Old-Lumens Grizzly Lathe---New Chapter, The Saga Continues

So whatcha makin Dale?

Justin, understood, I’m good.

Just the little time that I’ve been here…… I’m sure OL is heart broken over the matter but am also sure that he took some time considering the best option. I can tell he is a very smart person. I’m also sure that when DB has the time he will learn and produce some incredible things. I’ve been reading back and watching this unfold in past posts before and since I’ve joined and I’ve said before and will say again I’m amazed at this site and is members. Kudos to the people who sponsored that lathe! And all the people that are otherwise so willing and helpful elsewhere on this site!

No explanations or reasons needed. This was done with good will and good wishes and no more. I’m glad it was kept in the family and went to another great member and only saddened a bit by reality. I am glad you were able to perceive the truth in this Justin rather than labor along conflicted. That took some guts. Best wishes as always.

You can leave the lathe ol but don't leave us :'(

Who gives a rat's @@@ about the lathe!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The whole premise was to help a friend...no forum..no flashlights..a friend. The biggest concern is that my friend is ok and that his health, marriage, and family stay ok.

Now..about that lathe. Dale it is not rocket science. Forget the trepidation. Look at it...look at it....look at it. Eventually you will see how to put that damned thing to use. You already know how to use but just don't realize it yet. You will see what I mean soon. The BIGGEST issue is the mess and the only way to keep up with that is clean after every single use. I cannot think of anybody I would rather see the torch get passed to. It has to do with fate and this IS the way things are suppose to be!!

Oh yeah, have fun and be careful Dale, things that spin can wind you up.

***the above is edited by myself and is meant in jest but....

I see it now. Trouble and Trouble Inc. LOL

So, Bugsy, wouldn’t that be TnT, Inc. ?

I know what you’re saying, and frankly I’m not worried about it. If I can make my 25 yr old Harbor Freight bench top drill press act like a lathe, I’m pretty sure I can make a lathe act like a lathe. :wink:

When I helped my buddy at his gun shop, he had a 22” x 80” MONSTER with a 12” three jaw and 14” 4 jaw chuck. And this thing was small compared to his mill… so it’s not like I haven’t been around em and seen em used, I’ll figure it out. Looking for a suitable piece of W to start on. :wink:

Oh man, we’ve been dealin with high 90’s index in the 100’s for the past month or so (and I’ve been working on a roof in it!). Now it’s getting down to 50 tonight!

Hope yall are doing alright.

Life sometimes pitches you a curveball and all you can do is give it your best swing- Justin did that. Every possible effort was made here, but you can’t hit home-runs every time; nobody can. What matters most is that everyone tried their best and together we did something great which Justin has decided should continue among us. I respect him and his decision, I could have done no better had I been in his shoes. I know Dale will do well now that it’s his time at bat. Let us now continue on with what we have, always giving it our best together, and always looking at the heart inside the person knowing that it is really the only thing that matters. We may not hit a home-run when our turn comes, but as long as we have given our best we will all remain winners at heart.

Phil

If the Brass switch retainers for the Ti light don’t works you could try threading some brass threads to match and cut off segments. Simple threading, not too may steps, not much waste if you screw it up.

Dale, I have seen your Superb work created on your improvised lathe, therefore I look forward with great anticipation to what you will create with a real lathe.

As I said it could not have gone to a better second home.

Sorry the lathe is out. Most important however is that Justin stays in. He’s the spirit on the bonnet of BLF.

Dale/DB Custom,

FWIW I think if it had to go, it going to you is a good thing. You’re really helpful and contribute a lot, just like OL. :slight_smile:

I still want to buy a converted Maglite from OL some day, though. :smiley:

Honestly, it’s sad, but still so much better than I had feared.

OL, take care of you and yours first. These things happen.
and Dale? Enjoy it. I’m sure it’s in good hands.

I’m sad OL had to let go of the lathe, but it could not have gone to a better person. Hope things settle down alright for all involved.

Good luck OL, I hope you will be allright and still find time to do flashlight mods the OL-way with hand tools.

Dale, do not feel too obliged using the lathe for forum benefit, if a hobby community gets too demanding the hobby gets less enjoyable. That said, I'm sure you can't resist turning some flashlight parts every now and then and show it to us :-) .

^

I really like this post!

Thanks djozz!

Am I upset that this has happened, of course I am, but not for myself (the money was donated without strings) but for Justin, whatever the reason is does not concern me, that is his business not mine.
All the best in your future endeavors Justen and please do not be a stranger over this.
Have a :beer: to cool down with.
And Dale you are now under pressure to perform

Cheers David