November is national modding month... it's that time again

It probably already is November in Australia. I think they have leap months sometimes down there. Especially moose, which are known to leap even farther:

He cheats every year
……………………………………

Nice Mr admin . Thats why i gave up downhill racing …Some moose would tear up the course and every skiers times behind him suffers .

I am not a throw guy but I have always felt that if throw was the goal then this kind of thing is the answer.

It reminds me a little of Crocodile Dundee, “that not a thrower, now this is a Thrower”!

looks like it’s gonna take a lot of dc fix to make that green light floody

Thanks sb.

I really should re proof read my proof reading. Anyway the first mod for movember was to replace the reflector with a TIR, the led with a XPL-Hi, single mode driver and direct contact alloy pill.

and alongside its big brother.

I don’t start working at the new job until end of this month so all my mods are on hold for awhile. ( the new job pays a bit less so my Light spending will have to wait for some time. I may do a bit of modding on the Manker Godmes from the BLF contest once i receive it after i review it through some stock testing.

BLF AA-YE……Nichia 219C on high it pulls 1.5amps and seems crazy crazy bright i’ve always loved these lights … /// ///

/

/

/
TANK 007 –566.XPG-2 nw 4A this tint is my new favorite , i can’t get enough of it Still ringy but a small center spot of DC-fix makes it better Great tint great overall feel ,AA/14500,excellent mode spacing 1.5A high ,.23 medium and .03 low …sadly still has tank low frequency pwm/// / /

/

/

Supfire S5 Nichia 119…An odd mod but wanted to see the 119 in this host …horribly difficult to keep the emitter centered since it’s sitting on part of a cut up piece of an xre star…it always seems the toughest mods are the cheaper least worth doing in the first place …nice tint …beam is DC-fixed

Xeno F8-v5 mod gone wrong :stuck_out_tongue: … reflector kept shorting out emitter … 3 dead de-domed emitters…nanjing driver is shorted somewhere and now it’s a one mode 1.5a de-domed xpg-2 thrower …need to get the modes back

P-60 Drop-in NW xpg-2 For solarforce L2T maybe a little over driven……this was a lil harder than it should have been but it’s working well .

DQG brass 18650 emitter mod …. took out a dirty brown/yellowugly NW tint that it came with and put in … you guessed it a 4A nw… tint is much better and after playing with the focus ,it’s a million times better than the ringy ugly beam DQG put in it.
/
…. i also ground down the sharp edges that stick out on the clip off a xeno ES1. (like the blf A6 clip)…much much better… … should have done it day one :slight_smile:

My mods are almost never of a FINE quality. They are relatively creative and function… that’s about it. That being said, I received a ‘12W’ E27 Cob bulb a few days ago. Screwing it in, I was SORELY disappointed in the output. Colour was a beautiful warm white however, output was in the range of 200 lumens which compares to close to 1000 for my thorfire 12W bulb. Opening up the bulb, I saw the 6+1 cobs were wired in parallel and were 24V each. (The +1 looked like a 16V cob with a resistor to limit current). I complained to the supplier then proceeded to remove the electronics (it said 220V while the box said 120V which may be why it was so dull since here, 110V is used…).
Anyhow, I have a 6009X boost driver sitting down doing nothing for some months now since it wasn’t suitable for my intended purpose (ie, driving an MTG2). I hooked up the LEDs and connected an 18650 and it worked!! Max voltage was limited to about 21V so I connected it to a 2S pack and got better results!! At an output voltage of 23V and current of 300mA, (6.9W) input current is 1A at a voltage of about 8.2V (8.2W) with a resulting efficiency of approximately 84% :smiley: Additionally, I connected a voltage display thingy to the output of the driver so I can know what my max setting is… (actually, I’m not sure what the max current the LEDs can take but I figure 7W ie 300mA is good enough till I know more. That being said, one of the LEDs from the 16V , resistored cob have died and another LED is dim. sigh. All LEDs in the 24V cobs are fine. :slight_smile: )
Sorry. I only have one pic of the bulb with display. The battery packs ( 2S and 3S) are extremely ugly and are made up of laptop pulls with a lipo alarm attached. (Changing input voltage doesn’t change output voltage so either pack can work fine. :D)

( At 19V, the 24V cob LEDs just light up and make a better pic than an overexposed, fully lit bulb.) I am so happy with the results :slight_smile: The warm white light is BEAUTIFUL and spending money on a boost driver has finally been justified! :smiley:

A couple of basic mods the first to fit a xml2 and 3 a driver to the small light and the second to fit a xpl to the rattlesnake its only running 1.3a works well, but will work something out by next November for a bit more oomph

Have a couple more basic ones on the go waiting parts and perhaps a machinist

Im waiting on a p60 drop in, 2 xpg2 r5 emitters, and 2 red xpe emitters. I want to make a bike tail light and crank up some lumens in a few lights.

Tic Tic Tic ... the clock has started on your 2020 mods .

My first November here, I have a parts order from Hank coming in. Going to reflow an led onto a brandy new to market light that was designed with the wrong led. When I get my stufff I’ll report back.