Olight S1 review (500 lm, XM-L2 CW, CR123A, TIR optics)

I think it should open up just like the older models, so most likely yes.

I ordered one yesterday using M4D M4X coupon, with a couple of Keeppower 16340 cells from Banggood.
Today I received email notifications that all my orders have been shipped.
Thumbs up Banggood!

Imagine if I were to order from GB :zipper_mouth_face:

mine shipped as well… and in less than 24 hours :slight_smile:

what battery did you use?

Xtar RCR123

Is the bezel press fit our can it be unscrewed?

thank you

i was not successful unscrewing it using heat and rubber and brute force… :frowning:

looking close into the lens shows some “tears“ that are either cracks or glue .
can someone confirm?

That sucks.

Vinh has started selling modded ones so all hope may not be lost. If I can open it, I’ll likely try a Nichia 219 in it.

Don’t ever get Everett’s MELD firmware for a flashlight. It will ruin you forever. You will just keep clicking your button thinking the light has more modes!

i been watching Vinh working with this new S1 for an S1vn version. really like the small size, side switch, beam output & tint.

any info how he got inside?

i stopped at 100°C because i was afraid melting the TIR

i used a heatgun and pressed it onto rubber to unscrew.
well - tried….

I don’t know as Vinh is keeping his work techniques on the S1 very secret for now until he perfects a modded version i’m guessing :slight_smile:

I got mine. I will mention that the switch is inferior to the S10, S15, and S20. The switch is soft and rubber, which is not like the previous batons. The tint is cool/blue, but it’s not green. It is not close to neutral.

Vinh originally told me the bezel was threaded. He has been sick and just let me know it is indeed press fit. Now how to get it off…

Received mine today as well. Even though I knew it’s small, was still surprised when I held it in my hand. My new EDC for sure :slight_smile:

@Bugsy: It might be a little harder to press than the original baton series, but this one won’t accidently activate in the pocket like those. I stopped using the S15 as 1xAA because it kept on accidently getting activated.

only way I could afford this light it replaced my NITECORE EA1 I lost and love it.

I like how MELD has so many modes, and some neat color modes. I don’t like the extra-slow PWM on its normal white modes though, or how I never quite know what it’s going to do when I turn it on. I find I don’t use mine much because I can’t stop noticing the way it turns life into a series of still frames, and every motion is jagged.

So far, the unmodded Olight S1 Ti I got seems more useful since it has a nice set of flicker-free white modes, it’s smaller, and it has a surprisingly handy traffic cone accessory which turns it into a candle. If I had known about the copper S1 though, I would have gotten that instead. The bare copper one looks incredible. I think the bare copper + bare steel model is a goinggear exclusive though.

I did some measurements today. This was on the titanium model.

The official specs are:

• 0.5 lm / 600h
  • 7 lm / 40h
  • 75 lm / 6h
  • 480 lm / 1.5h

What I measured was:

• 0.08 lm
  • 9.0 lm
  • 89 lm
  • 570 lm

So, aside from moon being way under spec, the modes seem reasonably close (about 20% brighter than spec).

The emitter is a “Cree XM-L2 NW”. It looks like the color temperature is probably around 4700K, but the beam has a distinct rainbow effect which makes the hotspot look yellow (and a bit greenish) while the spill looks whiter. I’m guessing it’s probably a 3C tint with the Cree rainbow exaggerated a bit by the optic.

Would be better with an XP-L HI or a Nichia 219, but I’m not planning to mod it because it’s not constructed in a way which makes that easy to do.

Also, the bead-blasted finish is already showing signs of wear in several places, including from its plastic traffic cone attachment. Polished titanium would be better, or bare copper, or well-anodized aluminum. The finish looks similar to my ZL SC52, only light grey instead of military brown. However, the SC52 still looks nearly flawless after ~3 years while the S1 Ti shows wear after only a few days.

I have a S10 Ti (polished) too, which has been carried a lot for over a year. Every millimeter of its surface has tiny scratches, but it still looks pretty nice. I wonder how this bead-blasted surface will look after a year.