Perils of flashlight photography. Found the Hornets nest! Pics in OP (Updated 8/7/16)

Wow if I see a snake it goes fast away so all but two one a piece of the tail.
Nice pic!

Oh I have a rather good idea since our wisteria is hanging above the front terras (~10*3meters) and is buzzing with them when there are flowers, they really like it
And the chickens will probably like them :wink:

Well, wasps and hornets are known to do that. And although you don’t have actual footage of the alleged perpetration, with the wasp carcass and giant knot it should be a slam dunk. You were in fact stung by that little guy. But no, it’s likely not an Oscar worthy production.
Me, I’m here in California and haven’t been out of the city in ages. Rarely in the past 15 years at my house have I seen any wasps etc. Would have to head elsewhere which I’ve also rarely had time to do. This thread about wasps and hornets turned into kind of a treat. An interesting and informative scope of blogging from the incident. Thanks contributors.

Wait…what? They do?

Sure do. :smiling_imp:

Yes

Interesting. So if I’m going to be in there vicinity for a time, I’ll bring my manners.

>> They do learn people’s faces, so they’ll leave you alone more as time goes by.
> if I’m going to be in there vicinity for a time. I’ll bring my manners.

Exactly. Thanks for the citations to the recent science, Papaslightsaber.

Again, I recommend

Wasp Farm. Howard Ensign Evans. Natural History Press, Garden City, N.Y., 1963

Well, I guess that explains why they’re all out to get me then. I’ve gone through a dozen cans of wasp and insect spray this summer. A poster of my face is probably plastered inside every hive and nest in my county.

Wanted man - STING ON SITE!

Hahahahaha
They made a special WillyD dance :smiley:

> a dozen cans of wasp and insect spray this summer.

The more you spray, the worse it gets, eh? Hmmm ….

FBeeI most wanted list.
I crack myself up.

That one’s a Spammer (or spambot)

Set the search to “verbatim” to see they’ve been posting the company’s link in blogs wherever people mention wasps. Sad.

EDIT — ah, the spam post is gone for now. Thanks, y’all.

Adding to the OP… But here’s the pics.

Found the lair… it’s about 60 feet away in a tree… about 5 feet in the air. I was bumping up against this tree on monday evening with the lawn mower. Oops. I saw them flying into the nest as I was BBQing tonight.

Worst set of stings I got as a kid was when my dog peed on a ground nest next to a tree and I had my hand all wrapped in the leash. My dog thought they were flying candy (hairy Sheppard mix) and I was out weighed by him and had two less legs for traction, so he wasn’t swayed by my pulls. Maybe thirty seconds to get myself untangled after trying to pull him away while he ate winged treats. I had over 15 stings, but was fine except for the local pain… To this day I look where I am going to piss when out doors…. I mean, you can pinch the stream, but it is bad form to be running through your neighborhood with the winky out…

Whoaz! that thing is no joke!

Yep, you’ve found their lair, and now your options are open on what to do. Plus you know where NOT to aim beamshots!

You need to do something about the opening on the tree anyway since it’s an open door for tree-killing insects and rot. Not my specialty but I do know that much about trees :wink:

Phil

Are they into mountain climbing or in this case tree climbing? Nice colored ropes. :slight_smile:

Mostly got stung by stingers floating in the pool with no bee attached whenever I was little or stepping on them playing grass doubles volleyball barefoot later in life. Bees aren’t a problem, paper wasps are intimidating but not very common, yellow jackets are both common and aggressive, especially when using noisy power tools and they go for head shots as well. I’ve seen the black carpenter bees and their perfect round nest holes but never had any run ins.

Well we’re renting… I’m gonna leave it alone for now, but I’m going to have to be extra careful when mowing the lawn now. I’ve never had such a large nest so close by in my yard.

That’s either a dog lead or close line, left by the last renters. I will NOT be removing it now. Also there’s a cool mushroom growing near the entrance of the nest.