[PART 1] Official BLF GT Group Buy thread. Group buy officially closed! Lights shipping.

I asked for a custom 12” piece, and they said the minimum order value is $750 for custom jobs (which would require ordering a larger piece of glass)
The largest piece is 10”x12” (for $71) but I wanted a 12” diameter circle so that would need to be custom.
$71 is actually really good for that type of glass, I would just need to make a smaller design.

I see, thanks for the info. :+1:

Yeah the $71 dollars for a 10” x 12” sounds not to bad indeed. :slight_smile:

Welcome to my sense of humor. It tends to have that effect.

… and thanks for the input on lenses and such. It’s far more useful than my parlor tricks.

I hope we can get a decent lens, and I hope someone at Lumintop understands that a good AR lens is like a good martini. Instead of slathering on the goop, it should be held delicately next to a bottle of AR coating while someone whispers “vermouth”. If done right, it will be as if it’s not even there.

Put me down for one too PLEASE!

8*18650 for vs one xhp-35, in a hunk of metal that pushes past being a heat sink and more into a heat black hole… How much are you guys thinking of overdriving this thing?

You guys are crazy - love your work!

Welcome to BLF
Thanks
Will update the core list soon and idk how we stand now

TK, please elaborate, I do have olives but no Vermouth or Martini
Though I love a nice drink (cheers with my last sip of Baileys with a tad of VSOP Cognac to ease the sweetness :wink: ) and don’t know much about these two names (other then olive :wink: )

I know of a few that want an XHP70.2 in it, me included. The xhp70.2 can push upwards of 125W in recent tests and close to 9,000 lumens with no doughnut hole. So it i worth considering as a mod for sure, although it would not throw as far.

Although I think I will keep my first one as an XHP35 for max throw.

I’ll let a random web site explain it:

The AR-coated lens also has a certain cachet to it. Premium brands use AR-coated glass. They are served in unique and stylish hosts. There is a whole mythology surrounding the perfect AR lens. Unfortunately, the lens is made with glass and AR coating, one of the most fragile materials and one of the most disgusting color filters.

To make AR-coated glass, pour AR coating onto glass in a clean room, or dip it in the stuff, or otherwise slather it on. Shake out any bubbles and let it dry, assuming no dust is located nearby. Add a battery. Turn the light on. Shudder at the olive-tinted beam.

To make an AR lens look nicer, simply reduce the amount of AR coating. For extra-nice color rendition, just whisper the word “anti-reflective” as you manufacture the sheet of glass. Some of us make their AR lenses so dry that we just put in a plain piece of glass while glancing across the room to a spare purple-coated lens.

Now, I jest, but I’ll be happy if we end up with a solution which doesn’t inflict much tint shift. Some AR lenses have a very very thin coating which doesn’t affect the color much. Or there are other materials which offer good light conductivity. But it is a thrower, and I expect lux will take priority over tint, so I won’t complain if the beam comes with an olive on top.

Geez can’t you guys recognize an off the cuff joke. Log back in to the thread and boom. Sorry that I made you relive your traumatic home improvement shopping experience. I shall go to confessional tomorrow and receive my penance. You see I am most definitely not “that guy”

Can’t resist, TK you’re dead wrong on the AR coatings. The difference being, of course, quality vs budget.

Sometimes you can beat the train, sometimes you’re dead wrong. I’m glad someone around here is still willing to tell me when I’m full of it.

I really don’t have strong feelings (or even much experience) about thrower lenses though… I just like to ramble about martinis and paint mental images of Winston Churchill. But, considering that I’m not really into alcohol, large throwers, or sassy British guys, none of the above are topics on which anyone should take my advice.

Hopefully we’ll get something which is really good at letting light pass through and, given the purpose of the light, I won’t even mind if it’s green.

Personally I like good AR lenses but they are not something that will make or break a light for me by any means. In this case I am sure that something will pop up for an aftermarket AR lens at some point but it is simply not practical to use it for our price point. Plus it gives them something to change when they jack the price up after the GB.

It works TK! Just whispered “anti-reflective” and the no name flashlight instantly got brighter :smiley:

Of course it is a thrower,but I don’t want it to become a Maxtoch 2X shooter,as for its tint,because I want CW lights.

Hi The Miller when is the BLF GT going into actual production phase?

They are making an prototype right now.

So the reason you guys are sticking with XHP35 instead of 50 or 70.2 is throw as opposed to absolute power?

I do like the idea of a 125W single LED flashlight though ……

Does anybody have any links with the 125W test?

XHP70 comes in 12V
The sheer size and fins ought to assist in cooling
Should be a beast of a mod :slight_smile:

Definite throw. The XHP35 HI might be the best stock LED out there for throw. The only other stock LED's (not dedomed) that can compete are the XPL HI and the OSRAM Oslon Black Flat.

With my Convoy L6, I measured 18A at the tail with a XHP70.2 using a triple channel FET based driver runing NarsilM. Since the CREE XHP70.2 data sheet only shows up to 4800 mA on the Vf curve, I would guess Vf is at about 6.4V at 18A, therefore watts would be 115 watts (6.5V would be 117 watts), post #94 here in the XHP70.2 thread.

If the math is correct, there is still room for one more? I would like to be that one.

And don’t tell the missus: she is more into walking on shoes with a just-out-of-the-box smell.

Can you put down for 1 or at least on the back up if anyone backs out . Thanks