[PART 1] Official BLF GT Group Buy thread. Group buy officially closed! Lights shipping.

They come all the way up to 90CRI but I have not found any readily available over 80CRI. You do give up some lumens for the higher CRI but personally it has always been worth it so far.

I will try to get some beamshots when I have time. Maybe tonight.

I am using an R040 in the prototype right now for a total turbo of 6A.

That said the driver gets much hotter then when used with an R047, so you would have to be careful and not use it for long periods in turbo mode if you did that.

If you leave the Narsil thermal reulation at stock settings it will protect the driver by stepping down the power when things get too hot.

The highest recommended power output would be an R047 if you want to use turbo a lot.

If you use the ramp max most of the time and turbo for short bursts only, then an R040 should be ok.

Well TA, your humidity is down around 28% at the moment, supposed to get down to like 36 in the morning, like us. But we’re getting a line of moisture that’s sprinkling and keeping everything wet and we might ice over by morning, remains to be seen. I think the roads are too warm still for much icing, but the bridges might become a problem. Hopefully y’all won’t get all that up there.

What about a R043 or a R045 Would it be a bit better than the R040?

Looking at these at harbor freight

Or a SRA Cases EN-AC-FG-C401 Silver Aluminum

Yes, you could naturally find a spot in between, although even 5A is at the limits of the official specs for the driver, anything past that will be pushing components past the recommended levels.

Now seeing as we do that to every other piece of hardware we get, it should work, but then it might not.

Can you put me on for a second one . I like a stand to put this on the mantle lol

Please add me to the list for a 2nd GT
I hope that the 2nd GT + 35E does not exceed the maximum allowed by the law of my country: $ 200

They will ship separately, so that should not be a problem unless they happen to clear customs at the same time.

I prefer in a single package
I can enter only 3 a year covered by the tax-free franchise
The important thing is to have proof of payment, Paypal and credit card (both and that match each other) that do not exceed $ 200, when doing the customs procedures

Talk it over with Neal if you have special customs requirements. He will be the one packing your orders (well, helping anyways).

Ok, my decision to slice the dome off was kind of made for me. I was trying different focus points and at some point something got on the LED and started the dome burning.

So I went ahead and sliced the dome off to get rid of the burn. Not my best slice by any means, my Soldering iron died today (yay, now I have to find a replacement that will not cost a ton and get here this year) so I could not remove the mcpcb from the light and it was hard to get the razor in the right position.

Still even with a less then perfect slice the results are way different then I expected. I thought the days of 50% gains from de-doming were behind us?

Turns out they are not.

With the dome on I got 450 Kcd for 1337m of throw :wink: :wink: :wink:

With the sliced dome I got a stinking 700 Kcd for 1680m of throw!

So the GT now matches the best throwers on the market with 2x the lumens and an XHP70.2 LED!

Now for the results.

I am not sure what the lumen loss was as I can’t test the GT all put together but you can figure there is some loss, still over 6k if I had to guess.

The darkspot in the hotspot has been virtually eliminated now, only if you really look close will you notice it.

The only con to this is the tint shift, the tint shift around the corona grew significantly in both size and harshness with the slice.

Not unbearable but noticeable now compared to before when you could ignore it. White wall hunting is not it’s strong point like this.

Now it is possible some refocusing could improve this, it did with the domed emitter. Or using a cooler LED for the slice, a 5000 or even 5700k could work better but I don’t remember seeing any 5000k high bin XHP70.2’s in my searching.

I will play with the focus later and see what it does.

Wow, I am still amazed at the results, I didn’t even expect this much out of it. Goes to show what kind of performance you can expect when modders get ahold of this thing.

:+1:
Thanks!

As my 2nd GT will be for next year, I’ll contact with Neal when the situation calms down a bit

Ok, I just tried refocusing it and things did improve some. The corona is still more noticeable then it was with the dome on but the hotspot itself looks good.

Overall compared to most throwers running dedomed LED’s, this is downright good looking.

The only time you really notice it is when looking at a white wall. In the wild it is really not an issue, particularly at the ranges you would be using this since the corona won’t travel that far and all you really see is the hotspot anyways.

I can see an xhp70.2 mod being really popular with this light.

It handles the heat really good as well, it does get warm after a few minutes but nothing compared to most lights I own, it never got uncomfortable in the ~5 minute bursts I was using it.

Del, you did an amazing job with this driver, it is a perfect match for the xhp70.2, after this is where you run into diminishing returns anyways.

I’m going to need someone to do this mod for me after I get to play with it in stock form. I don’t trust me self :smiley: :innocent:

OMG!

I am interested in your MCPCB
Group buy?
I would like to have a photon cannon :sunglasses:

I’m already Geekity over this… damnit… i can’t sneak a 2nd past my wife right now! :frowning:

How many days the difference between the first and second deliveries are Neal planned?

That has not been confirmed yet. I asked about it earlier today.