Non flashlight products you recommend.

There was a really good thread here on BLF in the past about epic budget? Christmas items . ?
It’s a great topic if only you throw out that vacuum part of it :slight_smile:
I’m a fan of the small spatulas at dollar tree . A decent stiffer small spoonula is a very handy tool if you can find a good one .

2 Thanks

I highly recommend the Pentax Papilio II Binoculars. They are on sale for about as low as I’ve seen. They have a close focus of about 2 feet!

I decided to buy the Nicebay hand vac using a Vipun deal for $40. It works quite good but has the small capacity factor and requires the charging stand. I haven’t used it enough to highly recommend. Of course the Vicsonic went on sale shortly after my purchase and it has the advantage of USB-C charging but claims to have less suck power. It can be had for ~$45 right now.

2 Thanks

I recommend buying older used business class hardware (laptops, desktops, phones). You can get them relatively cheap if you look around. They are built at higher standards with more features than consumer grade hardware and have pretty great performance for their age. I have a Dell Optiplex 7010 with a AMD 6400 RX that streams content from another pc for the living room and a Lenova P50 laptop with a dedicated m2000 graphic card.

I recommend Restor-A-Finish, it is hit and miss on some furniture but it when it works it’s like magic, you can save a considerable amount of time of refinishing furniture.

3 Thanks

I recommend knock off magic erasers. They’re not tuff and they won’t last long but they are easily the best cleaning tool I own…as far as surface wipes go. I have bought these through the Amz but I think you can get a better deal on the 'bay. ‘Must have’ as far as I’m concerned.
I also recommend giant tweezers. So useful and precise.

2 Thanks

The Vicsonic is still on sale, for about $50 USD after coupon applied. I’ve had mine for a few months and it’s still working very well. The Nicebay model has just 2kpa more, which I don’t expect will be noticeable, but it also seems like it has a smaller debris chamber. Still, for these prices, I don’t think you can go wrong. As for the charging stand, I can see it useful if you’re using the vacuum very often and needing to recharge every week. I charge up my vacuum like once a month, sometimes 2 months. USB-C is nicely flexible.

2 Thanks
1 Thank

Huh… I thought that said “bear detergent”.

We do like nice squeaky-clean bears, but I had no idea anyone would actually make a detergent for them, and was so thrilled.

What a letdown to find out that they actually don’t.

2 Thanks

From R.E.I.
I remember when they only sold climbing and packing gear.
I have/had a set of crampons from them - that I haven’t seen in decades…
When I give my REI # at the retail stores. The kids that work there look at me like I should have been dead years ago.

LB, a clean bear is a happy bear!
All the Best,
Jeff

I have three products that I use regularly with great results that I would like to recommend to everyone.

Although the first two products have their competition, I personally find each as being the best of their type in the way of performance and overall value.

The last product is so unique, it really doesn’t have any direct competition. And while it’s certainly not inexpensive, it’s effectiveness in preventing textiles in particular from slipping is remarkable.

First up is Safeway Rubberized Traction Tape. I’ve been using this product for a few years now, including to improve the grip on flashlights. I have used it in more ways, and on so many daily-use items than I could possibly remember. It’s durability under foot as an anti-slip device in my home gym has been exceptional.

In case you can’t imagine ever using up an entire 4"x12’ roll, keep in mind that I’ve already gone through one in black, plus 6"x10’ rolls in black and clear, and now a 12"x10’ roll of black.

While I find the grip & traction plenty for my purposes thus far, Safeway now has a more heavily textured version that I’ll be checking out soon.

Incidentally, it’s the bulk roll form of custom-cut gun grips such as Talon Grips, except a lot less expensive per square inch/foot.

Second is Strikehold CLP (Cleaner - Lubricant - Protectant). Most of you are already using some form of a CLP, and probably have your favorite as well. I particularly appreciate it’s use as a long-acting Protectant, which I’ve used to coat all the exposed machinery, equipment, tools & such in our garage and shed. I also keep a mini spray bottle of it at my workbench.

And third is VIVA Sock Stop Anti-Slip Liquid Paint. I found this product after scouring the internet for something to keep my variety of orthopedic sleeves & braces from slipping down off my knees as I work out. I didn’t have high hopes initially, but I’ll be damned if this stuff isn’t awesome.

I use painter’s tape to keep it from spreading as I apply it in successive layers to create “anti-slip silicone strips” on the upper & lower, front-inside edges of each brace. It’s also Latex-free and washable.

Other than my brief descriptions, I think that clicking on each of the links is the best way for you to see what each product has to offer.

If you have any questions as to the variety of ways I use each product, or for tips & tricks, and so on, please feel free to ask.

2 Thanks

best all-around glue for my money:

3 Thanks

I used to use Shoe Goo frequently, but now I use EC6000. It’s a bit tougher and more resilient against UV. Battle tested. I won’t go back to Shoe Goo. The EC6000 isn’t significantly more expensive either.

2 Thanks

E6000 is pretty good but it has the stink. Not as bad as 2-part epoxies in my experience, but rough on the WAF

I use a lot of cheap superglues these days. Just because it’s cheap and works “well enough”. Then again, I’m often fixing broken plastic on a child’s toy or something.

I thought they were effectively equal but the goo is good. The correct glue / sealant seems to be dependent upon the task at hand and I usually get it wrong the first(+) time. I find contact cement to be awesome but difficult to deal with. I’ve used silicone sealant with good results…but not always.

1 Thank

Interesting. Well yes, there are some fumes, but they didn’t seem particularly strong or overwhelming to me. My applications generally don’t last long, so maybe that helps.

My “battle test” scenario? Teva sandals with rubber fused soles. They had separated. I used Shoe Goo initially to keep them bonded. But they wouldn’t last more than a handful of salt water exposures. I switched to EC6000 and they lasted a whole season.

1 Thank

wish i had known about this long ago…

yes, it is just a little salt in some water, but it works for me.

1 Thank

You can use this like a caulk if you can run a bead that doesn’t need smoothing. You can use SOAPY WATER to help smooth after application if you must. Smells like acetone, so not bad. Fast cure time, very short working time. It is a better construction adhesive than, well, construction adhesive. I absolutely love this stuff so many times it has come in clutch for me.

1 Thank

I miss @Lexel. I hope he’s okay.

1 Thank

Dyson are so easy to completely strip down, fix and service I’m pretty sure a child could do it. The parts are cheap as chips (may not be genuine). I know you shouldn’t have to do it, but if you do try it’s easy and there are loads of videos showing exactly how.
I love finding these in skips and have fixed numerous ones and sold them on, it’s either the battery (if cordless) or hair wrapped around the brush bar causing it to shut off - literally it’s a 50/50 chance, but it’s 99% of the time one of those or a bit of both, on rare occasions it’s the red switch assembly broken through bad design (they updated it now and the new one fits fine and the Chinese copied it). I have V7 motorhead here waiting for a battery my neighbour skipped - basically brand new (even had all the yellow stickers on still) the battery had gone, ordered a new one from Aliexpress for £15 -2 scews, 2 minutes to fit. Sneeky buggers changed the way the accessories fit on at some point, so had to buy a 99p adapter too lol!
I’ve done so many I could literally start my own business lol!

2 Thanks

Personally, not worth the gamble for me. I have a healthy distrust of lithium batteries.

I get your point though and I’d probably just order the (expensive) original part, or at least a compatible battery from a UK retailer- at least there’s some chance for them to be held responsible.

My “bigger hoover” is a 15 year old inherited Miele I just replaced the filters on, still runs well and it appears there are plenty of spare parts still.

Have a Dyson stick vac (v7?) for those quick whip rounds, but understandably doesn’t clean as well as the corded.