Noticeable difference between triple XP-G2 and XP-L?

Let’s just say I’m redoing one of my small triple-emitter lights. I’m trying to decide between dedomed XP-L’s and dedomed XP-G2’s, both would be FET driven. Coming through a 20mm carclo optic, will I notice a difference in extra throw with the XP-G2’s, or will I only notice the lower total lumens? Has anyone compared the two?

I think you’ll notice the throw distance if you plan to use it a lot past 100 feet. If not the lumens is a heck of a wow factor from the triple XP-L’s, but runtime is significantly better with the XP-G2’s. When you take into account heat management issues (ie, time it can run at 100%) the triple XP-G2’s start to look even better.

The first thing you’ll notice is the horrifically ugly greenish tint the dedomed XPG2s will most likely have.

If you use triple XPL HI instead you’ll get comparable throw, vastly more lumens (if you use a FET driver), and much MUCH MUCH better tint.

S2 1D’s don’t have a bad tint dedomed, but I’ve found dedomed 3C’s through certain AR coated lenses can have the greenish tint. 1D or 2B should both look good dedomed or not if you’re looking for fairly neutral tints.

Tint is subjective, someone will probably argue against what I said about 1D and 2B being good even dedomed, and since it’s opinion based, their opinion will be as valid as mine.

They are in fact S2 1D’s

Thanks for both of your opinions

You wont notice any difference without them BOTH :bigsmile:

Single Led same reflector, I have notice xpg2 puts more light one target, than a xml2. That is with the lights side by side. One at a time really hard to tell what light I was shinning.

Why not have both XP-L and XP-G in your triple? :party:

Well I’m actually talking about my S8. It currently has two dedomed XP-L and one deep-red XP-E, but it’s due for an overhall. I’m keeping the red emitter, but I’m thinking of switching out the XP-L’s. The tint I got from them isn’t very nice, and I’d like to get a bit more throw from the set-up.

I suppose I could have one Red XP-E, one Dedomed XP-G2, and one Dedomed XP-L…… I wonder how it would behave with an XP-G2 and XP-L on the same FET?

How are you driving that?

S8 link Page Not Found

Link fixed.

It’ll get a TripleDown driver

I like the XPL triples but because of heat they are not ideal for anything but short use, after 30 seconds you might as well just go with the XP-G2’s.

Dedomed xpl's or xpl HI's are the only way to go. Throw is negligible in my opinion, and yes I've had triple xpg2 and xpl side by side. The xpg2's aren't good for much at all in my opinion, but I like massive amounts of light for the wow factor. Realistically it's just splitting hairs, the really thin hairs that grow in dark places. The carclo optic just doesn't do as good as a reflector. The question is, do you want light, or do you want LIGHT!?

That being said, HUGE difference from a domeless xpl to a domed xpl triple. Domed with optic mod puts a ton of light out right in front of you, domeless has a moderately defined beam profile.