not mtm's competition entry and probably not in the right place either

no, this isn’t my comp entry as I have to pull my finger out and get started on that. However, this will help, hopefully :slight_smile:

my workshop/ garage is poorly lit with the sole lighting above the work area, which means that I’m often working in my own shadow. So, for some supplemental lighting, I figured I’d convert a flexible neck desk lamp with some bits’n’pieces I had laying around. Namely:

a desk lamp I bought from someone at work for $5

an old old 5V 700mA cell phone charger 

an orphaned WW XR-E of unknown bin

some AMC7135 350mA chips

a lump of aluminium

a decent selection of largely inappropriate tools

Largely inspired by Rufusbduck (and all the people that said direct driving LEDs with 5V powersupplies was bad news), I made a test circuit with 1 AMC7135 chip, a switch, a spare LED and the wall wart I’ll be using

amazingly, it worked!

next was the heatsink, some mysteriously machined and drilled 1x2in (ish) bar that I’d fished out of the machine shop’s recycling bin

lots of gurning and WD40 later, I had

and some drilling, tapping, filing and polishing later

completely and total overkill for a 2W LED, but hey ho, in for a penny in for a pound

test layout with the LED and optic (holder needed trimming to fit over the screws)

wired up with 2 7135 chips stacked on top of each other

here’s the recipient

now with bulb holder removed

and the head wired up

the base was a bit more of a PITA as I didn’t realise that the weight in the base was a plastic sack filled with concrete, so sawing/ cutting a space for the powersupply wasn’t going to work. So instead I used a pry bar and a dead blow mallet to cut a quarter out. The guts of the wall wart were then wired so that half the input was wired through the switch (i.e. the ps would be off with the light off) and the output was wired so that the colours matched :slight_smile: Liberal (oh, sorry, bad word in the US) amounts of electrician’s tape was used to make sure there wouldn’t be any accidental shorts (picture is pre-finished tape coat).

original base was stuck back on, followed by the alu cover of an old macbook pro battery, largely just because I could

amazingly, it works! It’s not super bright, which is just how I want it (although it is a little yellower than I’d prefer) as I don’t want to be dazzled by it. Spread is good and it even provides decent lighting on its own.

now onto my headlamp project!

Fantastic little light. Whats your plans for the next one? There is going to be one yes?
Edit, You and I both have the same bench top organisation going on.

Nice! Love the rehab of unloved stuff and it perfectly illuminates that one slightly empty spot where you can do some work.

3xNichia 219’s are the way to go: Nichia 219 Desk Lamp Retrofit

or maybe even 6 x ’219s: Waldmann Omnivue Lighted Magnifier Nichia 219 Retrofit

thanks! Oh yes, next light is a nichia 219 USB rechargeable headlamp for my competition entry, although going by the sheer unbridled awesomeness of the entries so far, I’m not counting my chances :slight_smile:

As for the bench top, I do periodically clean it off, it just appears that someone/thing comes back in the middle of the night and messes it up again!

thanks ruffles, I do have a thing for making useful things out of junk, especially as I’m very good at accumulating junk. You nailed it with the slightly empty spot - that’s exactly where I do all of my work :smiley:

yeah, that would be nice. I even considered using the 219 I had and buying another with an order I just made. But then my strong streak of tightfisted bastardness asserted itself and I went with what I had lying around. $5 is $5 after all!