Not a electrical engineer... help me out to find if this wall adaptor is safe please

So I am hoping this is the right place for this. I bought a charger off of fast tech and am wondering if it’s safe to use. Pics enclosed.

squigly, you can change the size of the image by adding {width:99%} inside the ! points right before the image URL in the image listing…it will then autosize the image to the viewing window

Don’t know enough about wall warts other than that if the mains traces are near the output traces, they can be unsafe

I assume you have looked at HKJ’s review of such devices:

HKJ liked this one (assuming it is the same as the one HKJ reviewed):
http://www.fasttech.com/products/1421/10002574/1191200

I didn’t see your particular device reviewed, but you might be able to make a fuzzy judgment based on similar units.

There is some comfort in getting a name brand power supply. The output rating shown of 5v, 500ma is what you can expect out of a computer usb port. I found a Samsung unit at a thrift store (5v, 0.7a).

I believe that the amps capacity of an adapter can be higher than your equipment calls for. The equipment will pull only the amps required. You will fry the adapter if you try to pull more amps than it is capable of.

Without going into a long discussion about regulatory approvals, there are actually several issues here. I am always nervous about products that the manufacturer is too embarassed to put their name on. If you don’t want anyone to know you made it, you must be ashamed of the product. If you don’t show any regulatory approvals on the product, I guarantee that there are none. (A significant portion of the regulatory approval seals on Chinese products are in fact fake, so the presence of a regulatory approval seal is not a guarantee of quality/safety on at least some Chinese made products)

The absence of a UL, ETL or CSA emblem on the product immediately raises potential safety concerns. While these organization often provide ‘overkill’ on the safety aspects, they also provide a valuable service by insuring that the products are made to the highest safety standards using standardized and traceable components. In some parts of the USA anything that plugs into the wall needs a safety approval of some kind (This product has none). In addition, almost any electronic device in use in the USA must meet at least the FCC ‘A’ standard, from the appeareance of the device, I can assure you that this device does not meet the ‘A’ standard, and as a result, it importation and use in the USA is illegal.

I can also tell you from looking at it, that it would never pass UL,ETL or CSA. It is unlikely to pass the HiPot test. In addition I can find nothing on the printed circuit board to even suggest compliance with the 94V0 or 94V1 UL circuit board standards. That suggests very poor quality/quality control in the actual PCB. 94V0 and 94V1 standards are not difficult to meet. I don’t think I have run into a PCB manufacturer in the US who makes a board that doesn’t meet 94V0 (and usually says so on the PCB).

For the record, I have been responsible for manufacturing UL listed, UL recognized, and ETL listed electronic products, so I have a pretty good idea what it takes to build products to those standards.

Is it safe to plug in, probably, but you have to ask yourself if probably is safe enough.

mattheww - great informational post. Thank you.