P60 lights...?

p60 lights… or should i say “light” singular, not plural.

when i go looking casuallyfor p60 drop in lights? really the only thing i see if 50x lights and hosts.

i know, s2 series etc… but? that thing looks like a bit of a pain to work on. or is it just me?

the 501/502 series? you kinda just DROP it in, its called a “drop in”. The s2 system? is more like a… straightforward modding project.

i have seen a couple “p60” hosts and lights other than 50x series? but, high dollar “real tactical” lights and pricey dropins. Not a budget light by any stretch.

isnt there ANYthing other than the humble 50x series lights that just actually “drops in”?? in a similar price range?

i like the 501/502 lights because of the way the reflector stays on, the s2 series doesnt use the reflector.

am i missing alternatives i dont know about? that keep the reflector of the traditional DIY pill?

i ask this, because with the triples and now the copper p60s… its starting to re-ignite a slight interest. think “10 dollars interest” not 20-30and up “interest level”

Yes, look at Solarforce. They make a really solid light.

I too was going to suggest Solarforce, I have several and really like them all, they make a good light/host. But you probably won’t find one for $10, they are more like $20 for a host.

There was a list of P60 hosts on here years ago….

Found it. Its old but might be of some help.

I think Solarforce are your best bet, more expensive than the 50x ones but are good quality hosts. Looks like the L2M is $11, L2 is $11.50, and $2 shipping for any size order. I have the L2T ($17) and really like it, but I am thinking of ordering a couple more hosts while they’re available, not much new in the P60 world for several years so I’m wondering if it’s going away.

I’m also a fan of the P60s due to the modular nature and cheapness. For someone who’s satisfied with a lower-power host, they work well.

My first serious LED light was the 501b with the EZ-900 XR-E.

I also used the old Manafont XM-L P60 three-mode dropin. This was the first decent option that had no blinkie modes. It was DD on high, pulling over four amps (briefly) from freshly charged cells. It was quite the lumen-blaster for the time. I’m certain there was some thermal sag, but even so, I never had any heat related issues due to the poor heat transfer of the host. The drop-in was well-wrapped with aluminum foil though, and pressed into the tube with the help of a C-clamp… :zipper_mouth_face:

Other fun options:

The 501/504A style host: uses a single 16340/17350-sized cell for a compact light.

If you can find a 50xC host: The C designation is for a light designed to take 3x CR123a cells. The length is coincidentally the same as 2x AA cells, so with a tube sleeve and a low-voltage driver, you can make a Muggle-Friendly AA-powered light that runs from Alkaline or NiMH cells. I built a light in this configuration for a friend using a XP-G2 and it worked fantastically. I build a second using a high-CRI Nichia 219C for my father who needed the color rending to read the color codes on network wiring.

There is also a Seraphim clone that is also a P60 host as well. I purchased one several years ago and it was an awesome and robust host, with more mass and a better design than the typical 50xb style hosts…

okay… L2 black host is the one for me

I figure, i start with a 501/502 host…

add a few bucks for the 3A switch included automatically in the L2…
add a few bucks for thickness (looks beefier)…

and my 6-7 dollar host turns into a 12 dollar host anyways… ok… when i get one, L2 black it is.

Lumens Factory Seraph is a nice P60 host.