PICs of the modded de-domed DST - Confirmed XML2 best setup

I believe you that you have created a very powerful light. I am a data person, so good data is what I live on. If you don’t trust your data, then I thank you for not posting it and claiming it as accurate. An alternative would be to post a side-by-side beamshot (i.e. two in the same photo) with the disclaimer that you don’t trust your data, it’s uncalibrated, the moon was out, a bug got in my eye, whatever you need to say to make you comfortable with posting the shot. I still like to see numbers, but two beamshots in the same image can be compared quite easily and faithfully. Even on a cell phone camera.
I (and my DST) will be waiting… :wink:

credit where credits due, its a really nice looking build.

I’m planning on using the new 3a 1 or 2 cell driver from intloutdoor, a high cri xm-l2 emitter and a tube MrsDNF sent me, this gives me options of (using sleeves/adaptors) 3c or 1 or 2 18650 or 1 or 2 26650, I could at a pinch mcguiver in 3aa too at reduced output, this would make this a goto bug out bag light and with the warm emitter, give a real nice incan esque light which is my main aim, an led old school feeling light.

I am going to pinch your de-ano/polishing tricks though as they look kick ass, for stupod throw, as johnnymac mentioned in your other thread, I’m playing with a couple of convoy l2’s and various emitters to find the right set up, my first build uses a 3a driver and an alu mounted nw xp-g2, the next iteration is a 5a driver and copper mounted emitters, give this light a look as it can be built 1 cell or 2, just my preference is two cell, I like toilet plungers if their built right and the extra head room is a boon with the higher vf emitters.

so give me a week or so. I’d like to see you duplicate it which should be no sweat with your obvious skills.

However be prepared for a couple of hotspot-saturated pics that the like of an Agent X would give me grief about. :smiley:

Nottawhackjob I really like the look of this light.I think the polished look really brings the DST out of ho-hum country,I will probably do this to mine.Too bad about beamshots I would have liked to see them and the range you get with this beast.

I fully expect the hotspot to be blown in any beamshot with a DST. I know because I’ve tried to get the spill captured and the hotspot in one shot. Like most throwy lights, not a chance without HDR. I’ve never tried HDR on a beamshot… hmm.

Would you mine taking beam shots? Pleeeeeease!!! :smiley:

The next chopped DST I’ll do will have a de-domed coppered XML2. Or lemme rephrase this by saying that the next pill will have a coppered XML2.

Everything else will stay the same. It should be a scorcher.

Thanks for showing us your mod. This is one off my favourite hosts for modding. You have shown us what can be done without having an extensive workshop. I’m looking forward to your next mod.

Naah,I think I embarass my self enough with my high definition cell phone beamshots I post.My DST is stock right now but seeing how it can look will change that soon.

Troll: Urban Dictionary

One who posts a deliberately provocative message to a newsgroup or message board with the intention of causing maximum disruption and argument

Nothing in this thread has anyone Trolling, notawhackjob had a few boarderline troll posts in his last thread.

No more broad sweeping statements :wink:

That is my understanding too. I deleted my last post as I realized it was inspired out of an angry reflex to past unrelated experiences.

Though I want to see the beamshots so that I can see how good (or bad) this FL is. But congrats to the “modding” job.

No worries 4wheeler, we are all family here :slight_smile:

As long as you take all pics with the same setting it should still give us an idea how bright or how well it throws compared to other lights. Lots of us do not have really nice equipment but just use what we have and they are still enjoyed. I know that I enjoy all of the beam shots.

All a matter of opinion. I was speaking more in the general tone of denying anyone who thought his data may be okay. Why not post up and allow others to take that grain of salt… even a cheap camera can show beam profile like wanted here but no….he doesnt think its accurate lmao

I’m not sure I’d call that trolling, but I’m still hopeful for a comparative beam shot with a DST on c cells

No, my cell camera cannot get the nuances as Comfy mentioned his also could not show on the X8 from his giveaway.

After looking at my DST on the wall earlier tonight, it would have the same problem (there are multiple hot spot rings before the spill that do not show with a cheap camera that can’t be set to manual).

Still, lux readings at 5 meters wouldn’t seem impossible for most anyone with a meter to do with fair accuracy (even if it isn’t the ideal distance). Just do them on the mod light and on a common un-modded light for reference.

Try setting the lights on a surface on their sides parallel with the ground, so spill and spot can be seen stretched. That will give some idea of beam profile without all the glare.

@nottawhackjob IMHO, you should give yourself more credit. That’s a beautiful light you created there! I like it so much, I want to do mine like that. Hope you don’t mind :wink:

BUT, there’s 4 different types of Greased Lightning! Which one to get from the ones below?? I did find the Orange Blast at Walmart & I found a super deal at Dollar General on the Super Strength now till the 21st, $2.00 for a 40oz bottle w/a .75 cents off coupon on the bottle, in case anyone is interested.

MULTI-PURPOSE CLEANER

SUPER STRENGTH CLEANER

ORANGE BLAST® CLEANER

AUTO CLEANERS

version of the second from the top one at Home Depot. At least I’m pretty sure that’s the version. As I had mentioned I’m out and about right now so can’t check the container. In any case FWIW I tend to get extra-strength liquids whenever possible becuz IMO for non-commercicial applications they already dilute most products down enough already so clueless Joe Blow homeowner doesn’t sue them. :smiley:

And thanks for the compliments! 8)