Opus BT-C3100 V2.0 "Dreamcharger" GROUP BUY Now @ $ 36. New coupon code - tatasal -(to close July 15) NOW CLOSED

code*: tatasal
does not work

Yes, it does not work anymore as this promotion has ended July 15th

Center Positive

If I charge a battery and click display to show me the mAhs after it is finished, is that accurate?

It shows how much energy the cell did received during charging, now how much capacity there is.

Thanks, I asked the question over here, at HJK’s review, and people have been explaining it.— Test/Review of Charger Opus BT-C3100 software V2 update

I know some customer purchased earlier before June won’t feel comfortable when seeing this message. I am really sorry. But I do hope your understanding that we did at our best when releasing V2.0 earlier this year.

I re-write the improvement points below and our next product step in below. Thanks for all the input and we appreciate!

+*oncerning the feedback with V2.0 BT-C3100, we are going to release a new version in August: V2.1

The changing contents are:

1. voltage refresh update rate is changed to 30s, instead of 60s.
  2. charging NCR18650B or NCR18650PF type Panasonic battery mAH data is optimized by controlling charging current level( regulate li-ion charging voltage from 5.0v to 4.65v, and its peak charging current needed will be less now), and mAH data will be correct, with our supplied power adapter used( still need to meet minimum output current to be over 3A@12v). This problem has been improved with v2.0 in the later shipments to Gear Best in June already.
  3. temperature sensing for controller board now not only turns on/off cooling fan(v2.0), but also accurate controller board temperature monitored so that over heating condition will be sensed as well. This is better safety feature when fan is not running and overheating on controller board will trigger over heat charging/discharging protection to be kicked in. We don’t recommend any operation of this charger without fan operation with v2.0 charger, especially during discharging time with li-ion batteries.
  4. improved accuracy of charging and discharging current measurement to be within +/- 3% accuracy now, while v2.0 version has 5% current regulation accuracy. This is realized through hardware change. Improved battery voltage accuracy via hardware design change.
  5. when reversed polarity batteries installed on charger, with v2.0 charger, there can have high pulse charging current existed due to pre-charging feature activated( charger detects reversed battery as 0v voltage, and treated the battery as complete flat ones, so pre-charging on flat batteries are activated and this can cause high pulse current). With v2.1 design, this pre-charging pulse is cancelled to avoid high pulse current during the time of reverse battery polarity being connected on charger.
  6. Battery self discharge and charger related leakage will lead to batteries voltage keep dropping after fully charged. Auto recharging procedure will activate when battery voltage dropped beyond 4.12v.
    7.Improved charging termination for ni-mh batteries. Much less heat generated during last charging phase period.
  7. For 4.35 and 3.7 batteries, charging CV stage starts at 4.26 and 2.8v respectively. This is helpful in reducing the charging time needed for fully charged

With the above changes done, we think this charger needs no more firmware update anymore.

Since the controller on board is One Programmable Only type, so we can’t support on line firmware grade option. And I am really sorry for this.

The XStar charger used pure DC current charging design , while our BT-C3100 uses averaged PWM CC charging algorithm. There are still debates going on with the two different charging method for nimh batteries. Some researches say that PWM type averaged CC is better for nimh or nicd batteries. However during our own research, we do find pure DC CC charging has one obvious advantage: There is no extreme high power pulse built during charging phase, while our BT-C3100 suffered this problem. This high current exists mainly when completely empty batteries are charged. When battery voltage is over 3.6v, the current is not that high at all. The panasonic li-ion battery stores much more energy at the voltage range of 2.8v ~3.7v ( about 1000mah), while samsung li-ion battery stores only 100mah at this voltage range. So extrem high current charging time needed for panasonic batteries are much longer and its charging current is much higher. We cornered around this problem by controlling the DC/DC bulk converter output voltage from 5v to 4.65v. This brings the benefits of having less high current needed, and thus have the charging capacity data improved.

As HKJ mentioned, this problem can be improved by shifting the phase of 4 charging channels, and split the high current evenly. But the controller resources is not allowing us to do so. We are working on a pure DC current charging circuit now, and I hope we can have a new model out sometime in 2015.

HKJ: Can I send our improved V2.1 for your further testing? +*

Hilarious.
I’m sure your 702 customers won’t mind that at all.

How about 4.35v termination?

Are you going to do another special price for the new version???

Henry, send it to HKJ please.

Sorry, I forgot mentioning this: 4.35v charging termination is faster now. V2.0 enter CV mode at 4.12v even with 4.35v selected. Now it enters at 4.25v for CV phase.

Yes, I will. Thanks for reminding.

Chargers are really getting advanced, better batteries, better chargers, better flashlights, and this is still just the early days.

Most of them had plenty of info available about the issues with this charger and bought it anyway, including me. #&*%$!

I’d be happy to do a board swap for one of the newer boards :slight_smile:

I can’t wait to see how this new one will turn out.

Good Day Henry Xu,
Thank You Very Much for the information.
Best Regards,
Roberta 0:)

My charger is no good.
I completely regret buying my charger.
I am sure I speak for 702 victims when I say that we deserve a $15.00 coupon for being guinea pigs in your experimental opus project.

Omg there’s no way I can buy anymore chargers.
Unless we 702 charger buyers can buy them for $20.00 each.
We spent all our money.

:bigsmile:

Now I might buy one, once HKJ reviews it. Thanks Henry for taking the time to let us know. Its also nice to see you are listening to the advice of the many talented people here.