On Hold: Venting Li-Ion in a Light

No problem mate, thanks for watching out for others! The iCharger is very versatile and can buck or boost voltage depending on the input and output load.

While the SLA was charging, I wired up the Warsun and everything’s ready. I’ll just need to fill up some plastic water bottles for protection.

subscribed…

be careful kid!

i did so much stupid things when i was young…. be careful!

Yup, thanks for the warning. There’s an entire elevator block on the roof, and I’ll be hiding behind that. I’ll give you guys a tour around the rooftop too while I’m at it, haha.

The Sony NEX-5 seems to have a very high self discharge rate. It sucks the battery even while it’s turned off, so I’ll have to charge it back up. Should be ready in an hour or two.

If someone else was doing this I might be concerned for their safety.

My guess is nothing will happen

It should just be a matter of pumping in enough energy to heat the cell all the way up to thermal runaway (faster than the host can shed the heat). Hopefully that SLA battery + icharger will be able to do it.

I did some preliminary tests and it seems like there’s a lot of resistance between the cell and the charger. There’s a lot to go through between the springs (not copper braided), PCB, and the mains wire, and there’ll be a large voltage drop if I try pushing a large current through.

It’s a little dark here, so I’ll try to do the experiment in the morning. :slight_smile:

What material is the roof? do you have something fireproof under the light?

Do you have some way to shut off the charger from a distance in case nothing happens?

I’m picturing 2 scenarios in my head

1. Nothing happens at first. (like in Mythbusters when the explosive don’t ignite, they have to wait forever and then send the cop guy in to diffuse it)
  2. The battery vents and it blows out the tailcap. The warsun shoots off like a rocket, breaks through the neighbors window, and burns the place down. Police investigate and find a flashlight marked “Warsun” and immediately assume it is an act of terrorism. Things escalate quickly, Obama bans black “assault” flashlights, and ATF SWAT teams come after everyone on this forum, using our IP addresses to locate everyone in the USA and confiscate their black flashlights, leaving behind only our Red and Blue Convoy S2+’s.

Haha, the first scenario is pretty likely. Li-ions are surprisingly hard to vent.

I’ll tie the flashlight down so that the body doesn’t go anywhere. The tailcap or the head might blow off, but will be cushioned by filled water bottles on the sides.

The roof itself is a big slab of cement, and I think it’s pretty safe. (Famous last words?)

heard lots of times just seconds before you need to figure out how to get out of an upside down car…

When you set up this experiment, the worse thing that can happen is NOTHING.
What do you do now??
Is it safe to approach it?
etc., etc. :~

This is bold, crazy and cool all at the same time. Good luck and have fun.

Just about ready to get out and try the setup out.

The internal resistance reading is pretty high, and 0.756Ohms means that if I push 10A through the wires, there will be a 7.56V voltage drop along the wires and the battery.

I’ll be right back. :slight_smile:

… the waiting is the hardest part …

it’s 4 AM here, I can’t go to bed now!

And…… nothing. :frowning:

So it seems like the the wires (the PCB I presume) couldn’t take the current and now I’m reading an open circuit.

I did record a video and it’s kinda underwhelming but I’ll still make some quick edits and upload it to YouTube.

I’ll open up the light, beef up the wires, and try again later today. Sorry for the wait folks!

Just leave it for a few hours before removing the battery. Then I’d leave the battery outside till you want to try again or dispose of it. Personally I’d wear a respirator with an acid gas filter. Not fond of HF.

… or at least a face shield and rubber+leather gloves …

ryansoh3?

So you used a protected cell? Or does the charge current run through part of the driver ? Either way I guess I’m not surprised it couldn’t take the current.