Olight S1 Mini Baton (Post #1 now updated with a Review)

THIS!!! :+1:
A small light like this one with a 18350 would be very nice :sunglasses:

I understand the optic on the Copper Smini is not compatible with a Nichia LED swap.

enter the High CRI Smini:

does that mean the optic changed, and would be compatible with a Nichia swap?
and, does that mean the optic from the High CRI Smini could be swapped with the optic on the Copper Smini?

if so
Could one Copper Smini and one High CRI Smini, produce a Nichia compatible Copper Smini?

my wallet hopes not

I agree! but would have to fit protected cells, which I fear are too long

I say that because
I have a light that is compatible with protected 16340, but only fits Unprotected 18350, the protected version is too longā€¦

Maybe if Olight eliminates CR123 compatibility, they could built Low Voltage protection into the light itself, then an unprotected 18350 would fit, the way the protected 16340 does now.

well as i said, using 16340 the runtimes arent exactly super good even on the old s1 baton, if using the cr123 non rechargables u get decent runtimes but who uses thoseā€¦ meh not me atleast. 18350 wouldnt make the host that much bigger reallyā€¦

Just received 2 review units from Olight, gonna update post #1 with my review after some testing... couldn't resist the good promotion that's happening at my distributor place so I grab a S Mini Ti Polished too...

and they gave me this nice and improved Olight LED Penlight...

I unwrapped the cell that came with mine. It turns out theyā€™re using 16*300* cells, not 16340s. Weird, right?

Received my S1 Mini Baton yesterday, the CW version. I charged the included RCR123A 3.7V battery and checked out all the modes and it works fine with that battery. When in High mode a double click sends it to Turbo with a noticeable difference between High and Turbo. But when I use the light with a primary Duracell CR123A 3.0V and have the light in High mode, when I double click to go to Turbo there is no noticeable difference in output. I looked closely enough to be convinced the light is simply staying in High and not going into Turbo at all. I tried this with fresh unused Duracell CR123A sized batteries and a Panasonic CR123A battery, all less than a year old and unused, and all had the same result. They all read around 3.01V when measured on my multimeter. Since this light is regulated, I assumed the Turbo mode should work the same with either the 3.7V RCR123A included battery or the primary CR123A 3.0V battery. This is certainly not what I expected, and certainly not what is advertised by Olight. I am wondering if my light is an isolated incident, or if others are also noticing this problem. For those who also received their light, please check the light with a primary CR123A battery and report if you can notice a difference between High mode and then double clicking to Turbo. Please also report if you notice a definite difference between High mode and then double clicking to Turbo when using the included RCR123A battery. Thanksā€¦

your light is working normally
turbo only available with LiIon

use code blacknovember at illumn.com

@Flash-O-Maniac, actually the user manual did say that "Turbo and low power warning cannot be activated when this flashlight is powered by a CR123A."

Iā€™m not sure what you mean by ā€œregulatedā€. It doesnā€™t have a boost driver, if thatā€™s what you meant.

My apologies everybody, yes I now see in the owners manual where it says Turbo will not work while using primary CR123A battery. Thank you for kindly pointing that out for me. Donā€™t know how I missed that. I also apologize to Olight for casting doubt on a fine product.

You donā€™t need to apologize. The S1 Mini isnā€™t without its flaws.

Post #1 now updated with my review of the model. Sharing a collage of still photos of the same scene lighted by S1 Mini and many other lights...

You can access the full album here: https://imgur.com/a/gaXKQ