Noctigon K1 info / review

That's not too bad then. Thought it was more like $25 maybe. Unfortunately those pits in mine wouldn't just polish out like light scratches would

Yeah I thought about that, too. Didn't know they get plated though. Would that be chrome? I thought they just polished the aluminium and that's it.

Having started to strip down one of my old K1 reflectors I can confirm that they have a gold coloured plating under the mirror plating, which is the norm for quality reflectors. Don’t have the time to look up what that intermediary plating is. Perhaps that is the level at which your pitting occurred.

When I mentioned polishing a reflector, I was referring to stripping back to base aluminium then polishing to optical grade. My guess is that flashlight makers don’t do this due to difficulty/ cost.

Production lights final mirror finish is a complex vacuum plating process that is not possible on any level other than industrial due to the expensive machinery. Oh, and as stated earlier, it’s completely unmaintainable, not with DSLR sensor cleaning wipes, cotton wool, distilled water and nitrile/ latex gloves etc. Water will rinse but impossible to dry the water without leaving marks.Canned air leaves marks due to the other compounds in the can. You’ll either be left with tiny scratches or marks from minerals. Like I said… the Achilles Heal of flashlight design. Consider that reflective coating to be more akin to gel than a sold coating. It is SOFT.

As soon as you unscrew that head bezel, there’s no going back. I can only guess that modders get used to less than perfect reflectors. Dunno how Vinh does it.

Ask Hank for a replacement - it’s a reasonable price and shipped clean. Then you need to figure out how to swap without dust. I recommended doing it outdoors on a dry day :slight_smile:

I use compressed air that doesn't have additives, least they say. It's difficult to keep it clean, but you can do fairly well with good practices (eave it upside down, cover the hole, etc.).

If you double click the switch while staring into the led, you won’t notice the blemishes anymore

The new blemishes will be on the eyeballs! Yikes! It would be like a childhood reader. “See Spot. See Spot stay.” :smiling_imp:

Aginthelaw - I like your solution to my OCD niggles re reflectors!

But if I bought a Zeiss or Swarovski optic, I wouldn’t expect dust to be par for the course in my purchase…

what’s the best 21700 to use. Just received mine today.

Samsung 40T or Molicell P42A for SBT90.2 and 50E for everything else

Thanks.

The new reflector arrived and it appears to be spotless through the plastic bag. Will install it next week at work since it's less dusty there than at my home.

Streamtronics - good to hear this news. IMHO Hank manages his business very professionally in comparison with some oversees sellers.

Please don’t expect perfection when swapping your reflector - an emitter like this will show up the tiniest of dust particles and only very controlled conditions can irridacate them entirely (ZL seems to have nailed this!).

Go out and enjoy the light!

Just curious how good clarity would be with the CSLNM1.F1 (Green) would be? I’ve only see 1 video but it was a C8 and not the K1. I want a K1 but I think I should go with th flat white. Guess I could get green and swap out the LED if I didn’t like it. Any opinions out there?

I have the K1 in the w1 white and green and the 90.2. Green is pretty cool. It throws more than the white. I’m good with my ds1 white. It’s a more yellow white than I was expecting more so at the highest levels. But that also makes it more useable than a really green beam.

Is now a good time to sell locally? Mine just sits on the shelf. Originally bought to get revenge on the security guard who liked to light my car up when I was parked on the street and playing pokemon:go

Well, why don’t you give us a review on how your flashlight performed?

Here

Aw heck, real flashlight enthusiast’s want to know stuff like, was it bright enough to make the security guard scream? How loud? Was he less audible as the flashlight got dimmer? Bright enough for warning shots, anger outbursts? Or just sulk away knowing your flashlight was superior in every way.

Unfortunately I was only able to retaliate with my s2r baton 2 cu. Not even my smooth s2+ or e01…

After I got the k1, he never was to be seen again. My car had big dick energy that day. He knew…he knew.

Just a friendly reminder: Don’t shine high-powered lights at eyeballs — no matter who those eyeballs belong to… especially if the purpose is to hurt people or piss them off.

I remember seeing your name on reddit. Where are you located and what emitter did you pick?