[PART 1] Official BLF GT Group Buy thread. Group buy officially closed! Lights shipping.

OF COURSE I GOT A EMAIL AND DID AS IT ASKED RIGHT DOWN TO THE DONATION.
I would never jump the list or do anything wrong here or anywhere .

Do we get a general notification here from Neal when the shipping from the first wave begins!? :partying_face:

Thank you !

Thanks! I would imagine that this LED is among the highest lumen output for it’s die size?

Please add me to the list for one light.
Thank you

Yes, lumen output per area is also called intensity and is measured in cd/mm^2.
The Black Flat is #2 highest intensity LED we currently know of.

Oh, I see. You misunderstood me. I wasn’t saying that at all.

When I said “you can’t even see anything” I meant “you can’t even identify anything”.

Also, it is just a tiny dot. A 100 meter circle of light at that long a distance is a tiny dot. Now if you use binoculars then things are different. Then you can identify things.

How am I not “letting people do what they want”? This makes no sense. How would that be physically possible?

Keep in mind that I’m simply playing devils advocate. I’m being the ying to the yang. Making sure both sides of the situation are known. This site is all about learning so I felt I should point out some of the downsides since no one else has.

I feel we are just cluttering up the GT thread.

Thanks! So what is #1? :smiley:

Idk about you, but I could clearly identify that part of the radio antenna at 1km in the pics I posted without any binoculars.
And that spot is only a few meters in diameter, not like the giant 50-100m that it would be with a GT.
I guess not everyone has 20/20 eyesight though.

Another “fun” part about a superthrower is not what is at the end of the beam, but the beam itself.
A lot of people on this forum enjoy throwers for the beam they create, which is very impressive.

“let people do what they want” is an english expression that can also mean “let people do what they want without criticism”
If your opinion is “its a tiny useless spot and you can’t see anything” then good for you, you can keep that opinion to yourself.

Very small size and low lumen output. I recently bought some of them for use in a special searchlight.

Had I not been laid off recently (after 36 yrs with same employer, due to re-structuring = getting rid of the old folk, welcome to The Netherlands) I would have ordered a second light, to customize with Oslon Black Flat, just to see how far it would go and to play with it during the night time……….like they say, men will always be boys :smiley: :+1: :wink:

Cheers
Nico

Cool! How hard can you run this LED with fairly good heat sink? Would like to see some photos of one of these in your searchlight! :+1:

Hi guys
i am 1156 on the list when can we hope to see the email and delivery of this fine flashlight
just that we have so many posts now getting a bit lost with everything
cant wait to get it
thanks

The test in that thread is done on a heatsink, and it seems to top out at ~1A, not sure if you can get much better than that, I will do a test next week myself to double check.
I’ll definitely post pics and make a thread once I start building my searchlight :slight_smile:

That’s not my opinion.

I’m just trying to tell both sides of the coin. I want to educate people that there are tradeoffs.

Like if you want more lumens, you create more heat and get less runtime. It’s a trade off most folks know. When it comes to the focusing of beams and how narrow they are, you also get tradeoffs. This is important information people may not know.

I’m curious, why would you tell anyone here at this forum to keep their opinion to their self? This whole forum is about opinions. All the reviews, the lights we built, the ones we modify, the prices, the user interfaces, etc… They are all opinions. Opinions are good. We all learn from them.

If no one gave their opinion, what kind of forum would this be? It probably would not have been popular and just fizzled out.

Well, I can tell you how far it would go :slight_smile: better than nothing
~2Mcd
2800m ANSI distance
500lm in the spot and 200 in spill
88m max spot diameter at 1km (outer edge of corona)

Values may vary a bit since the LED will be brighter at turn on and then dim a bit after a few minutes due to heat.
The most it should probably be run at in the GT is 4-5A, 6A is definitely too much.

Everyone on the list from 1050 and up should get their PM to order in early January when Neal gets back.

I already explained to you that “you can’t see anything at that distance without binoculars” is not true.
I also explained why people do want smaller hotspots, which you said you “don’t understand”.

The problem isn’t your opinion, it is the way you said it.

This doesn’t sound like you’re “educating” more like you’re putting people down for their choices.

Modding into a superthrower with a small high intensity LED is something we wanted this light to be able to do when we were designing it 10000 posts ago.
A small hotspot is perfectly usable for long distance.
You do not need binoculars.
It will not be a “tiny little dot”.
The beam will also be much tighter than the giant flood you get with an XHP35, and look amazing.
I highly encourage anyone who wants to to mod the light with a dedomed XP-G2 or a black flat to do it, especially if you don’t intend to use the flashlight for close range (less than 100m)

Can you add me to the List for one Flashlight?
Thank you!

[quote=Enderman]

Ok, sounds good! Look forward to seeing your write-up! Just curious to know how many lumens it produces at ~1A?