Not flashlight enthusiasts but....

Hey there,
I will be joining the community for a short while to research optics and leds for a project I am working on. Project build a better light bar, BABLB for short. I am fed up with these cheap 80$ eBay light bars (for cars), and do not want to shell out 600$ for a quality one (Rigid Engineering) when I can build one for half that. Like many of my project they turn out to be great and over budget lol. I have never messed with high power leds, but I have ordered samples (Cree XP-L) and sample optics to mess around with and I think I might get addicted to flashlight building also.
By the way my name is Nick, see you around.

s. anyone know where I can get a small (22mm or less) tight beam optic like 10deg or less?

Nick, welcome to BLF.
check out this thread: Custom High power LED light bar for additional information

Welcome future flashaholic

Hi, Nick,

Most of the “Flashaholic’s” on here started off “vaguely interested”, hard to believe, I know.

Welcome to “The Madness” and Hide your wallet!

Splott-Light :slight_smile:

Hi and welcome Nick. I’ll be following with interest on your build. :+1:

Why not use reflectors instead of TIR optics?

Welcome Nick! We aren’t so picky. A light bar is still a flashlight… sorta. :stuck_out_tongue:

5° TIR
https://www.amazon.com/10pcs-Clear-Reflector-Collimator-Degree/dp/B00YGBKA40

You still need the mounting shoes (black thingies in the last pic) to hold them above the star. If “standard” 20mm, they should fit.

Thanks for signing up, te37!

Beam angle specs are dependent on the led used so an XP-G2 or XPL HI will be tighter than the XPL in any optic you choose.

Still learning and digesting lot guys! Figured out binning, light color temps, lenses, tir vs reflector, how different leds affect beam patterns, plus the electrical side of things, drivers, heat management, etc. (something without a dome (XPL HI) might be best for what I am trying to achieve with a long throw)

Happy Holidays!

Welcome to BLF :slight_smile:

A lightbar is only a self-propelled flashlight so I’m sure you’ll find what you seek among the friendly knowledgeable folks here.

Phil

welcome to blf. are you a member of headlight junkies?