olight O'Pen 2 - the revolutionary lighting pen

lol that pen is sooo lame.
looks like that covid stay inside bs affected ppls common sense

instead of coming up with useless lamey products, they could do something useful and original
like a rugged baseball bat flashlight.
or a good keychain flashlight, because all existing keychain flashlights suck

absolutely nothing wrong with the Ultratac K18 stainless steel version (with rubber or metal capped switch) imho. 10180.

By just looking at it I can point out a fatal flaw that will render this useless as a pen:

The bolt action mechanism is located at the middle, which means unless you have baby hands or hold it at a very unnatural position, the tip will come out right at your palm and smear ink all over. It will also create a very uncomfortable hotspot while writing unless you position the “bolt” outwards every time.

I have medium sized hands and this is deploying the Refyne EP1 at the most natural position. If the pen was 0.5” shorter, the tip would come out where the pinky finger wraps.

This seems to please the niche of guys who have 3 different bugout emergency bags filled with tacticool stuff and impractical survival gear.

Olight is crap.

Olight makes the highest quality lights I’ve seen and I own over 300 flashlights. I just don’t understand all these bs people are spitting out about Olight. Name me another brand with better quality. I’m not saying this because I like Olights because their tint sucks and they don’t offer NW or HI CRI, which I’ve been trying to get them to do. But just speaking the truth. Quality wise, no other flashlight brand in existence beats Olight.

And Olight fans are usually 4X4 type of guys, as id30209 read somewhere.

He must have crossed paths with an Olight Fanboy, who called him a Surefire Fanboy, and tried to drive over his Vespa, with their 4x4.

Fenix, but still crappy tint like olight

I’m not a fan, Corolla wagon 4x4 owner here. :disguised_face:

I could see someone who finds themselves needing to write in the dark, wanting this pen light. But there are fewer and fewer of those sorts of people remaining in the world. Since everything is digital now.

I did recently buy the BALDR Mini, on their current Flash Sale.

I refuse to buy any more of their proprietary battery flashlights.

I bought the first M2R Pro in Camo, thinking it would be like the M2R, which can utilize ANY 18650 battery, if it has enough discharge current for turbo mode.

Not only can the M2R Pro not use a standard 21700 button top, like the Seeker series can, they MUST use the Olight 21700, to function at all.

I have NEVER paid full retail for an Olight. With the exception of the weapon lights, they are not really worth the full retail price.
All my Olights have met, or exceeded their expected performance, with the exception of the Perun, that they removed the hand wave feature, just prior to release.

But on all of the Olights I have purchased, the build quality has been exceptional.

I think Fenix quality was the best few years ago but Olight surpassed them. Try any of Olight’s latest lights released in the last two years and you can really see and feel the premium quality. Words cant even explain it.

Another thing is Fenix UI sucks and also the same CW tint so both brands are wasted potential at least for my preference.

people buy olight because they look tacticool. they don’t care for CRI, tint and proprietary battery :disguised_face:

Or they don’t want to spend another $300-$500, for a Surefire/Streamlight weapon light, when they can purchase an Olight, and get equal or better performance from it.

Because most of those who have a need for a weapon light, really aren’t too concerned about CRI, or tint.

And Olight weapon lights don’t use proprietary batteries, yet. And I’m not referring to the Olight weapon/flashlights, which do use proprietary batteries.

You would put your Olights up against Zebralights?

If we want to be really unfair, we can include some of the “custom” or “exotic” flashlight scene, just to counter “Quality wise, no other flashlight brand in existence beats Olight”. Scale back your claims, at least say “No brand in existence beats Olight quality at similar price point” or something… and then there’s still the Zebralight problem.

I always loved a good modified 4x4, I have a bunch of older Olights (S20’s, original O’pen and dozen I3’s) and I’m from Croatia. Yikes.

Not that I love Olight more than my other lights but I’ve never had a problem with any of them. S20’s are all dinged up from riding in my 4x4’s tool box and they work like a charm.

Saying a Olight is crap for making products that are not mod-friendly is like saying AVM is crap for not making moddable manual hubs or Quaife for their torsen’s. If you get what I’m saying.

I didn’t buy an Olight for years but this O’Pen looks cool and I I’ll probably buy one for my wife. She has the original O’Pen and likes it.

And UI on these lights is excellent. I always liked simple, user friendly lights with no gimmicky options and dozens of mods. Those multi-click lights are the worst when under stress or in less than ideal conditions like when its –15* with windchills and you’re working outside or when its so hot and humid everything is wet and slippery. Sure, they’re great for playing when siting in a comfy chair.

Agreed, nicely said. Some folk just always need something to complain about. I suspect most folks complain about Olight because, they don’t cater to us “enthusiast”. I have a few of their lights. I like them for what they are. The Smini’s are my favorite. I don’t know if anyone makes a nice small 16340 light like that. I’m sure someone might but, I love the UI and that TIR.

Love and hate for Olights.

Their marketing is good. Or was. That video is ridiculous. It evokes feelings of surrogate shame.

I care for modding-default tint as much as the typical customer: Not. My S1R/S1RII got nice NW and WW LEDs respectively. Let’s face it: Beam, UI, look’n’feel is top notch. Both are exactly how small EDC lights should be (imo).

Used to own an old Warrior. That’s how a tactical light must work. Got some parts from its successor and of course a different LED. Works as this light is service friendly. Gifted to someone only because I don’t need a tactical light while she did.

Still have the R50. A shame the special 26650 wasn’t available for a long time, but to my surprise, it is back! This light is extremly hard to beat with its ultra-wide spill. It well deserves its Seeker name. But go away with the Pro, the LE or even the Seeker II. Less throw in every iteration of this light!

All those lights have problems, too. The regulation of the S1R is a nightmare, the Warrior has problems with the tailcap electronics, the R50 charging electronics is even dangerous as it (as was reported) doesn’t stop charging and its tint is lime-green. But all this is of little interest to those actually using their lights daily in the environments they were built for.

Just one thing: Pricing is off. No way I’d buy a new flashlight from Olight at normal or even the usual reduced prices. It took a combination of coupons to made me buying the S1RII (about EUR 22 IIRC). I’m waiting for really (I mean really really) good offers on BLF. Only this pen … Olight, please keep it. Just for the marketing. Otherwise, and if inexpensive, I’d take it when nobody watches.

Ah, forgot to bring Coke for the audience. Hope you can still enjoy all contributions.

I buy Zebralights for the small size and NW/CRI options and like the unibody design. Zebralight also have the same Olight problem of poor/green tint and I returned a few Zebralights because they were horribly green. In terms of build quality, Zebralight is good but Olight is perfection. Holding a brand new olight out of the box is like the first time I owned a brand new Iphone. That feeling of holding an ultra premium grade luxury item, a perfect piece of art that you marvel at for the first few hours.

While Zebralight has its own unique, customizable UI, I love Olight UI’s simplicity (despite some new models lack moonlight). Olight also makes the most efficient drivers, even more so than Fenix and their output and throw ratings are spot on or conservative. Zebralight and Acebeam lumen specs are usually 15-20% higher than what I actually measure.

Of course it’s not an apple to apple comparison because the CCT and CRI are not the same but it’s obvious even if they are the same, the Olight will still be much more efficient. The difference in emitter efficiency is probably 20%

The recent Olight Perun is rated to run 500 lumens for 240mins (4hrs) on an 18650!!! That kind of efficiency is unheard of. Though I will never buy the Perun because of the horrible tint, which I will never use.

Olight is running a sale right now. Here is just one bundle
https://www.olightstore.com/s1r-baton-ii-orange-bundle.html

I kind of like the looks of it and the potential utility.

I haven’t used any bolt action lights or pens, so the comment about the bolt action for this pen being too low on the body does cause a bit of concern, since I would be buying it to keep in my shirt pocket and use as my main writing tool.