[PART 1] Official BLF GT Group Buy thread. Group buy officially closed! Lights shipping.

It’s sort of in the definition of luminance, which is cd/mm^2. Do you believe that you can calculate the cd above a bare LED if you know its luminance and area?

Then to extend it to an optical system like a reflector is surprisingly simple. When you look into a properly focused reflector it is like the entire reflecting surface has the same luminance as the LED. This is true because the luminance in optical systems is constant. Normal optics cannot change the luminance. I’m sure this is proven somewhere. Check out that DrJones thread on the subject that I have linked in our recent discussions several times.

If you look at many different lights you will find that the relation holds approximately. Of course there will be some differences caused by different reflector qualities and non optimal focus and driving currents.

ooh … add me to the interested list please

I don’t sorry I didn’t even think to post it here - possibility due the hangover from my works xmas get-together lol.
I’ve binned the tube and the light is in my car out with the missus ATM. I will see what I can do tonight :beer:

Interesting Jock!
In the mean time grab a DVD and a S70/L6 and a SRK type light
Just sit it in front of you and feel the size of the soda can tube
Put the DVD on top of the S70/L6
Size will sink in a bit :wink:

I see what you mean, yeah that makes sense.
By using a formula however we should be able to calculate how large the spot it, how much corona there is, etc…
So basically make an artificial beam profile :slight_smile:

Flashlight is huge. I'm afraid it will not go in the pocket lol

height of man's 185cm lol

I think I am in love……. :heart_eyes:

Thanks for the drawing 5ar, seeing the model in a hand I noticed that the crenelations are way too sharp, why don’t you soften them up at angles like the Acebeam K60 has?

Like this

hahaha I love the renders xD

+1

Bloody huuuuge in hand lol

Putting the man aside, the light is pretty cool.

I actually can’t put into words how happy I am with that setup (with possible minor tweaks). It is exactly what I wanted when we started this project. A big hulking light that had the performance to back up the look.

I am so excited to see that light come into being I am not sure I can wait for it lol.

Hell with the XHP35 that Bad Boy will make a XHP70 look like a XP-G2! :smiley: :+1:

im thinking around the same lines.
we need a different led.

The LED has already been decided on and over 90% of people are ok with the XHP35 HI.
The only “better” option imo would be a CBT-140 which costs over $150 and requires like 4x more power.

Nice 5ar!! Can I ask what you used to create that rendering?

Phoenix Electroforms is not an online store, but a manufacturer of optics via the electroforming process. They have a line of “standard offerings” shown on their website which are generally in stock and reasonably priced, but they make custom parts and do large runs as a matter of course. They also have a lot of items “on the shelf” that are not part of their standard offerings, but they are made and ready to sell, which is to say you do not always have to pay for a mandrel to be made to get what you need if what you need is not one of their standard offerings. So you see, they had what I needed when I needed it despite it not being a standard offering.

Maya!? :beer:

There is a much better option. I’ll let you guess what it is tho. :innocent: :smiling_imp:

That is why you design a belt clip… :smiley:

I am afraid I will need a license for carrying that around lol…

Outstanding and just how I imagine it !!!

Dedomed or slice domed XHP-50?