Pilot Pens : My Other Obsession

Oh yes, very similar.
Collecting them, buying pens and inks from overseas and waiting for them forever. . . :smiley:
I love (budget) flex nib pens the most.

For Pilot:
I’m not so much into ball or gel tip pens, but I absolutely love my Pilot parallel pens.
So much fun for fraktur and other calligraphic hands. :slight_smile:

I had a somewhat similar obsession with gel pens when I was in high school. I ended up with 600+. I think I still have ~150 stored away somewhere.

I’ve been collecting tactical pens. None of them come with gel ink but the cartridges are easy to find. They look good, write good and make great self defense tools.

Yep, I have a few :slight_smile:

I like the ball point FINE. Mostly Blue but they also come in Purple, Green and Red.

As far a mechanical pencils, I prefer Pentel fine tip, 0.5mm

Got these on clearance for 50 cents per pack.
Here’s a 2 pack for $4.95 http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/220999721593?lpid=82

I was waiting for you to chime in dchomak .

-Garry

The last time we talked about pens, What's your favorite cheap pen?
I didn’t post a picture of mine because I thought it might be weird.

But now I know nothing is too weird for this bunch!

I used to love the G2 but I’ve moved onto the Uniball Signo .4mm.

I will see your OCD obsession and raise you. Not only do I drain them, but I save the parts for repairs to others. Have you drained more than 1 refill in the same host?

I’m working on it now! Nearly got a .7 spent and three more newbies soon to have their life-blood sucked out of them. My cousin even made up an “all the pens in the world!” mock-supervillain in my honor. It has become my goal to drain all of Pilot’s black ink forever! |(

yes, 6 times. with a Zebra pen G-301. the refills go out in no time, but I like the pen, so I justified the refills.

I have since switched over to whatever gell I can scrounge up, but the zebra still is almost always in my pocket because it clicks almost silently, and I have a habit of clicking it all day long.

I recently did this: pilot g2 mont blanc , and it writes like a dream.

I have also saved some "spent" pens for parts. I don't go crazy keeping every one though.

-Garry

Once I tried the Uni Jetstream and 207 pens that’s all I use now. Much better than the Pilot G2 to me.

By the looks of this thread, I’d probably be happy with any of the pens recommended here, so I’ll make a list and see what I can find next time I go shopping in the City. But it seems like this is the perfect place to expand the operating parameters for this pens and ask if anyone knows if some are better than others for outdoor field work, similar perhaps to this one that MEC sells, and for which their description reads:

Edit: This thread got me very interested, which led me to this comprehensive review which seems to echo the comments that everyone here have made already. They seem to think that the Jetstream is #1, folowed by the Signo 207, and the Pilot Precise. They apparently do not like the G-series. I also found the comments in that instructable interesting to read, where some think it would be better to do the opposite of the instructable and get a Parker Jotter body and put G2 refills in it. Makes me wonder if you could find some sort of fancy body and put Jetstream refills into it.

I’m off to our local Office Supplies store as I’m very curious now to see what they may have.

For outside work and outdoors have a look at the Uniball PowerTank or the Tombow AirPress.

The G2’s is smooth but blobs a lot. As for gel pens I prefer Uniball Signo or Zebra Sarasa. Both have really good ink, and is these inks are nearly indelible. The disadvantage of gel pens: The cartridges don’t last long.

Thanks kloppholz,

I just got back from the Office Supplies store. They didn’t have anything like those two, so I will watch for those. The Powertank looks like it would be easier to find.

In the meantime I bought a few clickies: Jetstream, Pilot V5, Signo 207, and a Frixion.

Tsellers, check out this titanium pen, according to them 30 difference kind of refills will fit. https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/klinkokids/solid-titanium-pen-stylus/description

I think I just lost my Fisher bullet pen. It’s really small when capped. Writes upside down which is useful when you have to put your paper on a wall to write. And it writes on darn near anything. I’m gonna miss it. The Uni Signo 207 continued to write to a little below zero this winter. I never tried the Jetstreams outside in the cold.

okyeung

Thanks for the tip. I ended up at their international website and I am very tempted by that Solid Titanium Pen because it looks like the one that will take the Jetstream refills. It makes sense to invest in a nice host that can use the refill of your choice for sure, so you’re not carrying a cheap plastic pen all the time. It would be nice if it would also take that UniBall Power Tank refill that was mentioned by kloppholz, but unfortunately I don’t see it on their list. The most critical of the reviews for it mention it could also be considered a tactical pen. I tend to lose the caps on these style pens, so I may also look and see what these guys have for clicky styles.

Thing is, I have to be able to SEE the ink drop, which is why I like the Pilots. And the ink is runny and never leaves me tiring my hand out by pressing hard to get a thicker mark.

I just found this pen: karas kustoms retrakt, looks like a solid host for a host of diferent refills.”
review here”:Karas Kustoms Retrakt Prototypes - Pen Review — The Clicky Post (the clicky post)

my only two concerns are that the knurling is to strong, and if I lose it, I am out $50.