Now THIS is big: Keygos? 7 x XML and 3 x 26650 IMR

Don't even try. You'll end up buying both of them. For sure.

you are right, but in the meantime it will be easier on me if I pretend otherwise lol

--

it won't melt in your hand but if it gets wet, it might melt your hand

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j7GJcKuVGm8

Well, we know that the TK70 and DRY work fine with triple XM-Ls. They are run at 3 and 4 amps respectively.

At those levels, you do hit some diminishing returns. So if you had more XM-Ls at 2 amps, you would get more lumens, with about the same amount of power.

7 XM-Ls at 2 amps each = 14 amps. The DRY with 3 XM-Ls at 4 amps = 12 amps.

As stated, there is no way they are running at 3 amps each, and 8500 lumens is just a stupid stupid joke that makes them look like idiots.

But it is certainly possible that this light could work pretty well and have 50% more output than the DRY simply by virtue of having more XM-Ls, driven at a higher efficiency amperage.

The dry does not have a 12 amp driver with the leds wired in parallel, 3 x xmls wired in series could not handle 12 amps, 4 amps is pushing it.

I quess this 7 xml will be driven at 7 to 8 amps and be wired in parallel....

The TR-3T6 3 x xml is driven at 5 amps wired in parallel

The TR-J12 5 x XML is driven at 7.5 amps wired in parallel

The Dry 3 x XML is driven at 4 amps wired in series

I seriously doubt that any manufacturer drives the XM-L over 3A as this is the max as stated by CREE.

4A on the DRY 3*XM-L even measured at the batteries would be over 3A.

Hopefully somone with a TR-J12 and a DRY will be able to post some comparison photos to see how it measures up, including build quality comments.

Looking forward to the review.

Hi everyone

I'm new to all of this so need some advice - I'm in my 50's but have an 11 yo son

Anyway, I bought him a torch from Kmart for his last school camp and he got bullied, had the torch taken off him, and was made to play 'piggie in the middle' trying to catch his Dad's gift. He (and I ) were a bit upset - it ruined his camp - so I got onto Ebay and thought this time round we would teach the damn rotters a lesson and buy him a better torch for the school camp coming up in a few weeks.

For what its worth its called a "8500Lm 7x CREE XM-L XML T6 LED Flashlight Torch KEYGOS 7T6 18650 26650" and I've had to buy in addition 3 x 26650 batteries but I have no idea what any of that means , other than it cost me over $100 so I reckon it will be good

The plan is, if he again gets bullied, to make sure there are no batteries in the torch at the 'piggie in the middle ' stage - then, for him to wake up his tormentor whilst asleep in the middle of the night with a scream, and shine the now charged torch into his eyes. Will this work, or is my son just going to get more bullied??

I should mention that my sons friend also got taunted by the bullies about how sick his mother was with cancer and "ha ha your mums going to die" - how beastly children can be

Sadly, his friends Mum died whilst he was at camp

Am I going too far? I would really appreciate any comments

Many thanks and kind regards

Huh?

Well if your son gets bullied again, by shining this light into the eyes of another person's totally dark adapted eyes in the school camp, i am sure the bully would be knocked off his feat. Bright lights point blank into the eyes would disrupt the balance.

Sorry, I should also mention that they shined the Kmart torch into my sons eyes, and he couldn't see anything for ages. Beastly rotters!

Thanks 2001

What would you do in my position?

Many thanks

Also as a footnote, I would hate any permanent harm to be caused to anyone. Can anyone advise???

I would say no-no on the "shining in the eyes".. I would say YES, on putting your son in a self-defense class(Karate) of some sort.

I would say yes to my method too. When I was young, I was very skinny, and couldn't fight my way out a paper bag. Still skinny, and can't fight my way out a wet-paper-bag. However, the bullying stopped. One swift swing with a cue stick up aside the bullyer's head, stop that one. A straight punch to the mouth of another bullyer stopped that one too. BTW, on the last one, I was in a corner and no place to go!

That's about it..Even if he gets his butt beat, he has to do something to the bullyers. Not the shining in the eyes bit though.

Luck to you, and your son,

we're probably not the best people to ask....

imo, getting a bigger, better flashlight to make him feel better is a great idea. bringing it to camp is a bad idea - it will make them jealous and the bullying will be worse. Shining it in there eyes is an even worse idea, as that gives them an excuse to assault him.

I don't have any kids - partially because I'm the kind of person that would struggle with the urge to go to the bullies house and cripple him. That's not likely to have a good outcome for anyone involved...

talk to the camp personnel, the bullies parents, and get some professional advice...

http://kidshealth.org/kid/grow/school_stuff/bullies.html

First of all: I'm sorry to hear that your son got bullied. However, I wouldn't solve that situation by trying to get revenge.. Would be better to contact school / parents of the bullies and discuss about the situation.

Back to topic: When I get my 7 x XM-L light, I won't give it to my kids (them being 16- and 18 y.o.). Anything this powerful, especially as a multi-cell light, is not a kid's toy!

Unless you are planning to mix in a dead cell and give the light to bullies, just waiting for it to explode when turned on. ;)

I orderd one this weekend, should be interesting to se how hard they drive them, size of reflector, beam form, over all quality.....

Will try to post some info when I have it in my hand.

Dthrckt - by saying "we're probably not the best people to ask", you are the BEST people to ask!

You would make a great Dad, and I don't think you would strugle at all!

I think you are far more likely to be a good example than "cripple" anyone (me too;)

Great link too thanks!

Tell him to do this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mEqniEvNcnk

Marc.

I was the fat kid in school, and bullied. Both primary and high school.

It didn't last too long, though. I'm a big pacifist, but I do react when pushed. I was usually second tallest in my class.

When I reacted a few times it became clear it's not worth to bully me.

In high school I was usually the smart one, the one who had his homework and knew most of the answers on exams and tests. The bullies learned quite quickly it's better for them to have me as a friend than an enemy. I never had to fight in high school.

Getting the 7xXM-L Keygos and having your kid take it anywhere amongst bullies is a bad idea. Having your kid learn karate or jiu-jitsu or some other martial arts is a good idea. Teach him to react and cause non-permanent harm to the bullies. Usually puts them off quite efficiently. And not to go overboard. Don't initiate, but react and disable.

That's just my humble opinion.

Back on topic.

I love the looks of that beast, but I think I'd never need to carry that for anything practical. It might be interesting for the wow factor, but in my opinion, too much money just to dazzle someone for whatever period of time.

Viktor

Yeah solowanderer, on second thoughts the getting the 7 x XM-L light is not a good idea. The light has a big fat hotspot which makes aiming easy. But still at below 30k cd intensity, you really need point blank distance of < 0.5m to really temporary blind anyone. Bad idea... LOL! :D

Anyway, just joking. Yes if he is going to be in constant bad company, learning self-defence is a good idea. MMA or Muay thai is good.