[PART 1] Official BLF GT Group Buy thread. Group buy officially closed! Lights shipping.

/\\\\\

:+1: …. :wink:

Doh

Cheers David

good question, hope its not like the pathetic one on my tn42
the strobe on that thing is utter junk
my lil thorfire c8 has a more potent strobe
no idea what those dummys were thinking, cutting the power back over half, and making it blink 5000 times per second

About serial number. Why not number it in order, first light will be 1/555, the second one is 2/555, and so on
I dont think we need to engrave text, Kiss(keep it simple stupid :D)

Please put me down for one,
hope I’m not too late…

Yes of course 001 / 555 , 002 / 555 and so on would be the way to go

Like the KISS principle but hate why it must be stupid for the second S , i had a nice work to replace it but forgot so keep it on keep it somewhat simple pending better wording :wink:

MARK
core list updated

Not sure how, but I seem to be down for two of these (possibly I asked for one then forgot and asked for another!) but I only want one, #250 in the primary and #27 in the reserve, please remove my reserve list entry.

Thanks

Wrong topic to put in :)

Yup as I admitted three posts later :stuck_out_tongue:

No we just go ahead and engrave it with Q8 :smiley:

The Miller, if it bugs you, use “Sweetie” for the second ‘S’.

I think having them serialized is an X5/X6 nightmare waiting to happen:
“I was number N on the list, why did I get number N00?!?”
“Waaah, my favorite number is 3.14, I demand that number light!”
“My numerologist tells me that the number light that I got is deleterious to my chakra, I’m afraid I must have a different one.”
“I demand a consecutive pair.”

Having them all labeled 001/555 sets the group buyers apart from the hopeful mass market lights of the future and prevents most of the above drama.

Same thing goes though, “BLF GT SPECIAL EDITION” and with the production run just “BLF GT”

Lets see, reread it three times, Yup right words in the right place

Cheers David

The only issue with numbering them individually is that people will then want to request a particular number or think they will get the same number they signed up for. This is not possible and the numbers would be completely random. By having them all the same you eliminate that issue.

Although having them indivdually numbered is fun years down the road when you track the ownership history of a light if it was posted in the for sales threads.

Yeah IF the groupbuy GT is numbered it will be clear, no number picking, no corresponding numbers with nr on list just completely random

Narsil for the Q8 (last released) was 16 Hz, but in the new version we are going forward with, I up'ed it to 18 Hz. I believe 18 Hz was derived from studies done at a police training facility - in Europe, I believe a thorough post/thread on CPF covers it - I read it a while back. Believe me - at 18 Hz it is very intense. It's the first time I can feel the effect of a strobe. It's one of those things that can un-nerve you, like, pleeeeease, shut that thing OFF.

As far as I know, don't think DEL tested it yet on the prototype GT driver, but think'n it should work fine. If it can handle the smooth ramping well, as he says it does, it should handle this frequency of a strobe.

so were talking about 18 strobes per second here ?

Yes, maybe the most intense of any flashlight strobe known to mankind.. Well, +1 on the drama

Ahh, here: http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?356772-Police-Study-of-tactical-use-of-Strobe

Clearly though, for tactical enforcement use, NarsilM's access to strobe is far from ideal, as they state in the OP of that thread - simple, clean, easy access to activate strobe - every 1/10 second counts, in a situation where there's lots of stress.

The two button solution the new Maxtoch M15 has is about ideal for this - 2nd button dedicated for strobe. You can see why/where this design of the M15 came from. Many of us here on BLF don't even want strobe, so the M15 as a tactical enforcement tool will be of limited value here.

From reading that, it seems to say that the 8 - 12 Hz range is the most disorienting, but allows the “target” some amount of movement without being detected, while the 18 - 20 Hz range was still very disorienting, though less so, and highlighted all movement to ensure safety of the LEO. So, the 18Hz setting was chosen as the best all-around. :+1:

EDIT: I read years ago that the most effective was a random, color-changing strobe. At the time, it was said that the “target” was so disoriented that they “could not” move. Maybe that was later de-bunked though?

Yes - just re-read a portion of it, you're right bout how they came to the 18-20 Hz range as being a good compromise. Most stock strobe modes are certainly in the slower ranges. Narsil inherited (stole?) the strobe/beacons from TK's Bistro I believe, but with some tweaks. I think the "Police Strobe" is the one that has a variability to it, but think it just uses timed set of 2 frequencies - would have to check.

Edit: just checked, Police Strobe - is bursts of 16.6 Hz and 8.3 Hz, no random times or frequencies: 8 blinks at 16.6 Hz, 8 blinks at 8.3 Hz, and repeats.