Olight S Mini

I just opened my s-mini (thanks x3?!). I tested the optic with a 219B. Meh. I have ever a couple xml2 5D1 coming. Beautiful tint. I’ll use that.

I wonder how it looks with an XPL HI

You’re welcome :slight_smile:
Once again, someone tried a 219 under Olight TIR and found it ugly… glad not to be the only one

Really like the bead blasted version, went back to my local flashlight dealer and get another one, now I have an identical twin:

Firelight2 wrote

Thanks, I’ll try my copper S1 tailcap. Hope that fits.

Another member already did that. LINK

Yup, S1 and S-mini tailcaps are totally swappable.

Sweet. Gonna have a little Raw Copper/Ti combo then.

Any word on the upcoming Al version, guys? I’ve had a talk with Marshall of Going Gear, and he said maybe Olight is waiting for SHOT Show to unveil it.

(BTW, the photo of the S2’s “soil-blasted” bezel is still coming, but I’m gonna post it in a new thread about wear and tear in special circumstances)

Just did a quick run time test on high with my new Eagletac 16340 but why did the LVP on my cell kicked in? Don’t this S Mini have any LVP?

Reactivated my 16340 and got a reading of 3.06V!?

That’s my biggest complaint about the S10/S1/S-Mini series. Because it supports CR123A cells, there is no LVP. :frowning:

CR123A has a usable range of like 3.6V down to 1.0V, and apparently they sag a lot during use, and the driver doesn’t try to guess which type of cell it’s using. So it’ll happily drain an unprotected 16340 cell until it’s damaged.

At the very least, it could have a voltage readout mode… even if it doesn’t know when to stop for LVP purposes. Then I could know when to recharge the cell, without having to take it out all the time to check with a DMM.

I received an S-Mini SuS Thunder Grey for review… this thing is breathtakingly beautiful.

It’s a shame it warmed up before it rains tomorrow. A snowy backdrop would have made for some killer pics.

I can only thank providence that the S2 doesn’t have that problem.

Wouldn’t had bought this had I known this before hand :weary:

Is 3.06V the normal cut-off voltage?

No, the cell’s protection circuit will generally kick in at around 2.7V.

I prefer to recharge once it gets somewhere between 3.0V and 3.4V, since li-ion cells are almost completely empty at that point anyway, and they stay healthy longer when the charge is kept near the middle. Keeping them at >99% or <1% reduces the lifespan-in-years faster.

It’s worth noting that, after load is removed, a drained cell will often recover somewhat to a higher voltage. It’s not weird that a cell would shut itself off at 2.7V then recover to 3.06V after a little while. I try not to drain my cells far enough for this rebound effect to happen though.

I usually do not drain my Li-Ion past 3.7V just this one because I didn’t know this little gem isn’t really that good (no LVP) :frowning:

I measured the charge within a couple of minutes after the light shut down.

Thanks for the heads up TK.

Received a pleasant surprise today from Olight…

with my name engraved on it…

I think I’ll keep the light pristine in the seal.

what’s more, the hand-written greetings is simply heart warming…

Awesome, very cool. I’m jealous. They did the titanium S1’s last year and my personalized gift is also sitting unused because I don’t want to scratch it up. I didn’t review for them this year so I missed out. A personalized copper light would be awesome with some patina on it though.

Wow so Olight USA makes some Christmas gifts to their reviewers ?
I’m a bit jealous there :cry:

That’s a nice move on Olights part, nice card, nice gift. Well done all around I’d say…