Noctigon K1 info / review

Yokiamy was originally replying to my request for lumens and CRI, I’m mostly interested in the CRI though.

Like always when CRI is not specified with flashlights simply means 65-70CRI, this is a standard practice with any manufacturer.

I went for the XHP 3000K, I can let you know once I get it here. Hopefully soon after the labor day holiday in China.

W1 (Osram CSLNM1.TG): 900lm, Lux: 650Kcd (650,000cd)

W2 (Osram CSLPM1.TG): 1400lm, Lux: 550Kcd (550,000cd)

XHP35 HI 6500K / 5000K: 2000lm, Lux: 290Kcd (290,000cd)

XHP35 HI 4000K / 3000K: 1800lm, Lux: 270Kcd (260,000cd)

SBT90.2 LED, 5700 K, 4500 lm, Lux: 420 Kcd (420 000 cd)

10 years ago I had a plastic searchlight with a large 15-16 cm reflector and 55W 3000K halogen bulb. Can the K1 XHP35 HI 3000K match the power of that searchlight?

If it was a 55W auto headlight bulb this exceeds it in sheer output and should have similar or better range.

thanks very tempting to buy 3000K versions because I liked the light of this old searchlight

It seemed to work well in my tests, but it seemed to trigger a LVP step-down a bit sooner than strictly necessary. If you find that to be an issue, you might want to lower the LVP voltage level, to force it to keep boosting for longer before it drops to half power. Or maybe even make it use a different LVP threshold depending on the current power level.

As far as I can tell, the driver can handle that… it’s just a matter of how hard you want to work the battery when it’s sagging.

There shouldn’t be any risk of overheating the boost chip, since it’s close enough to the MCU that it should activate thermal regulation if it gets hot. The MCU doesn’t care where the heat comes from.

I’m pretty excited because my K1 with the 90.2 is out for delivery today! I’ll let you know what I think. I know going in that this is a pocket rocket with an emitter way overpowered thermally for a light this size. But I can’t wait to see what the throw is like compared to the other K1 lights that I have.

Mine finally got movement - 12 days from LAX to NJ, get'n closer...

Did you keep your white one as it was? I know you had ordered a green one and it came as white, but I thought you were getting a green led sent to you. At the higher power levels the green gets more yellowish green than green. In pictures it shows as more green than to the eye. If you ever seen any of the Phillips Hue lights it would be like gen2 green and not like gen3. But the increase in throw is noticeable more than the w1. I actually use the green on more than the white for spotting deer at long distances on the property.

Yea, I did get the green LED - still sit'n on the table as a reminder :FACEPALM: . The white is still in the K1 but specially now that I have the 90.2 coming, I gotta swap in the green, then can re-use the white in another light, perhaps my old BOSS1. Too many mods to do, not enough time. I thought the green could take more amps though? Hank says they use the same driver, therefore must be the same max amps?? So maybe the green LED could even be pushed further, though it's tint shift may be worse?

Mine is here. First impression well I think I ordered it in brown, this says grey. I don’t care just ordered it to be different than the others. Loaded it up with a new Molicel P42A. It looks a lot like what I expect from a sbt90 reflector light. This is my first .2 version but I’m very used to the small sun from other sst, sbt lights that I have. In my basement it’s very bright, lots of intensity and lots of spill. Very different than the w1. I’m really surprised that it’s not the instant heat that I was really expecting. Nothing wrong with that but it tells me that this led could be pushed a lot harder, although for mostly more heat I guess. Will be nice to see what everybody else thinks. I can already tell it’s going to be a nice do everything light.

Did you compared with FTO3S? Image would probably helping A LOT…Thanks!

I ordered a ft03S but they cancelled the order.

Here is the sbt90.2, green w1, and white w1.

Not good aim, but all 3 will reach the furthest trees. The w1s will both do it with much more of a concentrated hotspot vs the sbt 90.2 that is much more diffuse.

Lambda Varapower 4D SBT70

Noctigon K1 SBT90.2

I received my K1 with 90.2 today. The 90.2 might look diffuse next to the W1, but next to anything else I own the 90.2 is great. I pointed it down the street tonight and some people a block away got lit up; they had some choice words about the effing light. :smiling_imp: Pointing it across the open field at distant trees that my previous best throwers (DEFT, TK70) just barely show a ghost of a shape, the K1 fully illuminated them with good detail.

Of the ones I have it’s by far the most useful. W1 have very minor bump when switching to Turbo but not the 90.2. It’s Turbo is massively brighter.

Has anyone had the chance to see if the battery tube will fit onto a D4S?

They seem to be the same size

The K1’s battery tube (21700) does not fit the D4S (26650). It is not wide enough.

Ah. Would it be possible to make a custom order production run of battery tubes and tailcaps, essentially K1 tubes but without the charger and different thread diameter at the head, for 21700 batteries that will fit the D4S/D4SV2?