Opple Light Master III (G3) discussion thread (Cheap device for measuring Lux, CCT + CRI)

Depends which country...to Croatia is 52$ but ordering to France is 3$....

There is indeed free shipping to the UK now! Just ordered one, will see how long it takes.

This is going to become the norm I’m afraid, possibly worse. My local post office hub contacts couldn’t say anything for sure and weren’t super familiar with the procedures at the main customs hubs. Two of my last packages sat FOREVER in the hubs and then one was further delayed for over a week sitting in Memphis when it finally moved from New York. One was from Convoy and it arrived in country after 18 days or so, but it was about 59 days until it arrived at my door. Seems to be slightly better if it arrives in Los Angeles (unless it then goes to Phoenix or SLC in which case it will always move slower…then if you add Pitney Bowes or Newgistics to that….just sucks now).

I just had one from Convoy (simple order of four ring magnets) get rejected and sent allll the way back to China, which amazingly it appears that Simon received and signed for the return (often they just disappear into the cosmos…).

The new delayed service that should take effect soon appears to only affect domestic mail and will depend on how far it’s traveling across regions…that should only be a day or two for most things, but still no good. The idgit that is running the USPS now is largely to blame, all kinds of bizarre decisions over the last year and a half or so and the postal workers are feeling the brunt of it across the board.

A lot of the issues with the USPS are not the fault of the USPS at all. The 2006 Postal Accountability and Enhancement Act limited what the postal service can charge for its services, meanwhile expanding health and pension benefits for thousands of workers. The USPS doesn’t receive funding from the federal government and is only funded through revenue from shipping charges. Under these conditions, it’s amazing it can still operate at all, particularly with the hardships brought about by the pandemic (reduced workforce, increased demand for their services).

Shipping a domestic flat-rate package will cost you around $10-25 and ships via airmail with a delivery of 1-3 days. A similarly sized and weighted parcel shipped via ground with UPS could cost upwards of $50 and take weeks for delivery.

Knowing this, it’s not unreasonable that they are slowing shipping under certain conditions and increasing charges. It’s been a long time coming.

Another issue is that people are way to used to Amazon style shipping and it has made them impatient. It wasn’t so long ago that everything said “please allow 6-8 weeks for shipping”. If you are receiving an international package, expect that it might sit in customs for days or even weeks. There is huge demand for logistics right now and shipping carriers and ports are still operating with reduced staffing. You just need to be patient.

Well…maybe a bit too far OT but sure, they have been in the red….well, forever, it seems. What has happened since DeJoy was appointed is just unbelievable though. Almost all of what we’ve been seeing and are about to see are a direct result of his actions and mistakes. Goes way beyond a little tightening the belt and pivoting. For many items 1-3 days will no longer be the norm, but it’ll depend. Flat-rate is usually a ripoff but that will also be affected by the upcoming changes. It pays to check all three carriers whenever you have a parcel to send. Since “retail ground” became a service class the prices are usually a bit less expensive than the other two but not always. Amazon has actually lifted a lot of burden from the postal service (for better or worse) since they went full on with their delivery fleet, and that is about to grow some more with airlines as well…possibly to everyone’s benefit, we’ll see. I don’t necessarily buy in to the theory that “they” want to decommission and privatize the postal service but when you look at things in a little more detail (past and recent history, current appointee) it starts to look that way - great many poor decisions over the last year and some of them really can’t be undone easily, which effectively digs the hole deeper.

Oh, that's great. They must have updated that recently. I, Dave1010, and other people with me, have seen extremely high shipping prices to the UK (and some countries in the EU)

It's good to see they found a way around this though. It's not fun to pay so much on shipping.

Opple Aliexpress seems to change so many things on their prices, listing, discounts, etc.. :D

I finally got mine in, using it with a Samsung S10+. I have noticed that it does now automatically connect when I slide the unit open, I have to tell it to select a different unit.

But, what I can say is that I really like it! I have tested it with various flavors of SST-20 4000k and now see why I really like the FD2 bin, also tested with XP-L Hi, LH351D, various flavors of 219b’s and a couple of other random lights. The unit can be overdriven and will just stop reading, the fix is move the light source a few more inches away. The readings bounce around a little, I think that would go away if the source was not handheld. The Ra numbers seem to be very inline with what I would expect for the various emitters.

No, it is not lab equipment. But, I will be great for verifying bins and for correct emitters on an order.

At the price, I am very glad that I added it to my list of tools. I do wish it could measure the Rx levels, but that is a big ask of a $30 tool!

glad you got it and are enjoying the tool

Im really liking it too… finally settled my worries about which LED light bulbs to buy… using the flicker meter

also tells me Tint DUV on everything I have

even lets me compare two different batches of the same LED to each other… with actual DUV numbers, instead of lots of words… my kind of tool… more pictures, less words

I use this online calculator to input xy coordinates and obtain the DUV value

Jon, I could not agree more. Testing multiple SST-20 FD2’s, I can spot the difference in them and can really see a difference in the FA bins as well. It also confirmed that the reason I hate my TG-02 is bad PWM. I could see it but never had a way to quantify it.

What region should US users select or does it matter? I am not even sure what IBU would be. Seems to work in either.

I have not changed those settings… mine says Europe, no IBU. :beer:

more fun than a barrel of monkeys…

information is powah!

I ordered one of these from China and so far it's a lot of fun to test against my flashlights. But without instructions, I'm getting very different results from what is posted here. How far are we supposed to shine the flashlight to sensor?

which LED
which light
what data do you get

Ive been mostly using about a 6” distance from the light to the sensor… I usually test low outputs, below 50 lumens.

That's my point. Any distance from point-blank to 4-5 meters away will yield different results. What's accurate?

I'm trying to compare this lux to lumen amounts posed by flashlight manufacturers.

You can’t directly measure lumens with this. You need a light integrating device for such a task.

for Lux to Lumens, you definitely need to account for distance

here is a Lux to Lumen calculator that may help you

I use Opple for Tint DUV, CCT, CRI and Flicker features.

I have not tried to use Opple to measure Lumens, and have not used the Lux feature.

ok thanks guys

That can only work if your light has a completely uniform intensity. You have to average all the light and then calculate lux to lm specific for your measuring setup.

It’s fun and cheap budget toy :smiley:

Pros

• Not too expensive
  • Can be used while charging
  • Compact

Cons

• The last update for the app was almost 2 years ago. :rage: :smiling_imp:
  • The UI coordinates are clipped on Fire 8” tablet.
  • Battery is drained very fast.

It would be nice if we got a third party app tailored to BLF needs. We could calibrated it from the app.

Another use for Lux… comparing two different beams hotspot brightness on target…

I used a separate tool and set Both lights to 18 lumens.

I the measured the Lux from 6” away on each of them

sw45k in single reflector Tool AAA 3695 lux
sw35 in triple optic FWAA, 2586 lux

iow, the single is 43% brighter on target than the triple.

from this I infer that the single LED is 43% more efficient than the triple LED light.