Opus bt-c3100 no reverse polarity protection * confirmed*

[quote=Muto]
Did the same thing with a version 1.1
It is because the other banks are loaded that the protection is then voided.
Believe it has to do do with the toggling/alternate charging algorithm.

Anyway, on mine slot 1 just would only charge at like 150 mAh, so it was used for those wimpy 10440 LifePo’s until it got replaced with ver 2 :

I won’t trust slot one now, it reads over 4 volts with no cell inserted, I don’t think it’s safe to use the other slots because slot one is destroyed. Maybe I’ll disassemble it, and see what is toasted. It’s not like I’ll void my warranty :person_facepalming:

[quote=JakeDjanitor]

+What voltage does it read when a cell is inserted?

Pulled mine apart shortly after the issue, couldn’t see anything toasted. Probably a chip.
Good luck.

Just tried it again with 3 inserted correctly, and one backwards. Tried it on all 4 slots. Reverse polarity still works fine on my unit.

I wonder what failed on my unit, I didn’t have time today, but maybe tomorrow I can try it again, and I will see what voltage it reads for a freshly charged cell. Maybe I can take it apart and find out what exactly went wrong and short circuited . there is no way that it was just a coincidence that I inserted a cell backwards, and fried out that bay. but if it was purely coincidental, that is my luck it seems.

I am a bit surprised that others would risk ruining their charger to see if it has reverse polarity protection. But I am glad that you guys did, it makes me want to buy the same exact charger again.

I didn’t see it as a risk, since I’ve accidentally put them in backwards on multiple occasions. You can always use the charger as a storage charger. Switch it to the 3.7v mode and use it to discharge for battery storage

If you do decide to buy another charger, might consider this: Zanflare C4 for $18 at amazon with coupon

Seemed to be rated pretty similarly to the Opus, not sure if it has all the features you want, but for the price hard to not at least consider. Does advertise reverse polarity protection.

Works fine on my unit I’ve had my wife insert one backwards before and sit there all day backwards until I got home. That never happened again. But it’s worked a few times. But apparently something faulty with the unit. At least you were paying attention enough to notice right away. Since there is a malfunction with your unit. Most chargers as of today and flashlights not all but most. Have reverse protection either physical or electrical. I guess everything has a small failure rate unfortunately. Never heard of it failing on a opus before.

:blush: :person_facepalming:

I hope I never make this mistake again. I will look at that charger, but the opus was my go to charger. I still have others that will fit the bill. I will probably wait until there is a good sale either way. Also engineer 500 looks nice.

I suppose defects happen, I got a few solid years out of this charger. I will rip into it to see
What I can find and report back

With or without a cell Bay one only reads 4.88, and says full

I took all of the screws out, I did not see any burned areas on the board I looked all over. I put it all together still reads 4.88

What could cause it to read 4.88, it is almost like it must be reading the voltage that charges the cells, and it thinks I always have a cell inserted into bay one

Hey guys DO NOT INSERT BACKWARDS.
I purposely did it on bay two, it destroyed the entire unit.
I heard it short circuit. I recorded the event. 18 seconds in, you can hear it. I unplugged it quickly, I hope my cell is not destroyed. What do you guys think, is my cell safe? It was not hot

Part one, I almost couldn’t insert the cell the wrong way , I did the deed anyway

Part 2 it’s ruined

So the basic life lesson that we all take away from your misfortune, is that one should assume that any/all chargers lack reverse polarity protection AND that we should pay attention to which way we’re inserting our batteries/cells?

Do I have that correct?

Chris

Most decent chargers do have reverse polarity and short circuit protection. Strange that Opus does not, but its specs don’t list it so yeah I’d assume it doesn’t have it. Lesson is, read the feature list before buying.

Yep, I had this charger probably 4 years, not once did I inserted a battery wrong, until the other day. I figured it was ruined so I wanted to try again to be sure. And it’s definitely ruined now.

Direct out of the SkyRC MC3000 charger manual below in Q and A:

"Does the charger have built-in protection against reverse polarity, short circuitry,
overheat, overvoltage, overload, stupidity, ignorance, explorativity?
- Do not misuse, abuse, or mess around. The device was built for proper responsible usage"

So, in case of user error, don’t make user errors! :person_facepalming:
Thank you SkyRC, that solves everything :smiley:

One of the reasons for the high price of the MC3000 charger is to support their comedic writers efforts to entertain us

‘Stupid’ IS supposed to hurt. It’s built into the evolutionary process.

Chris

Good thread, and thanks for the heads up! That could have been real bad.

No problem, I figured let people learn from my mistake. I had this one for years and never had an issue. One day I was staying up to late and trying to do too much and I made the mistake. I had to do it again to confirm.

The Opus does have RPP. Jake’s Opus is defective which was already established earlier on in the thread, prior to him trying it again.

Here’s mine with 4 batteries in backwards. Reverse Polarity Protection works fine. And always has