Nitecore UM2 cooked my old AA nimh as a li-on battery?

I disagree. Manufacturers can’t prevent people from being stupid.

How is the fact that I used older batteries that still worked in my devices stupid? :person_facepalming:

At 8 years old and with batteries of questionable origin, they’re most probably toast.

Just because you can fire up a light on the lower modes, doesn’t mean the batteries are healthy.

Put a 1A drain on them, which isn’t much these days and time how long the light stays on.

Chris

I disagree with the blanket statement that batteries 5/8 years old are toast and using them is stupid. I have many Eneloops and 18650’s that are at least 10 years old and they seem to be holding up well. I test all my Eneloops every 6 months and the old ones have basically the same capacity as when I got them as well. Granted I can only discharge at 1A on my Opus 3100 but in actual usage I don’t notice any difference. I don’t test the 18650’s often but when I do they don’t seem to be much worse for wear than before (other than a couple that are toast :smiley: ).

My batteries don’t have that many cycles on them because I rotate them during usage. My 10 year old Eneloops probably only have 20 cycles on them not counting testing. Many of my non-Eneloop NiMh did go bad though after a year or 2 :rage:

Maybe it’s more accurate to say that batteries used hard and often and aren’t high quality don’t last that often?

1 Thank

Batteries… both NiMH and li-ion will develop high I.R.s over time.

I have 16 Sony 18650s harvested from VAIO packs that are date coded 2002.

They still have 75% of their capacity, so with quality stuff, you’ll get longer life, but things still go bad and just wear out.

Only way to know is to test them under known loads and in an analyzing charger.

Chris

I have just bought 2 of the nitecore um2 from banggood for a ship price of $27.59. Some may be wondering why I bought 2, well I have many batteries and I have 10440 batteries which according to hkj this can charge them 0.1amps upwards.

The question is can use these power supplies? I am assuming the charge i will get for the first one is 1amp per battery and the second one I’m not to sure. Is the first one 2.1amps per USB port or 2.1amps shared?

https://www.wilko.com/en-uk/masterplug-13a-3-socket-fused-adaptor-with-2-usb-charging-points/p/0491445

https://www.wilko.com/en-uk/wilko-plug-through-usb-surge-adaptor/p/0455043

My Nitecore UM2 charger works fine with all kinds of rechargeable batteries.
HOWEVER…
The USB A/C power adapter matters. I’ve found some will cause lag or errors in the UM2 UI (display won’t change, buttons stop operating), or insufficient power to properly charge the cells. Maybe there’s a scenario where a deficient power adapter can thwart proper regulation in the charger, incurring an overcharge?