Pit Bulls and kids!!! If you own either, please read.

I would have put a bullet or two in it…especially if it happened to a kid. In these days you’ll do more time in jail for killing a dog than you would for killing a person :person_facepalming:

I agree with this. Tiny dogs can be much more likely to bite out of fear. They won’t kill you though so the danger is limited. I would never bother to shoot one because it nipped my hand or something.

Rots were a breed I used to think were really nice until I had a few scary moments over the years with them. Now, I don’t trust them. Never been bit but I have seen Rots act very scary at times.

Wolf mixes are not in the same category as other dogs. They probably shouldn’t be legal to own. Why mix a domesticated dog with a wild animal? Makes no sense. A wild animal can never be trusted in the same way as a domestic dog. A hybrid is unpredictable because you don’t really know what traits you are getting.

There are so many things that can set a dog off. Fear, desire to protect, breeding, training, seizures, confusion, etc. I love dogs but they are animals and there is a risk with even the nicest one. I don’t understand why people intentionally add more danger to owning a dog by choosing breeds that are known to be aggressive or unpredictable.

I don’t have small children in my home but if I did, I wouldn’t have pit bulls, wolf mixes, Chows, Rots, Pomeranians, or Grayhounds. There are lots of good breeds, too many to name but it seems you can pretty much choose any sporting or gun dog and be safe. You almost never hear of a Golden retriever attacking people or other dogs and they are one of the most common dogs out there.

I’d shoot the dog if it had bit my kid. No matter what the cops or neighbours say.
It could have been the girl’s throat as well.

Recently couple of large dogs dug under the fence and scared my daughter (7yrs old) in my garden.
Happily I heard the barking and kid screaming and ran out and scared them away. I don’t know what could have happend if I hadn’t.
Next time I see them in my garden, I’ll stab or poison them. I don’t care.

I don’t want to argue semantics, but half her stats are available CDC stats. Law enforcement is evolved in virtually every incident, which is how news reporters find out about them. If the indecent is collected by news report, doesn’t make it untrue like it never happened.

My Veterinarian Brother has no public opinion on “breed specific laws” as he treats all animals, even though he has euthanized a few that police have brought in through court order. His personal opinion, is that they can be extremely dangerous dogs along with Rottweilers, chows, and a few others, and doesn’t recommend them as family type dogs.

Lots of misinformation here. I’ve had two pits starting when I was 3 years old ( I now have a Doberman). Sweetest two dogs I’ve ever had, never even heard that pitbulls were a “killer breed” until I was in highschool and some of my friends came over and told me to watch out (for what I don’t know). I remember when my first one ran in front of my 5 year bro and shielded him from 2 big strays and how she would always take the lead when we would walk by the house with the crazy akidas (persumbly to protect me). I’ve took in a stray Chihuahua mix and it bit people constantly (small breeds like that are way more aggressive then big breeds, we should ban them too).

All dogs can bite! Tell your kids not to mess with dogs. Most of them don’t have a sense when they’re pushing the dog too far. When kids come up to my Doberman and start “petting” him (randomly slapping his back, face etc.) I Wana slap the shit out of the parents, he will never bite them though that’s just how he is. And I could give a f about what a cop says they shot dogs and black folks on the daily, like I trust what they say. Stop spreading misinformation with heresy! Remember “Fake news! Bad!” No alternative truths either please.

KutKhemist

If kids reached your dog, that’s YOUR failure that they will be bitten.

Kids are not experts in how to pet a dog so that it doesn’t rip their face off.

And “will never bite” is apparently what every owner says. Till it happens.

You can’t keep your dog constrained - your fault.

Bred to attack, prone to attack…

Horrible stories, hope everyone will be okay.

Yeah, but those fighter dogs are bred to bite hard and deep, as you can clearly see by their enormous jaw muscles.

Jerommel
Everything will be okay after the dog is euthanized, and the owners sued and pay off the damage (but how can a kid’s mangled face for life be paid off - no idea). And the damage amount must be awarded in hundred thousands of bucks.
Either they sell their home and move to a carton box to pay off, or they go to jail.
But next time they’ll think about responsibility before letting a dangerous dog out.

Most fighter dog type dogs i see on the street are owned by people that seem to want to be ‘tough’ and even ‘dangerous’ looking.
4$$holes basically.
And it’s those types who are looking for the most frightening dogs to own, so there’s definitely a market for dangerous breeds.
Wishy washy authorities don’t do enough to stop it.
Lib-tard-ism isn’t something exclusive to USA… (but the opposite often sucks too…)

Anyway, i.m.o. (but i’m not an expert) it doesn’t have to go wrong when you own a fighter breed dog, but it can, totally unexpected, as has been proven all too often.
But it doesn’t really matter who is to blame.
They just shouldn’t be kept as pets.

My 6-yr old just did not pet or come close to the dogs that attacked her.
You MIGHT be an expert in teaching small kids how to behave if attacked by dogs, but all that mine have learned is run away and scream with fear, because both dogs were in a bigger weight category than her.

Next time it will be knife or axe or hayfork, I don’t care who the owners are - you can’t keep your beast locked up - bye bye.

KutKhemist
It’s like you see a hand grenade dropped in a kindergarten and kids playing football with it and kids and toddlers are smart scholars and won’t pull the ring, and you have plenty of time to halloo who’s the owner.
Or get rid of the thing as soon as possible.