Noctigon K1 info / review

Don’t “torch” your torch? Boom latta!

(Guess is nobody is gonna touch that)

Will a K1 outthrow a D1S, if so, I will have to spring for one.

NVM—almost a mile….

So that’s a yes. I think, right?
650kcd is pretty hot for this size range

The K1 definitely out throws the D1S, and almost everything else. There is certainly nothing in the size and price range that can touch it that I’m aware of.

I thought about modding mine, but it works so well I’m hesitant to mess with it…

uhhh, did you look at the posted #'s?

D1S w/XPL HI: 130 kcd (https://intl-outdoor.com/emisar-d1s-thrower.html)

K1 w/XPL HI: 290 kcd (https://intl-outdoor.com/led-flashlights/k1-21700-thrower-led-flashlight.html)

Both D1S and K1 w/XPL HI's rated at same lumens output of 1300 lumens.

It's all about reflector width at the wide end - the wider it is, the better the throw:

K1 head diam: 72 mm

D1s head diam: 50 mm

But of course the K1 has way better throw option LED's.

There's no comparison really, the K1 is a better thrower, but of course in a bigger package. A better head to head comparison is with the Astrolux FT03, but. then you are getting into pros/cons of LED choices.

Hello

If I remember correctly, I can use fot this flashlight this samsung cell:

Or do I have to use more powerfull cell, 40T…?

Thank you

Kind regards

The 50E is recommended, yes.

Thank you.
I have both, W1 version and 50E cell. :smiley:

Oh boy, rcv'd the K1 today, but it's not what I ordered. Ordered a green W1 and got a white W1. Box is marked simply "W1" for LED. Double checked my order, and it does say "W1 Green ".

Dang... I'll let Hank know but I'm not gonna press him on doing anything - any options I'm sure are costly for him and/or me, unless he just sends me a mounted Green in my next order... Hhhmmm...

If you’re okay with replacing the MCPCB, he’d probably be willing to just send you one. It could be a little tricky soldering so deep into a reflector cavity though.

Also, I’m not sure if the green one needs a different driver or not. It might have the current limit set to a different value, so that’s a potential concern to verify before attempting a mod.

Thanx. Just emailed him, see what he says. Been play'n with it. Even on a 35E at ~4.0V it did 4.9 amps, and on a 30T, 4.8 amps. Actually I don't have a decent W1 thrower so this is a first.

I shouldn't have a problem replacing the MCPCB - I got a couple sizes of the Hakko flat side tips, perfect for working down on MCPCB's.

Wonder why he's not selling those green LED's - maybe there's not many around.

I measured 655 kcd and a shade over 900 lumens, under 900 for calibrated #'s. It hardly drops in 30 seconds. Yea, I was wondering if the amps was tuned for the LED option... If it's a single resistor to change out, it's doable. But like you said, getting the driver out may be an issue. We just can't get away from glue, not just Hanks, but way too many as of late. 4.9 amps is probably ok for the W1 in production but I'd prefer about 5.5 amps, so might want to tweak it up if possible with a resistor change. Also, the LED is not centered - the hot spot has a shift in the immediate corona, I've seen it before. Even look'n down at the LED you can tell it's slightly off but betta doesn't make much of a difference, but Ill try to get it better and see.

I do hate glue, I do hate glue .....

Tom’s in get-r-done mode now…. CLEAR! :smiley:

TK, if Tom E can’t do it then it probably can’t be done… :wink:

Thanx . Hank replied already, saying he'll send me a mounted green LED. He says they share the same driver, so it's all good.

Wishful Ode to a K1

“Welp nights! Welp nights! /

Were I with thee, /

Wild nights should be /

Our Luxury!”

Are you willing to sell the white mounted LED?
What is the diameter of the K1 MCPCB again?

The MCPCB is huge - don't have a measurement on it yet but guess 28+ mm. I am sure I can find a home for it - I got dozens of throwers, mostly modded. Might be ideal for my BOSS1. The BOSS1, from what I recall, can take any size MCPCB. Think a W1 could do over 1000 kcd easy. I hit 700+ kcd on a dedomed XPL in it. Or in a GT with a battery carrier mod for 4P.

Fair enough.

Is reflowing a white flat doable on a 3535 footprint MCPCB ? I have a Magicshine MTL60 which uses a large MCPCB as well, it might be ideal for an Osram…

Haven't done one myself yet - the experienced guys need to chime in. But Hank certainly does: https://intl-outdoor.com/catalog/product/view/id/73/s/osram-cslnm1-tg/category/48/?___SID=U. Says it's an XP20 MCPCB with the W1 mounted.

Sadly the mcpcb is more like 30mm. Maybe Hank can sell the K1 Mcpcb as well?

Yikes! Magicshine like here?

"Military Grade", "Extreme Rugged", hype, more hype, than we'll add some hype... I think I'm gonna barf...

It could be a very good light, but that marketing crap... ugh.

If you are gonna swap LED's in a light like this, just check voltage and amps the driver provides to the LED first. Over 5 amps to a W1 can be risky. I'm not sure what the safe limit is - others do know.

Exactly that one.

I measured 3A max with a XPL hi, so should be fine