[PART 1] Official BLF GT Group Buy thread. Group buy officially closed! Lights shipping.

Joe? ….I think you mean our friend Neal? :stuck_out_tongue: :wink:

I doubt they will be charged, but just put them in the charger and see?

I’ve been involved in a payment dispute, and have been pretty much skint (that’s ‘broke’ for non-UK residents) for the past month. Now that everything’s been resolved, I should hopefully have the cash sometime in the next few days. Can someone please tell me if my coupon will still be valid (I was in the second batch)? Thanks.

Oh ok thanks,i was hoping i was on the list i don’t care how long it takes. just want one of those awesome lights…

Prodeje79, just drop the cells in the C4-12 and let it handle the charge rate, it’s going to anyway regardless of what you set it on. The cells ship at around 3.6V for safety reasons, so they’ll need a full charge to get you going. They’ll work as is, to see what the light is all about, but you’ll need to charge them fully and then try to keep them there. :wink:

Just got mine. wondering why are you doing this? Do I need to take mine apart?

7.5 x 8 x 11 inches. This is the outer box.

Charge them first, helps check if any of the cells are dead before you put them in a sealed aluminium tube and inadvertently make a pipe bomb- when you load the cells into the charger it will tell you what the voltage is, all cells should be the same voltage.

Lithium ion cells go from 4.2V (full) to 3V (empty). Never short circuit them (ie, don’t carry them loose in your pockets with keys or coins).

Always ensure cells are all the same state of charge when you put them in the light (ie, they’re all full).

Don’t leave cells charging unnatended or overnight - this is an old-school safety warning before the proliferation of”safer” chargers, I still do this, I don’t trust the QC of factory assembly lines.

I’ve made it sound more scary than it is, but give liion cells the samee respect you give gasoline - they are high density energy sources - and you’ll be fine :beer:

I think I know why some people have been reporting smoke inside the reflector…

After opening mine I noticed that there is a lot of gunk around the MCPCB and black centering ring, It probably is soldering flux but it really seems excessive, I am going to clean it up and replace the heatsink compound with Artic Silver 5 after I polish the underside and change the LED to a tint more to my liking.

Take a look at what I found…

When you put the cells in the C4-12 it will tell you their voltage right away.

Contrary to what DBCustom said, you can select your charge rates as long as it’s still in its “bulk charge” range like around the low 3 volt range to about 3.9v to 4v. Once it gets at these upper voltages it starts to taper off the charge current.

After about 1 or 2 minutes it will usually lock onto a charge rate. It will display it for each cell. It usually does a good job of selecting a charge rate. Sometimes I might put identical 18650 cells in and some cells might charge at 1A and another at 0.85A. I think it has to do with tiny differences in the contact between the cell and charger tabs as the ones that have the lower charge rate usually show higher internal resistance. I reset the cell in the charger tabs and the resistance will drop down to a more accurate level.

Sometimes I’ll set all of them to 1A so they all finish about the same time.

When I first started using the C4-12 I would always check the charge rates to see how good a job it did at predicting them. Now I trust it and let it do its thing.

It should still be good.

Nope, people just like to take things apart.

Like AlexGT said, some folks worry about getting a little puff of smoke if turned on to turbo for a long time. So they feel better about opening it up to check everything. Since the emitter is screwed down you can remove the reflector and let it run on turbo to make sure there is no puffs of smoke when everything gets real hot. Then put it back together.

Wow! That’s really wet.
I think I will open mine to clean it too when I get mine.

Thank you TA for all the updates and explanations. It takes a lot of time and effort and patience to do that.

I’m pretty patient. Besides, I already have a Q8 and Emisar D4 to keep me busy while I wait. I have you guys to thank for that, too.

If I remember in original OP while in agust, Miller told me the light will shipped in two boxes on registered mail…… It changed?

If the reflector of GT was like these electroformed ones,how much throw gain would have?

Jason reports how his C4-12 works, I report how mine does. When I change the charge rate it always, within a couple of seconds, changes it to what it wants. I haven’t found a way to lock mine in to a manual setting. Could be it’s there, but I’ve yet to find it (and I’ve tried, the manual doesn’t clearly state this, mine always reverts to auto)

Thanks! That’s larger than the box waiting to be picked up. Will find out today :slight_smile:

Let’s make sure we are both using the same steps. It’s tricky since there is only one button. First, I select which battery, then I press and hold the button until the charge rates blink. I click the button going through each rate until I get to the one I want. Usually it’s just 1 or 2 clicks. Then I wait several seconds and it switches to that rate and drops out of programming mode.

Then I can confirm it when the screen cycles from voltage, internal resistance and charge rate. It always stays at what I choose unless the voltage is already high enough that it starts to taper off the charging current.