Ordered a new 3D printer

STL is the universal format. It’s surfaces defined by triangles.

I like the idea of protection covers for lights. Ninjaflex would be great for that.

I use Solidworks and Inventor to model. I have used Slic3r and Cura for slicing, and Pronterface to control the Simple.

Not sure what all I’ll have to sell, but I’m definitely open to the idea of selling anything that isn’t easy to use with the new printer. I could probably sell almost everything that someone would need to put the Simple back together.

I know, the 3D printer works by melting the filament and extruding it onto the surface, much like a hot-melt glue gun. So, yeah, my statement, taken out of context is VERY funny! :smiley:

But, I was talking about a material that could withstand the outside temperature of some of the hot-rodded lights built here. Different plastics have different melting points, so one of the more heat-tolerant plastics might work well enough for our use.

When a flashlight gets so hot the last thing you want is to cover it :wink:

Pistolhandle?
Big heads for either reflector or lenses?

No, when a flashlight gets that hot, the last thing I want to do is touch it! :wink:

But, a cover that doesn’t completely cover over the entire light is what I was talking about. Just enough coverage to help protect from scratches and such.

Battery holder for two 18650 batteries that fits a 2x 26650 that can be used to wire the 18650s in parallel.

A worthy suggestion. I’m planning on making battery holders anyway to charge from my DC power supply, so I’ll try to make sure they fit that criteria too.

I’d be in for a few of those parallel 18650/26650 adapters, if/when you sell them. :wink:

3d printed components to make a 10 Amp tailswitch.

Custom made step up extension rings to fit bigger, deeper reflectors like the KD 84mm smooth reflector to stock bezels…

Most of the spacers and shim ideas are pretty easy.

Something like a switch housing would take some looking into, not sure how good the print resolution needs to be for consistent results on a switch.

I’m betting there’s going to be at least a month long “getting to know you” period with the printer. I’m sure it will be up and printing quickly, but really good calibration takes a while, so I’ll be tinkering for a while before I try high difficulty prints.

Probably. :bigsmile:

It sounds like a neat piece of equipment. I’m looking forward to the creations you punch out with it.

There was a thread with pictures of beautiful flashlights that someone had made with 3D printing.
Here it is!

It’s Tofty. His creations can be found on shapeways.com

I would love to have a arca-compatible tripod quick release plate with a 1” clamp to hold a variety of lights.

And here’s the famous tofty switch, now unobtainum:

Yet, 3D printed. :wink:

Edit: OOPS! Can’t be printed with filament!

Didn’t he ever get anyone to take over the Tofty switches?

Here’s a good challenge for you. I’ve tried it with mine, but got frustrated and gave up. Try making an LED centering ring that will center an XP LED into an xm reflector, like the c8. I know that with petg or nylon, the heat of the LED shouldn’t be an issue, but I could never get the finished product just right.

The printer and the bulk of the material I ordered arrived today. Time for setup and beginning the calibration process.

:bigsmile:

Hmm, helmet or handlebar mounts threaded for light heads with cable glands for remote battery packs(also printed). Likewise goodman grip or shoulder mounts (a la predator shoulder mounted laser) for scuba.