NOW 70% OFF COUPON!! DIY TorchLite 2x26650 XM-L, SST-90, SST-50 etc Host!

Anyone else think about an SST-90 in here?

I know nothing about those

Hi gang,

I was going through my parts bin and found a spare complete pill assembly that I must have acquired from Ric at CNQ back when I purchased my OEM Big Head K8 1x18650/2x18650 CREE XM-L NW T6 900-Lumens Flashlight. So I removed the brass one that came with the Torchlite and replaced it with this one below. It doesn’t screw in, more like slides in but with good contact to the hand-hold, so I have no problem with seeing how it works. Granted, at 1.60a at the tailcap, it makes this Torchlite SV-D7 very underdriven, especially being a NW tint, but again that’s just fine for now.

Here are what the components look like:

XM-L T6-3C NW Emitter

LD-29 Driver rated at 3000mA HIGH & 3 mode, High-Med-Low

All placed into the body.

Peek at the business end.

The closest comparison I have that would be fair, considering all these components are inside the Torchlite temporarily, the Small Sun ZY-T16 2 x 26650 CW tint is a very good match. It should give an indication as to how the Torchlite reflector will work.

Small Sun Zy-T16 2 x 26650 CW Tint.

Torchlite SV-D7 w/LD-29 driver rated at 3000mA HIGH mode.

thanks for the pics. that’s a pretty tight beam!

mix that with the super floody mt-g2 and it might be exactly what i’m looking for

i’m wondering though - if you read 1.6A at the tail with 2x26650, then your feeding the driver nearly 12 watts - which with some driver efficiency losses, put the current to LED real close to the 3A spec they claim for LD-29.

or did you get a .8 reading and you doubled it for us, since there are two batteries?

now, as someone that likes to hot rod lights, I’d say 3A is a little under driven, but not too bad :slight_smile:

Hi Dthrckt…The tail reading of 1.60a is the actual measurement, I didn’t double it or anything. So I’d say it’s about at spec for the LD-29 driver. It should also be noted the Small Sun tail measurement was 1.10a. Both lights were using 2 x new Trustfire TF-26650 5000mAh cells.

Also, considering the Torchlite is rated for an SST-90 emitter, the light itself, with the components I’ve installed is very underdriven as you’ve mentioned. I believe the light itself is designed to handle the head produced by a 7.5a driver.

Oh, ok so the XM-L is being well driven in it then. Not that impressive, so go put a MTG2 in it! :evil:

Hi Scaru,

How much of a difference would the MTG2 make in a NW tint, and would I still be able to make use of the exisiting LD-29 driver? Thanks.

i suspect the beamshot would be more impressive it the distance were further

i’m wondering if the mt-g2 dome fits in that hole w/o modifying the reflector.

i opened the hole up in a trustfire D1 reflector with a round file and I didn’t like doing it - the plating wants to peel off the aluminum, so I had to insert the file from the emitter side w/o touching the edges then drag the file back out to remove material

that light runs at 4.3A on high (measured at the emitter) - although i had to lap the pcb to the pill to get an emitter to survive that current. the pill on this torchlite is definitely better.

Well considering your average XM-L might do 900 lumens while a MTG2 can do 2000, there would be a definite difference. As for the LD-29, no that wouldn't work. The problem is the MTG2 runs off 6 volts at 3 amps, so you would need something that could buck it down from 8.4 to 6 while supplying 3 amps. I know Match had found a suitable driver so I'll go try to find a link.

If you measure the ID of the opening on the reflector you could find out whether or not it fits. Going by the data sheet it needs a bit less than 9mm.

I'm not sure what driver Match used, but the one you would want is the one he used in the 4M. You could try PMing him. :)

Hey Dthrckt,

It would be easy to figure out. I haven’t measured the hole in the reflector yet, but remember, this light is designed to accept CREE XLamp MC-E, XML T6, SST-50 ,SSC P7, and optimized for SST-90. So unless the MT-G2 is a larger diameter than any of these, it wouldn’t be a problem.

Thanks Scaru. I’ll take a measurement right now so at least the members interested in this light will know one way or the other.

Thanks!

If anyone wants to see the datasheet itself it is here.

http://www.cree.com/~/media/Files/Cree/LED%20Components%20and%20Modules/XLamp/Data%20and%20Binning/XLampMTG2.pdf

The ID opening is exactly 10.55mm wide. So it seems it would have plently of room to do it. Thanks again.

Sweet! I may have to order one of these to play around with.

thanks for the info guys!

i checked his threads, and this is the driver he used

http://www.kaidomain.com/product/details.S006130

i suspect the emitter could be driven harder in this torchlite, but i don’t know enough about which drivers to pick a different one.

if the intl outdoor 3.5a driver would push a 6v emitter, that’d be the way to go, imo

but anyway - we’re talking $37 for light, $10 driver, and what, $18 for emitter +$13 shipping === 1800 lumen light for < $80

cutter’s shipping calculator isn’t working right for me (select US but can’t select state), so i’m not sure that’s right. but i did try adding up to 20 emitters and shipping stayed the same.

scaru: I’m curious about the driver too. The MT-G2 looks real interesting! Do you know if anyone ever did a 4 cell maglite mod with this LED?

I retested the tail readings using my 12 gauge leads and got 1.24a this time and not 1.60a. I’m going to use that as the actual reading, so this LD-29 driver is moderately driven. The upside to this is it’ll give great run times, but I’m still going to look for a much harder driver for this light.

that intl-outdoor one is pretty attractive - high current but not so high that it will drastically reduce life - temperature protection but just a signal (flashes, not shutdown) and no flashies

unfortunately at ~30% the cost of the host, it isn’t cheap, and since it uses a battery contact board it isn’t as easy to heatsink as a driver that is soldered directly to the pill

btw, the mt-g2 die is 12.86mm diagonally. i’ve ordered each kind of LED isolator that KD carries. hopefully one has a center hole of 13mm and is thick enough to keep the reflector from resting on the die.

i’m about ready to order everything for this but i really don’t want to pay $13 for shipping on the emitter.

Match used a breed of ld-29, not the intloutdoor one, it looks like the one I got from lck-led

This is the one I have that looks the same and from matches description seems to be the same.

It is a 19mm driver, and whilst there’s no sign of ld-29 in the description, there is on the invoice.

Keep this up guys, I’m trying to resist buying this host, but my resolve is weakening.

Depending on pill deapth, I see no reason why this driver will not do what you want, once soldered to the contact board and the pill stuffed with thermal putty type stuff.

http://www.intl-outdoor.com/thermal-conductive-pad-10x10mm-5pcs-p-411.html

Obviously you could also pot the crap out of it with thermal adhesive.

gords, from the first site you mentioned. lck-led.com - Informationen zum Thema lck led. 5A, L, M H driver!