Opus bt-c3100 no reverse polarity protection * confirmed*

Who knows. As a vaper myself, I charge at least six 18650’s a day, and sometimes more if my Q8, GT, or lantern cells need cycling. I can’t tell you how many times I’ve put flat tops in backwards. And a few times over night.

Jon at liionwholesale has the Opus for 40 bucks. Wholesale Li-ion Battery Chargers for 18350, 18500, 18650, 26650, etc – Tagged "Opus" – Liion Wholesale Batteries

https://m4dm4x.com has banggood coupon codes for them even cheaper.

Oh, I definitely agree that all chargers should have it, and most (all?) list it as a feature. But, apparently, that isn’t the case, at least with this unit.

Hopefully that is the case. It should probably be the #1 safety feature. They should also update their marketing to mention it. And if it’s not a feature, they should definitely mention that in the user guide!

The Opus BT-C3100 v2.2 has RPP. Listed in seller specs or not, I just proved that it does have RPP in several pictures I posted. Henry Xu’s contact page is here

What you proved is that your unit didn’t short out when you tried it. It may still not be an official feature, even if it works on most (or all) units. Or it may work in some configurations, but not all. For example, did you try a mix of some the right way and some the wrong way?

I have some lights that the manufacturer actually says do not support reverse polarity protection. Yet, I’ve accidentally inserted a cell in the wrong way and nothing bad happened. I suspect they actually do unofficially support it, but haven’t done the necessary testing that they’re willing to back it up with warranty support.

You may be entirely correct that Opus v2.2 supports RPP. But if it’s not listed as a feature, I wouldn’t be willing to tempt fate by messing around with it. If the manufacturer confirms it’s actually supported, then that’s good enough for me.

2.2 would have to be a hardware upgrade from the OP’s version.

Yes, in my posted photos.

-I have the Opus BT-C3100 2.2

- I have put the batteries in the WRONG way and Nothing bad happened.

-It does however, list in the manual that” You” MUST observe correct polarity when inserting the batteries.

Your test would be more than enough proof to convince me, if it wasn’t safety related. Even so, you have me convinced 90. It’s the last 10 that makes me wonder if I’m going to burn my house down if I mess with it, that still has me concerned until the manufacturer confirms it.

Edit:

Hmmm…, okay, now I’m a little less convinced it has RPP.

That manual is from 2014. I just email Henry Xu and asked him directly, even though I personally don’t have to be convinced. Will post his official response if he responds.

Powerfocus?!

Your manual is DIFFERENT than mine Robert.

None of the information you have in that picture is anywhere on my manual??

Thats the PDF manual on Liionwholesales’s website. Mine is buried somewhere in my closet. No surprise a chinese company has never updated their manual?.. lol. Yes, they are made under a few names, just like Xtar and Allmaybe. Miboxer makes them under a few names too. They also make Olight’s chargers.

Rushing to eat dinner,not great pictures but the info. is discernible from yours.

Here is my front page and back page w/ no date of any mention of powerfocus. I do not believe that is the OFFICIAL manual. I have seen that when I googled it.

I got mine last May[2017] from Liionwholesale.

PowerFocus may have been the name before Opus. Banggood used to carry them, but looks like the manual hasn’t changed much in content.

Okay, I think that’s the only way to know for sure. Everything else is speculation.

Good luck Robert. I am still waiting[over 1 year] for my FREE Opus upgraded charger.It was promised to me for all my testing!

The last I heard from Henry was last fall!! They were looking for another engineer. I emailed him again last month and have heard nothing.

Maybe because this is a different situation you will hear from him.

To be honest, I don’t really care if he responds. I know all the v2.2 chargers have RPP, which is all you can buy right now.

My first Opus v2.1 also failed from inserting the battery backwards. That was the only time I’ve put a battery in backwards. My second Opus v2.2 just failed, but a different way. This time it charged a set of 30Q’s to 4.53V. Fortunately none of those cells vented or worse. Then I rebooted it and tried a set of nimh batteries, but it quickly started acting wonky with those too. First clue was that one of the bays dropped the voltage reading from 1.43V to 1.00V, and then it continued trying to charge for a while after the batteries were removed. If someone wants to tell me I must have done something wrong on my second charger because Opus chargers are perfect, I have a third NIB Opus v2.2 to sell you.

It’s been awhile, maybe it was a certain mode that did not have protection?
I think it was quick test, or battery test?
Either way I know for a fact mi mine shorted out. It smoked, and sizzled.

If anyone is feeling brave, and does not mind burning up a $35 charger, try quick test reversed. The battery may short, it could vent or explode,or start a fire. Maybe do it outside.

Wow, yeah, that’s about the worst way for a charger to fail. While I don’t think 4.53v should be enough to cause a qood quality cell (like a genuine 30Q) to explode or catch fire, maybe it could have been if you left it for longer. In any case, I wouldn’t use those cells anymore.

Just give it away to someone you hate. :wink: