Olight M2R PRO Warrior - how its made (a trip to china)

I’ve always liked Olight lights myself. Tint is what it is, but the build quality is top notch and I know I’m not getting junk.
I think they’re at least as good as Acebeam - Olight doesn’t push things as hard, but they’re also not discount hostile.

Thanks for the video, Martin. That was really nice to see, I’m happy that they were willing to let you video the production line. I’m also happy knowing that if I buy one of their lights, there is at least some measure of worker safety there - the solder fume hood for example, where I’ve seen some places that won’t spend any money on that at all. :slight_smile:

i was allowed to video a lot - but not all was allowed to be public

.. and some things where just to be looked at to raise my knowledge ;)

That’s not true. I own a bunch of Olights and Acebeams. Olight is definitely higher quality than Acebeam but you are right they don’t push things as hard. Olight is like the Apple of Flashlights and Acebeam is like Samsung. While my Apple devices do have bugs here and there, they are the highest quality and most reliable. All of my Samsung flagships are littered with bugs and reliability certainly not as good as Apple though they have improved quite a bit starting from the Note 8 generation. But Samsung has more powerful hardware and more daring with trying new ideas.

Edit: I haven’t experienced any bugs with my Acebeams but just the overall feel while better than your typical flashlight is not on par with Olight and Acebeam’s lumen specs are not that accurate and you end up with a bigger lumen and throw lottery in some of their lights. My K75 only measured 4,100 lumens whereas others measure anywhere in 4K to 5K lumens despite they rate it at 6.3K lumens. Their throw ratings are overconservative though.

I don’t know if it somewhat changed but Olight was by far in the past the least interested (of the mainstream manufacturers) about tint (2nd worst would have been 4sevens), they consistently had the greenest most horendous tints , i suppose these LEDS were cheaper because everybody avoided them, i can’t imagine they did this if it didn’t provide economic interest.

How are their tints today ?

The M2R Pro is the only Olight I have since I generally stay away from the very cool CCTs. I figured it might be better since they used a NW emitter, but it has the most horrendously green tint I have ever seen. I do love the light though, despite the terrible tint.

Olight doesn’t buy tint binned emitters like Fireflies does. You end up with a tint lottery like Zebralights but to a lesser extent in most cases. The first H2R Nova NW I bought had one of the best tints I’ve ever seen. The 2nd one I bought turned out horrendously green so I returned it right away. Here are the measurements I took of this heavily used H2R with battery probably not full. The DUV approaches 219B sw45k levels and is slightly rosier than even the 5A/5D binned Cree emitters I’ve seen.
Turbo, 2215 lumens, 4231K, DUV –0.0060, CRI 74.8, R9 –2.8, R12 48.4, Rf 69, Rg 100
Top of Ramp, 526 lumens, 4081K, DUV –0.0030, CRI 75.3, R9 –3.9, R12 46.8, Rf 71, Rg 99

The Olight Seeker 2 Pro also has an excellent pure NW tint.

But really Olight doesn’t try or care about getting good tint. It’s really just a matter of luck. People need to start letting them know we want warmer tints and non green tint. I’ve sent them many emails before but I’m just one customer. Maybe posting on their Facebook page would help.

most olight users really dont care for tint or good bins etc… they just accept a cool white tint and their quality. I see nothing wrong but i do agree more neutral tints they could offer, like on the seeker 2 lights, would be nice have a neutral even a warm white option aswell… I have 1 neutral olight, its the s mini baton a great light.

I just tested my camo M2R Pro and I couldn’t replicate the problem either. I have had no issues since I got it.

I noticed the serial number on my unit is in a different format than most of the images I’ve seen. Typically they seem to be formatted as “J########” but mine is “SN.#####”. I purchased mine within minutes of the launch day sale beginning; perhaps the initial batch used a different serial number format?

i also have a SN.034##

I tested my two M2R Pro Warrior

Camouflage version with SN. 0837# died

Desert Tan version with SN. 255# no problem

This is the response email I got from Olight

My camo M2R Pro crapped out when I did the turbo to strobe function, as described by M4D M4X. The switch LED went yellow, while battery voltage was 4.1 volts, when it happened.

The switch LED would allow you to go into the Lockout mode, as indicated by the red blink of the power switch. It also would go back to green, when you held the switch to remove it from Lockout mode. It would also appear to turn on/off by displaying the green switch LED, while doing so. But the flashlight would not come back on, at all.

I sent it back to Olight yesterday, via the prepaid label.

Chris at Olight couldn’t even tell how long it would be before I got it back from China, for repair.

I’m starting to get a little dis-enchanted with Olight, the M2R Pro, and their Peron.

Note: If this happens to your M2R Pro, remove the battery.
Mine went from 4.1v, to 3.04v in 1.5 days of non-use, while it appeared to be turned off.
The only reason I noticed it, is because I tried to turn it on, before I sent it out, and the switch LED started blinking red continuously, upon turn on. Indicating a low battery situation. So I took a battery measurement before sending out. Surprised me, to say the least.

They just told me today the new camo and desert sand fixed model is ready to be sent out

Measurements taken with the Texas Ace Lumen Tube calibrated with Maukka lights and Sekonic C-800-U. Output measured at 2s from turn on.

Olight M2R Pro Warrior Camouflague Turbo 1,948 lumens 4908K 0.0099 DUV 66.6 CRI -46.0 R9 36.9 R12 66 Rf 94 Rg included battery
Olight M2R Pro Warrior Camouflague 2nd highest 735 lumens 4796K 0.0127 DUV 66.4 CRI -49.4 R9 35.3 R12 included battery
Olight M2R Pro Warrior Camouflague 3rd highest 237 lumens 4713K 0.0140 DUV 66.6 CRI included battery
Olight M2R Pro Warrior Desert Tan Turbo 1,957 lumens 5040K 0.0096 DUV 67.6 CRI -44.4 R9 42.2 R12 67 Rf 94 Rg included battery
Olight M2R Pro Warrior Desert Tan 2nd highest 748 lumens 4853K 0.0113 DUV 68.0 CRI -44.1 R9 39.7 R12 included battery
Olight M2R Pro Warrior Desert Tan 3rd highest 241 lumens 4786K 0.0126 DUV 68.1 CRI -44.8 R9 38.8 R12 included battery

Very interesting, nice to see how good the quality control is at the factory

Glad this popped up. I looooove my Warrior X Pro. It’s so sleek and clean. Sometimes I pick it up just to admire it.

Update:
I received my Camo M2R Pro back from a 6 month(Jan2 to July19) trip to China, for the firmware/warranty repair.
Unlike SKV89, Olight would not give me the option of replacement, even when asked. They insisted it needed to be sent to China for firmware repair.

While I didn’t ship the battery back with it, since it was just discharging it any way, they did return it with an Olight 21700 battery. It was inside the bubble wrap envelope, with the loose M2R Pro, so the battery cell wrapper was pretty nicked up from it banging against the side of the light. Which also received it’s own, slight nicks, and scratches.
I guess I should be happy getting a free battery, with such “speedy” warranty service?

Even though they make a quality product, I am losing my desire to purchase any future Olights. Especially since most of their recently released lights, ONLY function with their proprietary battery.
I was willing to over look that, since all of my previous Olights will function with a button top battery, just not charge it, internally, with the exception being the original M2R.

If I would have known the M2R Pro will ONLY function with an Olight proprietary battery, I would not have purchased it.

Is it the construction of the head that stops a normal 21700 being used?

I’ve just looked at a UK website that sells Olights and they sure do want a lot of money for a replacement battery…

I have noticed Olight is pushing this product hard. I suspect they are trying to get rid of their stock. New product coming?

yes

the M2R Pro, Warrior X and W X Turbo use the negative side only for detecting the tail switch
i explained in some of my videos

Thanks, I’ve just read the Reddit article on the subject… I personally think it’s a bad move and won’t consider anything that requires a proprietary ( expensive) battery