P60 Drop-ins and heat

No idea. Seems like there ought to be something better that would go in somewhat soft, fill the space and conduct the heat. This was a long shot question.

Being relatively new to the whole flashlight modding thing I thought I had found a gold mine in a product called Thermalshield. It comes in a gel form as well as a putty form. The product is used in the welding industry to protect areas around a weld from the destructive heat. Spraying the product directly beside the welded area allows one to literally place an unprotected hand within inches of the weld.

It is up for grabs whether is blocks heat or absorbs it. Maybe both but it definitely manages it. Initially I filled the cavity between the driver and mcpcb pad in a p60 brill pill. It generated steam and fogged the inside of the front lens although it did a remarkable job of displacing the heat. I thought perhaps I could vent the steam out the side of the light so i tried drilling vent holes.

I think you get the idea. I eventually gave up on it (the gel version). The putty version might work better. The product is distributed by Kimball Midwest. 404 - Kimball Midwest

The product claims “OUTSTANDING HEAT BARRIER - Designed to immediately absorb and transfer heat away from metal during welding, soldering and open flame contact.

It’s a heat barrier? Sounds counterproductive.

Precisely the opposite of what we need.

did you read the description on the webpage?

Yes.

You want something that transfers heat, not isolates it.

Nice thinking OL. Your idea might be more beneficial to a quad/triple where the leds/heat is further forward in the head. Looks real easy too.

I have also tried to combat the heat issue. Wasn’t easy though.

so is the reflector just sitting on the copper pill? is the pill solid?

The description states “OUTSTANDING HEAT BARRIER - Designed to immediately absorb and transfer heat away from metal during welding, soldering and open flame contact.”

The product is really amazing. I dont think it isolates anything so much in the sense of entrapping heat. The downfall is vapor management.

i have had success with the heat issue and the p60 by wrapping a single layer of copper roofing flashing cut to size and fit around the reflector. This is with the c1 host. A thin layer of silicone grease to both sides of the copper. An xhp50 with a dd board n two imr efest 18350’s gives an ample amount of runtime although the driver does ramp down to 50% after 45 seconds.

If you read the welding product description in detail; it is made of water and clay. Evaporation of water will certainly work well to draw heat away from a weld, but will not work in a flashlight. Clay? Better stick to materials that will transfer heat from the pill to the flashlight body. Clay, once the water has evaporated (and fogged your lens) will likely serve as an insulator more than a conductor of heat.

exactly why i gave up on it.

Yes and yes. I cut the threads off the reflector. When it is all screwed into place the bezel presses the pill onto the back of the head for better heat transfer as well as the obvious (hold it all together). Turned out to be one of my favourite P60 lights.