Ordered a new 3D printer

STL is the universal format. Itā€™s surfaces defined by triangles.

I like the idea of protection covers for lights. Ninjaflex would be great for that.

I use Solidworks and Inventor to model. I have used Slic3r and Cura for slicing, and Pronterface to control the Simple.

Not sure what all Iā€™ll have to sell, but Iā€™m definitely open to the idea of selling anything that isnā€™t easy to use with the new printer. I could probably sell almost everything that someone would need to put the Simple back together.

I know, the 3D printer works by melting the filament and extruding it onto the surface, much like a hot-melt glue gun. So, yeah, my statement, taken out of context is VERY funny! :smiley:

But, I was talking about a material that could withstand the outside temperature of some of the hot-rodded lights built here. Different plastics have different melting points, so one of the more heat-tolerant plastics might work well enough for our use.

When a flashlight gets so hot the last thing you want is to cover it :wink:

Pistolhandle?
Big heads for either reflector or lenses?

No, when a flashlight gets that hot, the last thing I want to do is touch it! :wink:

But, a cover that doesnā€™t completely cover over the entire light is what I was talking about. Just enough coverage to help protect from scratches and such.

Battery holder for two 18650 batteries that fits a 2x 26650 that can be used to wire the 18650s in parallel.

A worthy suggestion. Iā€™m planning on making battery holders anyway to charge from my DC power supply, so Iā€™ll try to make sure they fit that criteria too.

Iā€™d be in for a few of those parallel 18650/26650 adapters, if/when you sell them. :wink:

3d printed components to make a 10 Amp tailswitch.

Custom made step up extension rings to fit bigger, deeper reflectors like the KD 84mm smooth reflector to stock bezelsā€¦

Most of the spacers and shim ideas are pretty easy.

Something like a switch housing would take some looking into, not sure how good the print resolution needs to be for consistent results on a switch.

Iā€™m betting thereā€™s going to be at least a month long ā€œgetting to know youā€ period with the printer. Iā€™m sure it will be up and printing quickly, but really good calibration takes a while, so Iā€™ll be tinkering for a while before I try high difficulty prints.

Probably. :bigsmile:

It sounds like a neat piece of equipment. Iā€™m looking forward to the creations you punch out with it.

There was a thread with pictures of beautiful flashlights that someone had made with 3D printing.
Here it is!

Itā€™s Tofty. His creations can be found on shapeways.com

I would love to have a arca-compatible tripod quick release plate with a 1ā€ clamp to hold a variety of lights.

And hereā€™s the famous tofty switch, now unobtainum:

Yet, 3D printed. :wink:

Edit: OOPS! Canā€™t be printed with filament!

Didnā€™t he ever get anyone to take over the Tofty switches?

Hereā€™s a good challenge for you. Iā€™ve tried it with mine, but got frustrated and gave up. Try making an LED centering ring that will center an XP LED into an xm reflector, like the c8. I know that with petg or nylon, the heat of the LED shouldnā€™t be an issue, but I could never get the finished product just right.

The printer and the bulk of the material I ordered arrived today. Time for setup and beginning the calibration process.

:bigsmile:

Hmm, helmet or handlebar mounts threaded for light heads with cable glands for remote battery packs(also printed). Likewise goodman grip or shoulder mounts (a la predator shoulder mounted laser) for scuba.