016
they have the Tip CRI in stock, black only.

There are also group buys at illumn (Tip Cri Black in stock) and bangood (not in stock yet). [/QUOTE]

This is what my grey TIP looks like after living on my keys for 14 month. It’s still going strong.

I have to say I like the scratched up look!

I got the NiteCore TIP CRI 2017 from Gearbest but it has the extreme parasitic drain issue (after a full charge of around 2 hours; then just letting it in standby OFF without any usage, the battery completely drains, as in zero, no light). Gearbest has since refunded me for this defective flashlight. But I was wondering if there’s some way of fixing it? What could be causing the extreme parasitic drain? (other than the extreme parasitic drain, it otherwise works after a full charge, including the changing of brightness modes, etc. other features)

I have 3 of them and the charge lasts for months with slight usage daily. Use is mainly bathroom trips, outside stuff at night etc. Sounds like a bad battery. I don’t think the 2017 models have much if any parasitic drain. I believe that was an issue with previous version in lockout mode only.
One my favorite lights.

I have a USB meter and tested the charge input of the NiteCore TIP after it got completely drained, it consistently charges around 670-680mAh each time…

it just drains completely after 1 whole day of no usage. So it’s likely a bad battery?

Did’t mean to mislead you, just rough hypothesis. If you like it, just get another one. For me, they are too cheap to mess with. But then, I have no technical skills to attempt it.