on/off switch-amps question

im looking to purchase a led on/off switch off ebay and it says its rated at 3amps but on my project im using a 4-5amp driver would that hurt the switch ? or is there anything i can do to mod the switch ?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/181181321369?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&\_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649

Looks like that switch is rated at 5 amp?: “Switch rating: 5a/250vac”

Not sure why they are recommending a relay for more than 3 amp then.

I can’t help about modding the switch, as I don’t have one. I would imagine that it’s not practical. If you had the space and were really concerned you could use the switch to control a relay rated for more amps - clearly you’ve got at least a little space since you’re looking at installing that large switch!

In our hobby we frequently take switches well above their current rating, so I wouldn’t worry about it unless it seems to limit you or heat up, or fails.

If you aren’t set on the little power icon, other sources carry 16mm vandal switches with higher current ratings. Take a look at FrozenCPU: 16mm Vandal Resistant Switches | Page 1 | Sort By: Product Title A-Z - FrozenCPU.com  

If you are set on the little power icon, maybe you could switch to momentary. You’d need to change the light’s wiring slightly and install a DrJones driver, TaskLED driver, SRK driver, or other driver which takes advantage of a momentary switch. At that point you’ll want a momentary instead of a latching switch.

The switch Nitro linked to is clearly stamped 3A/250VAC on the housing itself.

Ah yes, you are right… didn’t see that photo. Never mind then. :wink:

Thanks guys i think ill grab one and see what it does, i like the looks of the switch

I’d tend to go by the description rather than pic.

Edit: The “Priduction Description:” is confused as well, mentioning 3 and 5amp. Lol

im trying to find a few threads on where i seen these switches used……i think OL used one and the one who made the FlyDragon flashlight mod but ill have to see what they pushed there’s to.

here’s OL doing it to a m@g:

aaand apparently ma_sha1 did the FlyDragon you mentioned, it comes up in the OL thread:

Note that DC current ratings are usually lower for switches than AC current ratings.

I have found some nice lighted switches on banggood, you can choose different led colours and they are quite cheap <3$
Illuminated switch with power symbol

But I think it is more clever to use a momentary side switch with a smart software because with higher currents the resistance of normal switches will steal always some volts.
Metal momentary

Black with illuminated ring

Awesome just bought 2 of them