Noob question about drivers!

Hey,

I’m looking at getting a convoy 2+ and swapping out the emitter for a red led (Looking at the XP-E 630nm) but noticed that it’s input voltage is 2.5v, do I need to get a driver to match the voltage if using 3.7v 18650s?

Ta

It will run very well with the 7135-based current-regulated drivers used in the Convoy S-series lights.
Just select a model that has the correct current. A 3*7135 driver will control the current at 1050 mA, regardless of cell or emitter forward voltage, as long as the cell voltage is at least ~0.2 V higher than the emitter voltage.
You can also easily modify a 6* or 8* driver by desoldering some of the 7135 chips.

DEL's right,

The nanjg 7135 chip based linear drivers used in Convoys are great with this emitter. More specifically don't use any more than three 7135 chips (1050ma) on the driver if the emitter is on an aluminum board or seven chips (2450ma) if the emitter is on copper. Adding more chips (amperage) beyond these limits will only increase heat without any corresponding increase in output (wasting battery power). Check out the graph in this link.

-Brian

So the chips(linear drivers) are constant current devices, I was getting mixed up with current limiting on standard hobby LED circuits.

Just to add to the good advice already given.

Yes, 350ma or 380ma for every 7135 chip depending on which of the two type’s is used.

On some of the larger light’s which have better cooling you can use significantly more 7135’s, another option is to use a different driver altogether.