NOCTIGON DM1.12 THROW + FLOOD

There seems to be a typo on the specs on the SFT40 it says 13kcd then 130,000cd so I’m just assuming it’s same as W2 but 1800 lumens.
Also wondering if the white one is Micro-arc Oxidation?

I wouldn’t call Convoy “low end”. Maybe in the years of the shitty 3/5 driver, but certainly not now.

Convoy lights are, slightly oversimplifying, for non-flashoholic folks and for people who use (and abuse) their flashlights and don’t need Anduril UI, offering good quality, good led choice and a simple bud good UI (Biscotti) for a decent price.

Emisar flashlights are made for flashlights enthusiasts and have a fun but ridiculously over complicated UI.

And tbh I find the cost to performance to size ratio of the DM11 quite underwerwhelming.

With anduril 2.0 the ui is defaulting to super simple. A good thing.

Wonder how this light would fare with an sft40 middle, 12 w1 in the circle… might have to try that one…

Waiting for Hank to get 90.2’s back in stock. Will get 219’s at 4500K for flood and a 90.2 for throw. Should be a good multi-functional light.
Unsure of colour yet, either white or green.

12 219b at 1 amp each, that must give like 2400 lumen nichia light?

Half of the sbt90 :smiley:

Nichia 219b 4500K at 1A is around 300lm, so 12 of them will give around 3600lm

https://budgetlightforum.com/t/-/44574

Thats quite nice, for being such high cri!

C8+ > DM11 ez

I was thinking about the middle throw led and as to why get the W1/W2 led when you can have 1800L with the sft40 with almost the same throw.
As I’m not a maths guru and just use logic, my thinking is the W1/W2 should give the same throw but for longer because of making less heat.
To sell/inform buyers, specs always give the highest/best (running for 30 seconds) case scenario but never really mention efficiency, heat step down or battery sag.

Everyone is entitled to get what they want - this is just my 2c worth. I own small/mid and large hosts using the sbt90, it is a nice bright led, but in a host this small it will cook so fast and step down so fast it and will throw way less too than the other choices. Even in really big hosts (Acebeam K75) the sbt90 steps down in 2 minutes - so bigger isn’t always better, only in your mind or for bragging rights :0)

im just curious, couldn't the FET enabled driver be used for (12) 219b? Even a 30amp 21700 wouldn't hurt 219b if there's 12 of them. And 12 @ 2.5amps each is a nice output, kindve like the sacred (IMO) FireFlies e12r :)

and definitely Nichia / sbt90.2. I've been thinking a lot about it, and that combo sounds to good NOT to do.

Do you think it is a small host for SB90.2? The bezel is 63mm, which isn’t exactly small, but has some mass removed for better grip.

Definitely you need to DD (FET) the 12LEDs, going for 12A linear and 12LEDs seems like a choice but not a choice you should choose, if that makes sense.
How safe 30A for 12pcs 219B is (2.5A each), well as long as it does not go over that it should be ok and then quickly the cell will lose voltage.

If the SBT90.2 beam pattern of the center optic will be too similar as visual effect with the beam patter from the 12 smaller optics it will be redundant to have an SBT90.2 there.

Info from Hank’s thread:

That is the tricky part.
The driver has one channel with FET, not both.
So, if you choose the non-SBT90.2 LED in the center, the center LED will be constant current only, and the 12 LEDs will be
linear+FET.
If you choose the SBT90.2 LED in the middle, then the FET is for the SBT90.2 LED, and the 12 LEDs will be with
linear current of 12A without FET.
LH351D and 519A LEDs do not fit the small optic.

@ Hikelite
Yes I think it will run hot - as I said I have an Acebeam K75 with a SBT90 that according to here turbo drops after 2min, specs are:
K75 = 218mm (Length) x 126mm (Head dia.) x 53mm (Tube dia.) 843.8g without batteries.
Noctigon DM1.12 = Dimensions: 120mm(length) * 63mm(head) * 26.5mm(body) weight is not mentioned but would half or less than the K75.

The middle optic in the DM1.12 is the same as the one in the DM11, so from my experience with SBT90’s you might get similar lux in turbo as the other led’s but would drop after no more than 30-60 secs then will have half the throw after step down, and IMO will throw no further than the other 12 led’s which kind of defeats having a thrower for such a short time IMO but you are welcome to get what you want as it’s not my business.

If you do a quick search on medium to small SBT90 lights you will see how short a runtime with an SBT90 is on turbo. to me even using the SFT40 will be a hot rod as is.

All this discussion is great, learning some more as it goes along.

My initial thought of 90.2 and Nichia’s is now not as firm.

With a 90.2 the centre channel is DD and the Nichia’s run at 12A (1A each).

With an SFT40 the Nichia’s would be DD, does this allow more amperage to give more flood?

If the optic/head diameter is less than ideal for a 90.2 would it be wiser to get the SFT40 and get longer run time for the throw?

Does the optic/reflector on the DM12 better suit the 90.2 or the SFT40?

Leaning more to the SFT40…… thoughts?

I’d like to add that Convoy lights are super when it comes to modding for us flashoholics. No struggling with glue or custom size mcpcbs. And I love Emisar lights, but the aux LEDs make it less suitable for modding. You basically choose your emitters and that’s it. Both have their market without overlapping.

Looking forward to the 1st reviews of the DM1.12!

If AUX LEDs are redundant and unwanted, you can throw them away, I don’t see how that is cause for criticism of a brand.
How can one bring new features in the standard sizes and dimensions set by a competitor with less features, in this case Convoy, it does not work like that.

You can actually choose a lot of emitters some which aren’t in the list, if you want on a D4v2 you can choose each 4 of your emitters and so on.
And you can choose drivers if you ask nicely.
It’s not like Acebeam where you choose “CW” or “NW” of the same LED footprint.
Having and MCPCB that suits more LED footprints means more costs to stock more MCPCBs for whichever request there is.
Some LEDs also require different MCPCB for different LED configurations and some LEDs require different drivers which may appear to the buyer as “that’s it” but actually it is a lot of stocked parts then to wait and see who wants what.

Much more lumens, the beam pattern remains the same, doesn’t get wider or narrow based on amperage.
Throw will get improved with more lumens, but you won’t particularly notice it with those small optics.

Sure.

In therms of beam quality, I don’t think anyone knows as there aren’t any 90.2 with that exact optics as far as I know.

Perhaps I wasn’t entirely clear what I meant. It was not intended as criticism. What I mean is both have their strengths and weaknesses and it’s a matter of what your intended purpose is. I own both and they are not interchangeable imho. Or put differently, they complement eachother nicely.

edit:
Concerning mcpcb size, I was mostly thinking of other brands, not in relation to Emisar. I should have pointed that out better.

Thanks for the replies Hikelite. You confirmed what I was thinking. Add that there would be a premium for a 90.2 LED and it makes the decision even simpler to make.

Also thanks to Glenn7 for the info as well.

Now I can order the light!

Already have a Convoy L7 as a dedicated thrower.