Olight S1 parasitic drain. Has anyone measured?

So I bought the S1 a while back, and haven’t used it much. I’ve had to recharge 2 different batteries, 1 old and 1 new. I have maybe used the light for a minute total on either battery, and I’ve found it dead twice. With the battery reading 2.7 volts. Anyone else experience this? I have several lights with e-switches and this is the first time I have ever found a dead light. I’m just going to guess-timate it takes about a week in a half to two weeks to do?

Anyone else up for seeing how long it takes their olight to die without use? I’m using olight batteries by the way. I’ll charge it tonight and see where it is in a week.

I usually top mine off every 2 weeks or so

i always open the tailcap 1/4 to lockout
(because i do not want to accidentially switch on any light…)

So mine doesn’t sound normal then. Cool!

Same thing happens to both of my nitecore e-swtch lights: EA40 and HC50.

I put a new battery in, use it for 20 minutes and find the battery depleted in a month. Because my batteries are not protected, I got ~1V cells several times. I thought the cell was dead but according to the opus 2.2 they still retain good capacity, but I’m not very sure about them anymore. I’m concerned about the EC4S I just ordered, it might suffer the same problem.

Would like to hear if anyone can measure the standby draw of the S1.

I don’t have equip sensitive enough to test this directly, but I’ve had my Olight S1 for about six weeks on the same battery without recharging. I’ve used mine for more than a few minutes and I’ve never locked it out. I just tested the voltage on the 16340 and it shows 4.0V, so I think your batteries have a problem, your light was accidentally turned on, or maybe there is something wrong with your light.

Nothing wrong with my batteries. One was brand new and the other one a year or so old. The light was not accidentally turned on, I’m going with problem with the light. I just charged it tonight, and will see where the voltage is a week from now. It is possible that I am crazy.

BLF comments on EC4S parasitic drain: post #268 to #278.

FlashLion Review, excerpt from this article:

“There is a low voltage warning-the light starts blinking as a Strobe,when the battery voltage is too low. As you can see from the graph,I waited at least 60 minutes for a low voltage protection,but there was no such. Battery voltage after the test 2,6V. Really low voltage. What I am observing is that the battery protection also does not trip, if the discharge current is very low.

—According to Nitecore the reviewed by me EC4S is a pre-release version and the parameters of the final version could differ significantly.”

Mine can go without charging for 2-3 weeks and when I need the light, no problem at all.
Should be your light

Edited: I got 6.2μA for S1 and 2.7μA for S15R.

Yep, my S15R has been solid.

and realised that for µA a different socket on the DMM is needed … :wink:

S10 -> 6,1 µA
S10R -> 6,9 µA

+1. I always do that since flashlight accidentally turned on in my backpack. In fact this is must for flashlight safety and should be written in golden rules for flashlight use (similar as point gun into right direction in gun rules).

If you are sloppy like me and just drop flashlight into backpack with all other stuff; there is 80% of chance that it will turn itself on during hiking, and simple lockout of tailcap will prevent this...

For the S10R and a 3000 mAh battery, that amounts to a yearly loss of 2%. Even less of a loss for the S10.

That’s less than the loss rate for simply storing the cells.

EDIT: CORRECTION

Forgot the form factor. With 650 mAh stock Olight battery, the S10R’s yearly parasitic drain comes out to a little over 9%.
Still quite low. :slight_smile:

You have got one heckuva l o n g wait! :evil:

Not on my S1!

i tested my s15r, and got 1.6 uA with my DMM